Opinion Im concerned by the blasé decisions made of the powers that be at Punt Rd lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

richoplzbreed

Club Legend
Suspended
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
When we were on fire all the rival teams were looking to improve by stealing our key personnel. Our top coaches in Caracella, McCrae, Rutten and Kingsley. A part from former Capt Newman returning we've replaced them with blokes who've been fired or recently retired players. North poached Thursfield, WCE likewise with Clarke. We replaced Clarke with an unemployed fired dude that no other team bothered to pick up in the 4 months since he was fired.

Hardwick and Kingsley have poached off field people like football analysis manager Hayden Hill and others I can't recall. Luke Meehan was given Burge's gig without an exhaustive search for a replacement.

We've had our top people plundered and we're replacing them with discards and unproven flops.

I can't access the article but John Ralph has written:
"Richmond has investigated the reasons behind the injury carnage which has derailed its start under new coach Adem Yze.......Richmond believes its horrific run of injuries in a one-win season is down to bad luck rather than poor management.......... WTF??? Surely they're taking the p1ss? I would like to think that that's what they're just telling the media whilst behind the scenes they're scouring the globe to find the top guy to sort our woes, but on recent decisions I think old perm head and his clique just don't give a sh1t anymore and are more concerned with feathering their own nests than doing their actual jobs.

Graham Richmond might’ve lost the plot in latter years but never forget he was ruthless, slippery as an eel and turned the club into a powerhouse.

This $100mil blow-out doesn't add up to me.

Nov 2020: Plans announced for $60 million dollar development. $30 million already guaranteed by government funding.

Nov 2021: Designs revealed for $65 million Punt Road Oval redevelopment (majority of funding secured)

May 2022: The City of Melbourne has approved the demolition of the historic Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road Oval as part of a redevelopment of the ground by the Richmond Tigers AFL club.
October 2022: Builders Tender for Punt Road Oval Redevelopment
May 2023: Richmond President Confirms Preferred Builder for Punt Rd Redevelopment

I've worked in Tier 1 construction and Tunneling for nearly 30 years in roles starting from apprentice up to Superintendent and upper management.
I'm mates and share offices with the big kahuna Project Managers and pick their brains to translate what they do to my owner building projects too. A year to get plans during Covid ok I'll kinda cop that but not really. 6 months to get council approval sure anyone who deals with bureaucracy knows can be a hassle, but during all that time things don't come to a halt there's planning still going on so once approval has been granted all ducks are in a row ready to launch. 5 months to go out to tender is ridiculous shouldn't take very long at all. 7 months for quoting and landing at preferred builder is obscene. Realistically those 2 steps should be 3-5 months Max!!!

A full year passes with no progress and now after the initial estimate of $60mil was padded out to $65mil and finally blows out to a whopping $100mil that doesn't add up and something rotten in Denmark folks. Without being privy to the inner workings I can understand $60mil to $65 as there would've been no doubt variations and upgrades on the initial concepts. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL COSTS HAVE BLOWN OUT 54% in 2 years.
Like all construction jobs its mainly wages and materials that are your main costs. EBA increases say 5% p/a only justifies 10% increase in that component (that's assuming a generous 2 year delay, most likely only 12 month delay) Steel prices actually dropped >10% in 2023, concrete went up but nothing can really justify this new $100 mil figure.

A lot of the decision making seems lazy and inept. I get zero joy working construction. My only mate who loves his job is a fire-fighter. I can't imagine having a better job than being in the decision making process of the Richmond Footy Club. But it seems like the rot has well and truly set in. HTF could our injury debacle be written off as Hopper walked under a ladder, Gibcus kicked a black cat, Lynch squished a Christmas beetle and Prestia steps on too many cracks??

Our whole year is already a complete write off and I can't wait to see the injuries really stack up once the cold really takes hold. We won't get to know if Toce is great, ok or useless for 5+ years. I would've felt a whole lot better if we had poached the top guy from another club that every other club was envious we pried him loose, and seeing the world scoured for Meehans replacement. If Meehan and his whole team hasn't been replaced I'm taking 2025 off cos the clubs jumping the shark.

When we were on fire all the rival teams were looking to improve by stealing our key personnel. Our top coaches in Caracella, McCrae, Rutten and Kingsley. A part from former Capt Newman returning we've replaced them with blokes who've been fired or recently retired players. North poached Thursfield, WCE likewise with Clarke. We replaced Clarke with an unemployed fired dude that no other team bothered to pick up in the 4 months since he was fired.

Hardwick and Kingsley have poached off field people like football analysis manager Hayden Hill and others I can't recall. Luke Meehan was given Burge's gig without an exhaustive search for a replacement.

We've had our top people plundered and we're replacing them with discards and unproven flops.

"Richmond has investigated the reasons behind the injury carnage which has derailed its start under new coach Adem Yze.......Richmond believes its horrific run of injuries in a one-win season is down to bad luck rather than poor management.......... WTF??? Surely they're taking the p1ss? I would like to think that that's what they're just telling the media whilst behind the scenes they're scouring the globe to find the top guy to sort our woes, but on recent decisions I think old perm head and his clique just don't give a sh1t anymore and are more concerned with feathering their own nests than doing their actual jobs.

Graham Richmond might’ve lost the plot in latter years but never forget he was ruthless, slippery as an eel and turned the club into a powerhouse.

Nov 2020: Plans announced for $60 million dollar development. $30 million already guaranteed by government funding.

Nov 2021: Designs revealed for $65 million Punt Road Oval redevelopment (majority of funding secured)

May 2022: The City of Melbourne has approved the demolition of the historic Jack Dyer Stand at Punt Road Oval as part of a redevelopment of the ground by the Richmond Tigers AFL club.
May 2023: Richmond President Confirms Preferred Builder for Punt Rd Redevelopment

I've worked in Tier 1 construction and Tunneling for nearly 30 years in roles starting from apprentice up to Superintendent and upper management.
I'm mates and share offices with the big kahuna Project Managers and pick their brains to translate what they do to my owner building projects too. A year to get plans during Covid ok I'll kinda cop that but not really. 6 months to get council approval sure anyone who deals with bureaucracy knows can be a hassle, but during all that time things don't come to a halt there's planning still going on so once approval has been granted all ducks are in a row ready to launch. 5 months to go out to tender is ridiculous shouldn't take very long at all. 7 months for quoting and landing at preferred builder is obscene. Realistically those 2 steps should be 3-5 months Max!!!

A full year passes with no progress and now after the initial estimate of $60mil was padded out to $65mil and finally blows out to a whopping $100mil that doesn't add up and something rotten in Denmark folks. Without being privy to the inner workings I can understand $60mil to $65 as there would've been no doubt variations and upgrades on the initial concepts. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL COSTS HAVE BLOWN OUT 54% in 2 years.
Like all construction jobs its mainly wages and materials that are your main costs. EBA increases say 5% p/a only justifies 10% increase in that component (that's assuming a generous 2 year delay, most likely only 12 month delay) Steel prices actually dropped >10% in 2023, concrete went up but nothing can really justify this new $100 mil figure.

A lot of the decision making seems lazy and inept. I get zero joy working construction. My only mate who loves his job is a fire-fighter. I can't imagine having a better job than being in the decision making process of the Richmond Footy Club. But it seems like the rot has well and truly set in. HTF could our injury debacle be written off as Hopper walked under a ladder, Gibcus kicked a black cat, Lynch squished a Christmas beetle and Prestia steps on too many cracks??

Our whole year is already a complete write off and I can't wait to see the injuries really stack up once the cold really takes hold. We won't get to know if Toce is great, ok or useless for 5+ years. I would've felt a whole lot better if we had poached the top guy from another club that every other club was envious we pried him loose, and seeing the world scoured for Meehans replacement. If Meehan and his whole team hasn't been replaced I'm taking 2025 off cos the clubs jumping the shark.
Can you forward your steel suppliers number everywhere I know increased by upward of 30% in 2023 .

Well the bad luck theory just got blown out of the water , ouzo says hoppers leg was taped up too tight , the strippers do it on advise from the fitness and conditioning staff

I’m inclined to think Rnd 0 has had more of an impact than people had anticipated.
A week less of pre-season ,Interstate travel
25deg plus first game in Queensland, less days to recover and pre-hab with first two games in 6 (us 5).
We’ve got our issues and they’ve got 7 hamstring injuries.

We can expect Rnd 0 for the next 5 years so I hope it plays out a little differently from here on than the sh.t show that was this year.

Re: OP
All of the Coaches and Staff that have moved on or been headhunted, became successful here.
And it’s probably the way it’ll happen when we start contending again.

Successful organizations always lose people , it’s a positive reflection on your success. Not sure I buy the carping of the asst coaches , rutten was a successful asst coach , that’s what we hired him for , read the same for Teague.
Coll asst include leppa and Bolton both failed senior coaches , so hecking what , that’s not what they’ve been hired . Interesting but not surprising that Hartley is being pursued by Tasmania, I’m quickly building a genuine animosity for these campaigners and they haven’t even entered comp yet , we ll see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t really comment on the ground redevelopment cost blowout as I don’t know much about that sort of thing. Does seem a big jump though doesn’t it?

As far as the club goes, I feel someone has dropped the ball badly. Either they don’t care anymore or their mind’s on other things. The frustrating thing is they never seem to let us know what’s going on.

The situation with injuries is just diabolical and can’t be allowed to continue surely. It is not ‘just bad luck’ it is clearly very bad management. Spend some money and find better experts to run it.

Is it just me, or does nobody at the club seem to care any more? We’ve got a president who seems to be invisible and we don’t even see or hear much of Benny Gale nowadays except to ask for more money from the fans for the new stand.

I’m pretty disappointed with how things are going at present.

I can’t really comment on the ground redevelopment cost blowout as I don’t know much about that sort of thing. Does seem a big jump though doesn’t it?

As far as the club goes, I feel someone has dropped the ball badly. Either they don’t care anymore or their mind’s on other things. The frustrating thing is they never seem to let us know what’s going on.

The situation with injuries is just diabolical and can’t be allowed to continue surely. It is not ‘just bad luck’ it is clearly very bad management. Spend some money and find better experts to run it.

Is it just me, or does nobody at the club seem to care any more? We’ve got a president who seems to be invisible and we don’t even see or hear much of Benny Gale nowadays except to ask for more money from the fans for the new stand.

First we entered the Super Professional Era with the 100,000 plus Three Grand Finals won!
BLAH BLAH BLAH...everywhere a BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!
Now when the dust is finally settling we are entering the Bland Era...
Dialogue between the RFC and its 100,000 supporters currently is non existent!
FFS not a text, twitter, press release to the supporters in regards to the Med/Phys Dept fiasco...
Even Balmey has gone mute!

the club has lost its way bigtime

bunch of fruit loops running the show

Hard to say re cost blowouts
I know in my particular industry some supply overheads have gone up as much as 300% in some cases and everything has gone up at least 20%

From what I can gather most industries copping similar particularly ones that rely heavily on international shipping but even domestic s**t has taken a massive upturn in costs

I've done analysis of other team's soft tissue injuries.. Believe it or not we are better than the average at the moment - Most of our issues stem from collision type actions

First we entered the Super Professional Era with the 100,000 plus Three Grand Finals won!
BLAH BLAH BLAH...everywhere a BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!
Now when the dust is finally settling we are entering the Bland Era...
Dialogue between the RFC and its 100,000 supporters currently is non existent!
FFS not a text, twitter, press release to the supporters in regards to the Med/Phys Dept fiasco...
Even Balmey has gone mute!
Balme is on gardening leave

I've done analysis of other team's soft tissue injuries.. Believe it or not we are better than the average at the moment - Most of our issues stem from collision type actions
Thanks for the info Louie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thursfield has been at north for a while now and you can hardly say they have nailed their recruiting.
The guy we got from St Kilda to replace Clarke is really highly rated and was only fired because he had a different opinion to SOS at the Saints. Also it is hard to take someone on mid year if you are already riding close to the cost cap. There is someone that I work with who knows the Roughheads and basically said that Roughie was really depressed as soon as SOS came into St Kilda because SOS was a dick and had friends in high places so you couldnt disagree with anything he said.

Yea I’m a bit surprised we haven’t had a working bee
The club could do a call out to all the memebers for a working bee. Head down to coles, woolies and Aldi and clean them out of their 10 buck a kilo snags and all the homebrand white bread and get s**t done

I recall a few years back that while we in the middle of our domination - there were supporters with (supposed) inside info that kept banging on about how were future planning. Setting ourselves up for ongoing success, don't want to fall off a cliff, remain a finals team blah blah blah.

Well a good plan in theory but what has transpired in the last few years is nothing short of the opposite. A disaster on just about every front - except membership.

With pretty poor communication from the club to it's members. Departures, suspect hirings and promotions and a lot of smoke and mirrors from the club. I do worry that membership is next.

Gale did an amazing job to build the club into a powerhouse. Unfortunately the last few years don't take away from that, but do mean that he won't be leaving on a high note at all.

I work in an insulation company our suppliers have increased prices by 40% since Covid and that's for Australian made products. So having a blow out in the costs for the new stand isn't that unbelievable.

As for the injuries, while its easy to blame Meehan for them, I don't blame him. We play a sport that demands a lot from players physically and they push themselves to the limit on game days. Eventually muscles reach a breaking point and will end up with strains or tears, you're never going to go through a season without at least 10-12 sof tissue injuries across the list. Add to that the unavoidable injuries that come from a bad landing (knees/ankles/feet) or contact injuries (broken bones/corkies) and it's easy to see how injuries can quickly mount up through a bit of bad luck.

As far as staff getting pinched, when you've been the most successful club over the last decade of course opposition clubs are going to try and recruit your best staff to make them better, it's the same as some now demanding that we raid opposition clubs for their best staff to try and improve our performances. Unfortunately the soft cap makes it difficult to retain all of our best staff. Unless you'd be happy for the club to pay a penalty for breaching the cap, there isn't much we can do.

I work in an insulation company our suppliers have increased prices by 40% since Covid and that's for Australian made products. So having a blow out in the costs for the new stand isn't that unbelievable.

As for the injuries, while its easy to blame Meehan for them, I don't blame him. We play a sport that demands a lot from players physically and they push themselves to the limit on game days. Eventually muscles reach a breaking point and will end up with strains or tears, you're never going to go through a season without at least 10-12 sof tissue injuries across the list. Add to that the unavoidable injuries that come from a bad landing (knees/ankles/feet) or contact injuries (broken bones/corkies) and it's easy to see how injuries can quickly mount up through a bit of bad luck.

As far as staff getting pinched, when you've been the most successful club over the last decade of course opposition clubs are going to try and recruit your best staff to make them better, it's the same as some now demanding that we raid opposition clubs for their best staff to try and improve our performances. Unfortunately the soft cap makes it difficult to retain all of our best staff. Unless you'd be happy for the club to pay a penalty for breaching the cap, there isn't much we can do.
Yeah can’t really get shitty about staff poaching when our footy department was built off of Hawthorn, Geelong and Collingwood

Its just the nature of the comp

He is trying to promote the new site. But we still need to improve our football department, especially injury management and conditioning.

Has Gale spoken about any transition plan or what happens when he leaves the club. Who is going to replace him? It's a massive job to manage the new punt rd development site

There’s not too much doubt that misery is clouding the judgement of most commenting on this , for most part our injury list is made up of
ACLs
Broken bones
The rest injuries to renowned crocs that have a long history of time out
That said I’d fully support changes if. Nothing else a forlorn attempt to change our fortunes

He is trying to promote the new site. But we still need to improve our football department, especially injury management and conditioning.

Has Gale spoken about any transition plan or what happens when he leaves the club. Who is going to replace him? It's a massive job to manage the new punt rd development site
Why would he comment on that when he hasn’t formally announced his own departure , lol that’s laughable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back