Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

I am ****ing sick of ruck contests becoming a wrestling contest. The competition is made for the O’Briens and Nankervis types. Chris Scott whinging about his poor rucks constantly running at their opponents with no eyes for the ball. We have a young jumping ruck, not given a chance to jump. But when Pitto emulates the contact first style, he is pinged every second contest.

It used to be a tip off with physicality, now it is a grappling contest. Many rucks wrap arms around opponents and get away with it time after time. Often when “less skilled” rucks return serve, they are pinged with some mysteriously nuanced decision prohibiting them from doing the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am f****** sick of ruck contests becoming a wrestling contest. The competition is made for the O’Briens and Nankervis types. Chris Scott whinging about his poor rucks constantly running at their opponents with no eyes for the ball. We have a young jumping ruck, not given a chance to jump. But when Pitto emulates the contact first style, he is pinged every second contest.

It used to be a tip off with physicality, now it is a grappling contest. Many rucks wrap arms around opponents and get away with it time after time. Often when “less skilled” rucks return serve, they are pinged with some mysteriously nuanced decision prohibiting them from doing the same.
The way I see it, Pitto gets pinged all the time because he just runs through when his opponent jumps and gets called for a block which makes no sense. Pitto doesn't jump much and when TDK does the other ruckman is smart enough to play of his tap instead of stare and wonder

I would be completely content to trade TDK for a single first round pick.

When he gathers the ball below his knees, it's amazing. When he jumps on an opposition ruckman's head and taps it out, it looks incredible. He flies for screamers, he takes them more than he should, and he's fast, agile and amazing below his knees for his height.

Only problem is, he never taps to a mid. His kicking technique is no nonsense and pretty to look at, but he never hits a target or sees someone other than long down the line, and is an indifferent shot on goal. He is so, so, SO easy to knock off the line, and for all his agility, acceleration and speed he's still not faster, more agile or quicker than a small or a wing. He's in no man's land as a player at the moment; he's an upgrade on Shaun Hampson only due to Hampson spending forever injured. If I've seen him tackle more than once a game, I'll be shocked regardless of what the stats say.

Fisher is another I'd be happy to shop around. He's more than hot/cold; he's ****ing arctic or sahara. It's 29 possessions and a goal or it's ****ing 7 disposals, no tackles, no score. He's allergic to contact, and by that I mean even laying tackles himself. He's only in the side because he's the only mid who's faster than a snail.

If Gov spends more than 4 weeks on the sidelines this year for any reason, he should not be retained for anything. I do not care how good he was last week. I do not care how much better we look with him out there. He's the footballing equivalent of a deadbeat. Same for Jack Martin.

Hollands, Acres and Walsh all work. Hewitt and Cripps work. Cerra and Kennedy are not working at present. Motlop and Durdin work. Charlie and Harry work. Young and Weitering are not working at the moment; they need Doc, or they need a third ingredient to make things sit. Doc and Saad were both playing well, but it wasn't working at full capacity; last year, Boyd, Doc and Saad worked.

While we need pace, what we need as much if not more we need tacklers. We need players who can chase down and win HTB or make it to a contest as an extra to collect the spilt loose ball. Too many players getting drawn to the ball, and not enough trust that the player who went in is enough by themselves.

Thought this year would be a refinement and recalibration of where we sat. Still have hopes; throwing the towel in after 5 games is a bad idea. But a failure to make finals this year - given the draw - would be a monumental failure.

When he gathers the ball below his knees, it's amazing. When he jumps on an opposition ruckman's head and taps it out, it looks incredible. He flies for screamers, he takes them more than he should, and he's fast, agile and amazing below his knees for his height.

Only problem is, he never taps to a mid. His kicking technique is no nonsense and pretty to look at, but he never hits a target or sees someone other than long down the line, and is an indifferent shot on goal. He is so, so, SO easy to knock off the line, and for all his agility, acceleration and speed he's still not faster, more agile or quicker than a small or a wing. He's in no man's land as a player at the moment; he's an upgrade on Shaun Hampson only due to Hampson spending forever injured. If I've seen him tackle more than once a game, I'll be shocked regardless of what the stats say.

Fisher is another I'd be happy to shop around. He's more than hot/cold; he's ******* arctic or sahara. It's 29 possessions and a goal or it's ******* 7 disposals, no tackles, no score. He's allergic to contact, and by that I mean even laying tackles himself. He's only in the side because he's the only mid who's faster than a snail.

If Gov spends more than 4 weeks on the sidelines this year for any reason, he should not be retained for anything. I do not care how good he was last week. I do not care how much better we look with him out there. He's the footballing equivalent of a deadbeat. Same for Jack Martin.

Hollands, Acres and Walsh all work. Hewitt and Cripps work. Cerra and Kennedy are not working at present. Motlop and Durdin work. Charlie and Harry work. Young and Weitering are not working at the moment; they need Doc, or they need a third ingredient to make things sit. Doc and Saad were both playing well, but it wasn't working at full capacity; last year, Boyd, Doc and Saad worked.

While we need pace, what we need as much if not more we need tacklers. We need players who can chase down and win HTB or make it to a contest as an extra to collect the spilt loose ball. Too many players getting drawn to the ball, and not enough trust that the player who went in is enough by themselves.

Thought this year would be a refinement and recalibration of where we sat. Still have hopes; throwing the towel in after 5 games is a bad idea. But a failure to make finals this year - given the draw - would be a monumental failure.
Spot on !

Fisher is another I'd be happy to shop around. He's more than hot/cold; he's ******* arctic or sahara. It's 29 possessions and a goal or it's ******* 7 disposals, no tackles, no score. He's allergic to contact, and by that I mean even laying tackles himself. He's only in the side because he's the only mid who's faster than a snail.

Totally agree. I’d try and package TDK and our first rounder for Harley Reid.

Wait till we have a real unexpected loss, our board will go into absolute meltdown.

But, all sides throughout the year have those games, you only need to look at the top 4 sides from last year, dropping games and or close wins, to bottom 6 sides

It feels like the pessimistic, "wait for a loss" poster is busting at the seam, to claim "I told you so"

Yes, we have shown inconsistency, yes there are periods we look putrid, but we haven't lost and it's still difficult to gauge a formline throughout the competition

Now, you can't sustain winning games, consistently, with contests 2 goals and under (Pies will be an interesting watch this year), but it's still better than the alternative

IMHO, we were never a top 4 side this year (although you never set a ceiling), we were a team that was capable of 13-15 H&A games

The last 20, 10, or even last year, has nothing to do with this year

At what point do people look forward, or at the very least, enjoy the ride, no matter the speed humps

Totally agree. I’d try and package TDK and our first rounder for Harley Reid.

That wouldn't be enough. Nice idea though. I don't think Hawthorn or any other team that finishes last would trade the number 1 pick.

Definitely keen to see what we could get for TDK in a trade though

I compared him to Majak Daw on an earlier post yesterday. Big bodied ruckman who is an athletic type that doesn't know how to use their body. He gets pushed around by players half his size. Lacks aggression, have never seen him in a tussle or physically assert himself on his opponent. We got too many nice blokes in the team.

I haven't decide whether I agree with ALL of it, but I bloody love it. :thumbsu:

Voss said in early matches that the 'wins' validated our system and method. BS.

We're getting by on talent, and winning against superior systems only because we have more talent.

An above average coach prepares a gameplan that can maximise the team's strengths and personnel on the list. We've seen that clearance dominance is possible with this list last year. 6-6-6 is made for this.

The game is trending towards the full pressure that the Saints/Pies/Dees/Crows use, but we don't have the runners for that. I'm not sure why we went away from the setup that had us dominating centre clearances and stoppages with our bigger bodies and ability to break tackles...but this half way crap is giving us the worst of both worlds.

POTY

Loved the post but think you got this part a bit off. Cerra has been great and dragged us into the contest most weeks. Hewett has provided nothing this season.
Good to see you back, SHT!

I don't think anyone in the midfield except for Cripps has played in their best role at any point this year, except perhaps Acres and Holland. Kennedy, Ed, Hewitt, Cerra, Doc have all had to cover for whoever is absent this week, with last game being the point at which things just broke.

It's frustrating beyond belief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you back, SHT!

I don't think anyone in the midfield except for Cripps has played in their best role at any point this year, except perhaps Acres and Holland. Kennedy, Ed, Hewitt, Cerra, Doc have all had to cover for whoever is absent this week, with last game being the point at which things just broke.

It's frustrating beyond belief.
Exactly right! Has been very frustrating watching the struggle to find the right rotations whilst not being terribly flexible at the same time. Think they need a ruck that can bulldoze more often tbh.

At the Giants game I only really noticed a lack of speed a few times. Most of the time we look slow because we ignore the 45 kick and push to the outside of our opponents. So when we turn it over they've got the inside handballs and kicks through the corridor.

I'm a bit confused by it all tbh but waiting and watching.

👍

Remember last year when our mids handballed a lot? Why'd we stop that completely?

We now have runners in Walsh/Acres/Hollands who keep good width and get into good positions. Cerra is a great kick but he ignored the handball to Walsh on at least 2 occasions.

The good teams are all creating that overlap run which encourages support as they know they'll get rewarded. If we keep burning the runners it'll dry up completely.

I am f****** sick of ruck contests becoming a wrestling contest. The competition is made for the O’Briens and Nankervis types. Chris Scott whinging about his poor rucks constantly running at their opponents with no eyes for the ball. We have a young jumping ruck, not given a chance to jump. But when Pitto emulates the contact first style, he is pinged every second contest.

Yep. Mentioned this last week. What the flower is the centre line for? They stand on that line and take the oppositions ruckman’s area. What is even more surprising, is that the ruckman trying to do the right thing, is pinged by the brilliant officiators who have no feel for the game. They obviously need to be told about the rule of week to start umpiring it correctly.........

Quite simply the most inciteful and honest appraisal of my team I've read on this site, POTY

This kid Harley Reid sounds the real McCoy; would we get a first round pick from Geelong for TDK ? Would we be brave enough to trade Harry to Norf for their first round pick? Would the Geelong pick get Darcy out of Freo for an exchange of picks ? Is there enough currency left to get Toby out of the Giants?
Are Kemp and Dow worth anything?
Someone please help me..... I'm starting to feel like Navy Andrew

This kid Harley Reid sounds the real McCoy; would we get a first round pick from Geelong for TDK ? Would we be brave enough to trade Harry to Norf for their first round pick? Would the Geelong pick get Darcy out of Freo for an exchange of picks ? Is there enough currency left to get Toby out of the Giants?
Are Kemp and Dow worth anything?
Someone please help me..... I'm starting to feel like Navy Andrew
1. Reid looks an absolute standout. Hard to imagine he doesn't go #1. But who knows, it's a long season.
2. Yes, if TDK wanted out, I think we'd take a late 1st round pick for him. Potentially other interested parties too.
3. 'Brave' isn't the word I'd use to discuss trading Harry. And we'd want considerably more than a single first round pick. Norf is unlikely to have pick 1 this year.
4. You'd think we'd have to pay more for Darcy than what we get for TDK... prob a mid first round? And there's more than Reid in this year's draft pool, not sure I would want to trade out of it.
5. Toby is their captain, and I think still has a few years to run on his contract (may be wrong, but haven't checked), which means we'd prob have to pay overs. Would love him, but don't think we can make it happen.

100%.
IMO, too many players made of paper mache - Marchbank, Cunners, Martin & Williams. Unavailable for large chunks, if not most of yr.
IMO, too many conditional, flakey players and those whose AFL careers should have ended in '22 - Honey, Fogarty, Fisher, Ed, Plow, LOB.
IMO, between constantly injured players and those who barely make a consistent, or dynamic contribution to the team, we have a personnel problem.
IMO, too much is being left to too few. It's unsustainable and morale sapping. IMO, hence the dip in form, energy, concentration and execution.

There seems to be a need to place a victory like this into context. WC had a few out, they're plumbing the depths, in game injuries, etc, and all of these are true. But the problem I have with this is that for a result to go this way at AFL level, you need these things to happen; AFL teams are not normally beaten by 100 points. It does not happen that often. Injury and awful form was not permitted to be an excuse for us when GWS beat us by 100 points with 17 on the field in 2018.

Is it not, then, a thing to be savoured, a salve for the nerves of Carlton supporters raw from years of let downs and close finishes and defeat snatched from the jaws of victory?

I don't understand how anyone's response to this is anything other than "Good. More please."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back