Opinion Im concerned by the blasé decisions made of the powers that be at Punt Rd lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peggy had seen the ugly, bad and great years. After 2020 she could see the ugly coming back and eventually left whilst we were still hanging on by a thread. I know what she wanted to do after the events in the hub 2020, but certain people didn’t take her seriously and gave someone a massive contract. I underestimated her greatness and I’m the first to admit I was wrong in my opinion of her. She was the peacemaker and the moral fibre of where the club became a family and hence a powerhouse. She picked her perfect moment to leave bc the inevitable was coming as the cancer was allowed to comeback in.
She didn't want to leave. presidents can only serve for so long and are forced to move on otherwise Maquire would still be Collingwood's maestro. Not sure if its each club's policies or collective agreement.

She didn't want to leave. presidents can only serve for so long and are forced to move on otherwise Maquire would still be Collingwood's maestro. Not sure if its each club's policies or collective agreement.
Eddie was there a hell of a lot longer than she was.

I'd kill to her have back. The current president inspires no one whereas Peggy seemed to galvanise, she was very much a part of that off field management that set the club straight.

I hear ya. What do you do? I'm on 7x 12hr nights then 3.5 days off. 7x12hr days then 4 days off. Its brutal. I'm lucky I can sneak naps/ slèeps in on night shift so I get by on only needing another couple hours at home and the peggies stay away while I'm sleeping in 1st aid rooms. The trick is organise quality foam 1st aid beds, plus ive got a 4wd matress, blanket and pillow setup in my car. Hope you exercise, because it takes years off our life and as you know *s up your social life and home life. Also try no caffeine after 6 hour mark of the shift. When tired dip your head in cold water. Quality blinds at home, disconnect doorbell, phone and you should be out soon as you hit the pillow.

Used to be so much easier when younger, could get by on 4 hours sleep. My Dad did rotating shifts for 25 years in petrol chem 2x 12 hr days, 2 x 12 hour nights then 5 days off. He could sleep the entire night shifts so he really only pretended to work 2 days then 7 days off lucky bast@rd
Im in printing
I run a 80 page offset press with a crew of 4

We only just shifted to the 3x12 and it’s working well
As you know 12 hours is a long shift but once you get used to it it’s not so bad

We do 1 month of weds - Friday (back half) and the front end boys do a month of Sunday - Tues

After a month we shuffle so back end does Thurs - Sat and front end do Monday - weds

So it’s a 6 day operation but when we get busy it goes 7 days and whatever day isn’t rosterd gets put on for overtime

Any weekend work even if rostered is paid overtime rate and any extra shift I pick up even on a weekday is paid overtime as well so most weeks I end up working 4 days so it’s been pretty good for the back pocket

It’s a pain working Saturdays every 2nd month but the place is a lot more relaxed and we have music and tv’s to watch the footy or whatnot
The big wigs don’t care as long as we make sure our job takes priority and we aren’t taking the piss so it’s not terrible either

Also, don't forget that there was also another delay while the Royal Historical Society of Victoria (I think it was them or some other group) tried to get the stand Heritage listed. Couldn't do anything to the stand or continue with the tender process while that was happening.

According to this article (https://www.historyvictoria.org.au/...cacy-projects/richmonds-jack-dyer-stand-lost/) the first objection happened in May 2022 and took till end of November 2022 to be rejected by Heritage Victoria (https://heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/...COMMENDATION-PUNT-ROAD-OVAL-NOT-INCLUDE-1.pdf)
Well that’s what you get when you come up with a plan to demolish a heritage stand valued by the community around it!

Geez if only people around here could have suggested there was a smarter way…

This blow out to 100m is just getting us to the starting line, further blow outs can happen mid-build.

One thing we can all thank Benny for actually is NOT starting this project two years ago - would have been financially disastrous and we might have been out on the streets tin rattling again!

What the clubs needs now is someone to be strong and call the whole thing off until a viable plan can be hatched.

This is starting to smell like the Legends stand that buried Carlton for 20 years.

What a shame Collingwood got rid of Maguire. One premiership in his time as president and every year he found a new way to embarrass the club and create internal conflict and stupidity. In the few years he has been gone Collingwood have already won a premiership and could go again this year. We need Maguire back before they turn into a dynasty.

Im in printing
I run a 80 page offset press with a crew of 4

We only just shifted to the 3x12 and it’s working well
As you know 12 hours is a long shift but once you get used to it it’s not so bad

We do 1 month of weds - Friday (back half) and the front end boys do a month of Sunday - Tues

After a month we shuffle so back end does Thurs - Sat and front end do Monday - weds

So it’s a 6 day operation but when we get busy it goes 7 days and whatever day isn’t rosterd gets put on for overtime

Any weekend work even if rostered is paid overtime rate and any extra shift I pick up even on a weekday is paid overtime as well so most weeks I end up working 4 days so it’s been pretty good for the back pocket

It’s a pain working Saturdays every 2nd month but the place is a lot more relaxed and we have music and tv’s to watch the footy or whatnot
The big wigs don’t care as long as we make sure our job takes priority and we aren’t taking the piss so it’s not terrible either
Love the smell of ink as well as blanket and roller wash

Well that’s what you get when you come up with a plan to demolish a heritage stand valued by the community around it!

This blow out to 100m is just getting us to the starting line, further blow outs can happen mid-build.

One thing we can all thank Benny for actually is NOT starting this project two years ago - would have been financially disastrous and we might have been out on the streets tin rattling again!

What the clubs needs now is someone to be strong and call the whole thing off until a viable plan can be hatched.

This is starting to smell like the Legends stand that buried Carlton for 20 years.
I don’t know how much was raised by the fighting tiger fund

Love the smell of ink as well as blanket and roller wash
You worked for Xerox didn’t you mate?

This is my press 2000mm web
Currently doing a 5 million 40 page catalogue run
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

National,Service Manger for FTWimble in my past as well , Sold and serviced Ryobi, Heidelberg’s, Goss Community, I need a whol day to relive my past but spent some time at Xerox
The press I’m running atm is a Goss, they have recently merged with ManRoland, we have 2 80 page lithomans here and a few smaller komori as well

Used to have a big KBA as well but has been sold off

The press I’m running atm is a Goss, they have recently merged with ManRoland, we have 2 80 page lithomans here and a few smaller komori as well

Used to have a big KBA as well but has been sold off
It’s funny after I left Aviation , I started at Rank Xerox and Finished at Fuji Xerox with a lot of travels in between in the 40 odd years

Peggy had seen the ugly, bad and great years. After 2020 she could see the ugly coming back and eventually left whilst we were still hanging on by a thread. I know what she wanted to do after the events in the hub 2020, but certain people didn’t take her seriously and gave someone a massive contract. I underestimated her greatness and I’m the first to admit I was wrong in my opinion of her. She was the peacemaker and the moral fibre of where the club became a family and hence a powerhouse. She picked her perfect moment to leave bc the inevitable was coming as the cancer was allowed to comeback in.

Well regardless if she wanted to leave or not, she was still there for another 2 years after 2020 as she finished up at the end of 2022 due to her term finishing and she could no longer stay as president (as per our constitution below), so there was plenty of time to solve this alleged cancer being allowed to comeback in.

Also, Speaking to News Corp, O’Neal says she’s looking forward to becoming just a fan again.
“We have term limits and I’m ready to let someone else have the fun,” O’Neal said.

“I’m looking forward to being a fan. After this season I’ll hand over and finish up at our AGM in December and that’s when our new president will officially take office and I’ll be sitting in the outer with a beanie and a beer next year.”

Read the Richmond Constitution for information about president terms:

8.1.10 Any person appointed President prior to the conclusion his or her third term, shall continue to be eligible to be re-elected or re-appointed as a director for a maximum of two further terms - provided that:
(a) the person may only hold office as President for a maximum of two further terms after the term in which the person first became President;
(b) in order for the person to be eligible to stand for re-election or to be re-appointed for the first further term, the person must be President at the time nominations close for the positions of Elected Directors at the Annual General Meeting immediately preceding that first further term; and
(c) in order for the person to be eligible to stand for re-election or to be re-appointed for the second further term, the person must be President at the time nominations close for the positions of Elected Directors at the Annual General Meeting immediately preceding that second further term.

When you state that it is Valued by the community around it, you are making an assumption that it is the entire community. That is obviously not the case as if it was then there would have been more of an outcry about it, so not valued by everyone then.

The below stand is at the local Oakleigh footy ground, it is a similar style to the one at PRO but smaller. It is also similar to the majority of stands that I have seen around countless other local footy grounds. Don't know when it was built but I am sure that are many that are similar in age to the stand at PRO. Should they all also be heritage listed just because they are old?

Who knows, if we could have started it two years ago, it would probably have been finished and possibly in the budget that was projected and that was funded.

By the simple fact that the club is trying to raise the funds before continuing blindly does show that someone is being strong so that we don't end up like in the past with large debt like Carlton with the Legends stand.

1714198709976.png

Well regardless if she wanted to leave or not, she was still there for another 2 years after 2020 as she finished up at the end of 2022 due to her term finishing and she could no longer stay as president (as per our constitution below), so there was plenty of time to solve this alleged cancer being allowed to comeback in.

Also, Speaking to News Corp, O’Neal says she’s looking forward to becoming just a fan again.
“We have term limits and I’m ready to let someone else have the fun,” O’Neal said.

“I’m looking forward to being a fan. After this season I’ll hand over and finish up at our AGM in December and that’s when our new president will officially take office and I’ll be sitting in the outer with a beanie and a beer next year.”

8.1.10 Any person appointed President prior to the conclusion his or her third term, shall continue to be eligible to be re-elected or re-appointed as a director for a maximum of two further terms - provided that:
(a) the person may only hold office as President for a maximum of two further terms after the term in which the person first became President;
(b) in order for the person to be eligible to stand for re-election or to be re-appointed for the first further term, the person must be President at the time nominations close for the positions of Elected Directors at the Annual General Meeting immediately preceding that first further term; and
(c) in order for the person to be eligible to stand for re-election or to be re-appointed for the second further term, the person must be President at the time nominations close for the positions of Elected Directors at the Annual General Meeting immediately preceding that second further term.
I might be mistaken but I’m pretty sure she had already extended her original term as well, they changed the tenure length in the constitution once already for her or something like that

I can’t remember the exact details but I do remember some controversy around it at the time

When you state that it is Valued by the community around it, you are making an assumption that it is the entire community. That is obviously not the case as if it was then there would have been more of an outcry about it, so not valued by everyone then.

The below stand is at the local Oakleigh footy ground, it is a similar style to the one at PRO but smaller. It is also similar to the majority of stands that I have seen around countless other local footy grounds. Don't know when it was built but I am sure that are many that are similar in age to the stand at PRO. Should they all also be heritage listed just because they are old?

Who knows, if we could have started it two years ago, it would probably have been finished and possibly in the budget that was projected and that was funded.

By the simple fact that the club is trying to raise the funds before continuing blindly does show that someone is being strong so that we don't end up like in the past with large debt like Carlton with the Legends stand.

View attachment 1972570
Sure, not everyone, but plenty want to see heritage retained. Read the comments in this link- not many, but a reasonable cross-section of the responses of the Richmond and Melbourne community view on this. Plenty very upset.

Lets hope we don't indebt ourselves up to our eyeballs stubbornly trying to push this demolish-to-build plan through.
The 50% blow out in costs could be just the beginning. Another blow out in a 7% interest rate environment could endanger the Club. I would be looking to postpone till these stubbornly infationary times have passed, probably in 5 years or so.

Also wonder now that Sally Capp is standing down, whether a different view on demolishing the heritage stand might prevail within the city council?

Agree so she slid out quietly as she’s not stupid and could see the writing on the wall. She didn’t need to be president anymore, but still a prominent figure at the club. She had enough and that’s facts.

Still remains to be seen if he actually wants to relocate to Tassie
Dunno if he has kids and that but it would be quite the ask for someone at his age
He also grew up and played along with his brother at Penguin not Hobart .
The variation between the two is significant with the north west coast the trendy northern aspect of the state whilst Hobart has been ****ed with drug addicts and morons for years .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back