Roast Inner Feral Fan Unleashed - Warning - Unbridled, passionate, and objectionable opinions within

Remove this Banner Ad

What I am sure is going to be an unpopular opinion. End of the year we should re-jig our onfield leadership. Docherty to skipper. Walsh/Weitering VC. Cripps to play footy.

(I don't think Cripps is a very good leader .... inspirational at times, yes .... but not our best option as skipper)
I'd jump straight to Walsh/Weitering (Captain/vice) rather than Doc.

But for two ACLs and cancer, Doc would've been captain of this club and not Cripps. Now, he's arguably on the downhill, and it's quite arguable that he's never going to be the leader or talent he was; he's still a ******* good footballer and I'll fight anyone who says he isn't. But he had the potential to be a great of the game, and I think that's past him now; too much time out of it, and the way they have him playing - sitting off the back of the stoppage, receiving and smashing the thing 50m downfield without looking - is ruining what time he has left.

Move to the new leaders, set new goals and standards. Clean the sheet, let the next tier take over. Let the older blokes focus on their footy, on enjoying the game, and see if that pushes them back into form.

I'd jump straight to Walsh/Weitering (Captain/vice) rather than Doc.

But for two ACLs and cancer, Doc would've been captain of this club and not Cripps. Now, he's arguably on the downhill, and it's quite arguable that he's never going to be the leader or talent he was; he's still a ******* good footballer and I'll fight anyone who says he isn't. But he had the potential to be a great of the game, and I think that's past him now; too much time out of it, and the way they have him playing - sitting off the back of the stoppage, receiving and smashing the thing 50m downfield without looking - is ruining what time he has left.

Move to the new leaders, set new goals and standards. Clean the sheet, let the next tier take over. Let the older blokes focus on their footy, on enjoying the game, and see if that pushes them back into form.
Ill say this about Crippa, when ever people come for him and his back is against the wall, he bounces back bigger and harder than ever. Criticise him at your peril, there's plenty of fight in the Big Dog yet.

Ill say this about Crippa, when ever people come for him and his back is against the wall, he bounces back bigger and harder than ever. Criticise him at your peril, there's plenty of fight in the Big Dog yet.
Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm solely down on Cripps as captain. As a player, he can go through troughs of form that still have him in the top 5 inside mids in the comp, but his heights - in which he's both a top 5 mid and a top 10 KPF - are ******* dazzling. But that he's our captain is - to me - a problem; it puts the onus on him. It's about the message you're sending to the rest of the squad: this bloke has to play well, kick 4 goals and have 35 with 24 contested, that's your role model. Emulate that, go on.

I'd kill for a game or a sequence of them where he gets 24 disposals and 8 tackles, and he sacrifices his game to block for someone like Kennedy or Cerra.

I suppose I just don't see that element of self sacrifice at all great leaders have in his game at the moment. A good leader takes their team out, leads from the front, is directly inspirational; a great leader takes the hits, wears the bruises with pride, and knows when to drag themselves through the mud to get themselves to a win.

The first of Luke Hodge's Norm Smiths was his least glamorous but - quite arguably - his best.

Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm solely down on Cripps as captain. As a player, he can go through troughs of form that still have him in the top 5 inside mids in the comp, but his heights - in which he's both a top 5 mid and a top 10 KPF - are ******* dazzling. But that he's our captain is - to me - a problem; it puts the onus on him. It's about the message you're sending to the rest of the squad: this bloke has to play well, kick 4 goals and have 35 with 24 contested, that's your role model. Emulate that, go on.

I'd kill for a game or a sequence of them where he gets 24 disposals and 8 tackles, and he sacrifices his game to block for someone like Kennedy or Cerra.

I suppose I just don't see that element of self sacrifice at all great leaders have in his game at the moment. A good leader takes their team out, leads from the front, is directly inspirational; a great leader takes the hits, wears the bruises with pride, and knows when to drag themselves through the mud to get themselves to a win.

The first of Luke Hodge's Norm Smiths was his least glamorous but - quite arguably - his best.
Apart from Doc, whom is now past his window, I don't see any definitive choices for Captain in our best 22.
Walsh is probably the stand out, but has the same pitfalls as Captain as Crippa (leads by example but not really a natural leader, and takes the onus on himself to win games too much).

Charlie Curnow is really the only other example I see as someone who could lead the club and I'd probably make him Captain over anyone else.

I love him as a player, but I don't love him as a skipper.

Doc still has a few years left. Doesn't have to be the best player on our list to be the best option as skipper. Don't rush it with Walsh. Wait a couple of years and can still lead for the next 6.

I'm not invested anymore. I just don't care. Team selection is generally more of a let down than the game itself.
Luckily my stepson has his basketball game tomorrow night, so I won't be tempted to watch. I'll re-invest when the team starts to look invested.

Which has resulted in exactly what... one Brownlow medal off the back of one good half a season last year? He has never driven standards or performance from the group. He comes from the Marc Murphy school of leadership.

Cripps has 75 players hanging off him at every stoppage. He needs someone to block for him. That's not happening. if he gets a bit of space he is elite. Fees the ball out and gets us going. This has been a very noticeable thing (at least to me) so far this year.

Here's a novel idea, how about Cripps does the team thing and drag those 75 players into positions where his team-mates can thrive? As opposed to him trying to be superman all the time.

Apart from Doc, whom is now past his window, I don't see any definitive choices for Captain in our best 22.
Walsh is probably the stand out, but has the same pitfalls as Captain as Crippa (leads by example but not really a natural leader, and takes the onus on himself to win games too much).

Charlie Curnow is really the only other example I see as someone who could lead the club and I'd probably make him Captain over anyone else.
Charlie not the right personality type.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not invested anymore. I just don't care. Team selection is generally more of a let down than the game itself.
Luckily my stepson has his basketball game tomorrow night, so I won't be tempted to watch. I'll re-invest when the team starts to look invested.
With you mate, I try not to watch whenever I can now. Its just a hobby now for me. Not a passion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See H? Someone called Mcen something, a nobody without a huge contract just goes back and kicks a simple goal.

Which part of THIS IS YOUR ONLY JOB don't you get?

Do nothing at training but kick at goal. Get Anyone who knows anything about it to help. From Fev to the cheif...I don;t care who JUST EFFING FIX IT, or EFF off

Edit: this was meant for the game day thread, but as the mods left the game early, as is becom ing a habit for Baggers, I wanted to vent somewhere.

We could be six points off eight place by the time this weekend is done. Something is seriously wrong here, this team should be well capable of fighting it out for a place in the finals.

Yet our performances so far have been that of a mediocre midtable side. The words of Ciaran Fitzgerald the Ireland rugby team captain in the 80's come to mind here, where's your effing pride?

It's the very question i ask of the Carlton players right now, where's your effing pride?

It's so sad to watch another season, going down the toilet right in front of our very eyes. When will Carlton ever wake the eff up and be Carlton again?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back