Prediction How will the Geelong Cats fare in season 2024?

Where will Geelong finish in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am quite happy go lucky.. my posting history would suggest so, and that I am not normally on the overly negative side.

I also just believe in maintaining humility about our prospects as being over confident has often lended itself to being embarrassed later more so than not.

I've never been the one to throw a win during the season or a flag in anyones face, opting to just enjoy it.

Also; set medium to low expectations and be thoroughly satisfied when the ultimate happens!

If there's one thing I don't particularly enjoy about footy supporters is those who claim to have won a premiership before grand final day has even arrived, or to be cocky winners. But that's just me

Embarrassment is only a cost if you feel shame.

Embarrassment is only a cost if you feel shame.

Well yeah, which is what I would if I was to spend all season proclaiming that Cats would be premiers.

Or, 2008, for instance, I had a previous account on this forum and I personally felt it was insufferable when we lost. Now sure, that's a personal thing, but it's still valid all the same

Well yeah, which is what I would if I was to spend all season proclaiming that Cats would be premiers.

Or, 2008, for instance, I had a previous account on this forum and I personally felt it was insufferable when we lost. Now sure, that's a personal thing, but it's still valid all the same

Eh the post grand final loss refractory period. There is always next year.

I am quite happy go lucky.. my posting history would suggest so, and that I am not normally on the overly negative side.

I also just believe in maintaining humility about our prospects as being over confident has often lended itself to being embarrassed later more so than not.

I've never been the one to throw a win during the season or a flag in anyones face, opting to just enjoy it.

Also; set medium to low expectations and be thoroughly satisfied when the ultimate happens!

If there's one thing I don't particularly enjoy about footy supporters is those who claim to have won a premiership before grand final day has even arrived, or to be cocky winners. But that's just me

Not aware of your previous posts No Quarter: just commented on the one post but I'd like to point out that I did comment about being "NOT overly cocky" as I'm in full agreeance with you in regards to 'humility' and the importance of being humble in life not just football and I certainly have sympathy and feel for those footy supporters (Saints and Freo supporters included) that follow the footy just as passionately as I do, however through no fault of their own have had little or no measurable success.

Calculated confidence is a good thing, manufactured confidence is for the plebs!

We play Melbourne after Carlton. Did you see them against Richmond? They were awful until the Tigers ran out of gas and gave up.

You'd think we take one of the MCG games at least.

I somewhat agree that Gold Coast in Darwin will be a really tough challenge.

A fit and healthy squad will take it right up to GWS at home this time. We owe them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see no home slip ups or just one this season. GWS would be the most likely though, I guess.

3-2 from here sounds right. I'd lean more towards 4-1 than 2-3 though.

Darwin will be hard because its humid and slippery and that suits hardwicks tsunami pressure game and probably wont suit some of our older guys. I wouldnt be surprised if we drop that one.

I think we will lose one of the next 2 plus darwin.
Im confident we beat port (they are overrated and hawkins and cameron will school esava if we play it right). Gws is a genuine 50-50 game they are very good and tactically we will have to be smart.

If we could go 3-2 and end up 9-2 id be happy. Can manage players from there.

I dont think we need danger every week but if theres one team i wanted him available for its melb. Gawn viney and petracca worry me with no danger. Makes that a 50-50 game at best for mine.

But if we keep playing this well i reckon we can get to the bye with only one or two losses.

couldn’t find the bloody Hawkins isn’t insignificant thread so posting it here..

Always want to be incredibly respectful with these discussions as I have always found the whole “so and so is cooked and finished” narrative a bit of a cringe worthy read and is a way of putting it that if you were face to face with the individual would be insulting…

Looking at Hawkins I am concerned about his ability to get involved in the game and his ability to influence. Struggled to have much involvement at all his past 3 games. We didn’t seem to go to him much against weitering but he also lacked influence his other two games prior.

Do we possibly need to manage him or rest him for a few games?? Maybe play him 10-12 of the remaining games or give him training periods??

35yo and one of our greatest ever forwards. Clearly in his last season atm and some careful management needs to be implemented to get the best out of him

I dont think we need danger every week but if theres one team i wanted him available for its melb. Gawn viney and petracca worry me with no danger. Makes that a 50-50 game at best for mine.

But if we keep playing this well i reckon we can get to the bye with only one or two losses.
Clarry playing like he's a park footballer makes them a bit less intimidating for mine.

It goes from a genuinely elite midfield - to a very good one - but much more capable of being stopped.

It used to be if you stopped Oliver Trac would get you and vice versa, now you only need to stop one.

Viney's quality, but he's a level below the genuine superstars like those guys are.

Darwin will be hard because its humid and slippery and that suits hardwicks tsunami pressure game and probably wont suit some of our older guys. I wouldnt be surprised if we drop that one.

I think we will lose one of the next 2 plus darwin.
Im confident we beat port (they are overrated and hawkins and cameron will school esava if we play it right). Gws is a genuine 50-50 game they are very good and tactically we will have to be smart.

If we could go 3-2 and end up 9-2 id be happy. Can manage players from there.
Suns will be coming off a five day break having also played the week before in Darwin. We will handle the Suns and quite easily IMO.

This Cats team is very versatile and can adapt to difficult conditions and situations (see Lions game last week).

The Squiggle now has Geelong at an 84% chance of finishing top 4 from here and a 62% chance of finishing top 2.

That's pretty astounding for a team that a lot of people wrote off as a bottom 4 possibility before the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7-0 and plenty of issues.

Miers - still shies away from a contest.

Our forwards- mainly Henry - are unaccountable.

DeKoning is way too laconic and lacks urgency.

Our midfield needs to start positioning themselves at the back of defensive stoppages.

Plenty of positives too but haven't got time for now.

7-0 and plenty of issues.

Miers - still shies away from a contest.

Our forwards- mainly Henry - are unaccountable.

DeKoning is way too laconic and lacks urgency.

Our midfield needs to start positioning themselves at the back of defensive stoppages.

Plenty of positives too but haven't got time for now.

Miers doesn't need to be in contests he needs to be in space.

Henry does let his opponent get easy marks early in games something to work on. Holmes similar at times.

Get a dictionary and look up laconic. Don't know how it's relevant

Yes we do let oppo run it out really easily sometimes, and with 666 we can pay the price.

Plenty of positives but yes plenty to work on.

With both Sydney teams looking the goods I think top two becomes imperative. Didn’t think I’d be looking at things that way after Rd7 but geez strong a few more together now and 🤞🏻
Yeah and the conspiracy "AFL is rigged" part of me (which is tiny BTW) recons the AFL would love either to win (Sydney so close so many times, GWS because GWS), and kind of be bored/annoyed id we won.

Lid is on.

But I think comment above is right, if we got through the next 5 games winning the majority, it would be hard to contain expectation and excitement

You might’ve said the same thing five rounds ago. The way we’re going, I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re 11-0.

couldn’t find the bloody Hawkins isn’t insignificant thread so posting it here..

Always want to be incredibly respectful with these discussions as I have always found the whole “so and so is cooked and finished” narrative a bit of a cringe worthy read and is a way of putting it that if you were face to face with the individual would be insulting…

Looking at Hawkins I am concerned about his ability to get involved in the game and his ability to influence. Struggled to have much involvement at all his past 3 games. We didn’t seem to go to him much against weitering but he also lacked influence his other two games prior.

Do we possibly need to manage him or rest him for a few games?? Maybe play him 10-12 of the remaining games or give him training periods??

35yo and one of our greatest ever forwards. Clearly in his last season atm and some careful management needs to be implemented to get the best out of him

Give him the Ottens treatment and wheel him out for finals.

Who knows what Neale could become with a string of consecutive games and some confidence at the AFL level.

Although they are formidable teams, hosting one of Sydney and GWS at the G in a QF is still probably our best realistic match up.

I wouldn't mind playing Melbourne but there is still always the threat that their midfield and defence will dominate and in a one off game their forwards could lift - see the 2021 finals series.

Carlton will be tough at the G, much like Collingwood always are.

But realistically a flag probably requires us to finish top 4 and beat both Sydney sides plus one of the Melbourne teams. At the very least we should be ensuring each of those matches is at the MCG, so top 2 is critical. With Sydney and GWS playing next week, a win against Melbourne would be so crucial. We would get 3 games clear on them and create some distance on GWS or Sydney. Then we should just death ride the loser a bit and hope we host them in a QF.

Although they are formidable teams, hosting one of Sydney and GWS at the G in a QF is still probably our best realistic match up.

I wouldn't mind playing Melbourne but there is still always the threat that their midfield and defence will dominate and in a one off game their forwards could lift - see the 2021 finals series.

Carlton will be tough at the G, much like Collingwood always are.

But realistically a flag probably requires us to finish top 4 and beat both Sydney sides plus one of the Melbourne teams. At the very least we should be ensuring each of those matches is at the MCG, so top 2 is critical. With Sydney and GWS playing next week, a win against Melbourne would be so crucial. We would get 3 games clear on them and create some distance on GWS or Sydney. Then we should just death ride the loser a bit and hope we host them in a QF.
I could see us hosting one of the Sydney teams at KP tbh which wouldn’t be the worse outcome if the team makes it that far

Back