Rumour Goodwin under close scrutiny

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to as well
KYBhk4.gif

Did anyone actually buy any of the BS Pert and Goodwin tried to spin on SEN apart from a few die hard Melbourne members?

They came across as very prepared and disengenuous to me.
I can’t believe that he hasn’t spoken to Joel Smith since the incident came out. What sort of care does that show for his players?

I can’t believe that he hasn’t spoken to Joel Smith since the incident came out. What sort of care does that show for his players?

As I said in the Joel Smith thread, I wouldn't be surprised if other players were involved.

I couldn't believe this either...

I would have thought as a coach and motivator of men; calling the bloke or at least a text message would have been the bare minimum. This is a guy who is demanding high standards and efforts from his players, not only professionally but in their day to day lives.

Why are they expected to go over and above for someone, when he's not even going to have their backs or any care for them at all for that matter, when they make a mistake, no matter how big or small? I'd look at that as a player and say "f**k this guy, he only wants to talk to us when things are good or he wants something from us. He'll drop us the instant things aren't so rosey".

Him saying he has "anger" about it and giving the silent treatment is simply unprofessional in his role. He doesn't have to get involved in specifics given it's an ongoing investigation, but c'mon.

Maybe Goodwin is an elitist flog and Smith isn't an important enough player for him to waste his time. You bet your arse he's been in contact with Oliver and his people.

Was it not reported that Smith hadn't even spoke to the coach yet either. Once sprung he should be one of the first he got in contact with.
Extremely odd IMO. Not sure why more hasn't been made of it. Goody hasn't reached out to Smith, and vice versa. Goodwin says it was because he was so 'angry and frustrated'.....the club was made aware weeks ago, surely he can put his emotions aside even for a quick welfare check? Something is not right at that club, truly bizarre.

Notwithstanding the fact that under SIA rules Goodwin is not permitted to speak to the suspended player.

But hey, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
This was my first thought.

Look there's a lot of fluff around this. Young blokes (and to an old fart like me Goodwin is still a youngish bloke) use a lot of substances we used to think were hairy. Dimma Hardwick gets flak for a bit of marijuana, jeepers not even I think that's bad.

I think a lot of this stuff should be legal but it ain't, players who get caught are just plain stupid, not evil.

Melbourne's problem has a been a bit too much loyalty. They hung onto the 2021 side too hard, refused trades last year they have been forced to make this year, didn't give new blokes a decent go. Still a cracking list, prolly 1 decent assistant away from a flag or at least a good run at it.

This was my first thought.

Look there's a lot of fluff around this. Young blokes (and to an old fart like me Goodwin is still a youngish bloke) use a lot of substances we used to think were hairy. Dimma Hardwick gets flak for a bit of marijuana, jeepers not even I think that's bad.

I think a lot of this stuff should be legal but it ain't, players who get caught are just plain stupid, not evil.

Melbourne's problem has a been a bit too much loyalty. They hung onto the 2021 side too hard, refused trades last year they have been forced to make this year, didn't give new blokes a decent go. Still a cracking list, prolly 1 decent assistant away from a flag or at least a good run at it.

I agree with this to a point.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Melbourne players are bad people. I think it’s more a case that this is starting to feel a hell of a lot like the Eagles of the mid 2000s, which in hindsight we all know the club and league didn’t do enough to support those players.

All the noise about Oliver something clearly isn’t right and it’s more than just recreational.

Smith is testing positive that close to a game, either there’s some elements of addiction if he has to do it that close or he’s using it as performance enhancing.

The Melksham/May incident early also needs a mention.

All the rumours of Goodwin and his management, and treatment of staff.

Something doesn’t smell right.

If they are putting anything but water in their bodies during the season they deserve to be caught and suspended or even sacked. They're supposed to be athletes, become a doof doof DJ instead if they want the babe's and the drugs!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notwithstanding the fact that under SIA rules Goodwin is not permitted to speak to the suspended player.

Where is that stated?

I may have missed it, but couldn't find it...

Pert admitted that he has spoken to Smith, once he was contacted by the AFL. Is the CEO allowed to but the coach can't?

He isn't suspended yet

Is that in response to me?

If so, what's Flanagan got to do with anything?

Can you point us to the law that states under SIA rules, Goodwin is not permitted to speak to the suspended player as you claimed?

When Willie Rioli got done, and there were significant delays with his case progressing, it felt like every week the Eagles were putting out updates about his welfare (including what they were doing to aid him) and campaigning ASADA to sort out the delays. I also remember a couple of news stories from the time about Willie being 'released' to go back home and be with family etc

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Melbourne players are bad people. I think it’s more a case that this is starting to feel a hell of a lot like the Eagles of the mid 2000s, which in hindsight we all know the club and league didn’t do enough to support those players.

All the noise about Oliver something clearly isn’t right and it’s more than just recreational.

Smith is testing positive that close to a game, either there’s some elements of addiction if he has to do it that close or he’s using it as performance enhancing.

There were rumours about Bomber for quite a while before his meltdown and the only people who didn’t know about it were the Essendon board.

Yeah maybe, more likely they've tried to pretend everything's OK when really some changes are needed.

No doubt there are other coaches and other players doing even more. It's just Melbourbe have had some internal disunity so even if some of this was just shellfish allergies the fact there's been drug allegations makes it harder to smooth this over.

This Glen Bartlett seems like a real turd stinking up the club like this. Disloyal self serving act to blow up in this way.

When Willie Rioli got done, and there were significant delays with his case progressing, it felt like every week the Eagles were putting out updates about his welfare (including what they were doing to aid him) and campaigning ASADA to sort out the delays. I also remember a couple of news stories from the time about Willie being 'released' to go back home and be with family etc

Yeah, I remember it was pretty over the top re. their public support...

Demon in Hell is just a blind supporter of their footy club. It seems they are completely ok with fabricating things to suit their "defend Melbourne at all costs" narrative. I have read all through the SIA stuff and nowhere does it say that a coach cannot have contact.

Me thinks that was just a straight up lie...

Demon in Hell is just a blind supporter of their footy club. It seems they are completely ok with fabricating things to suit their "defend Melbourne at all costs" narrative. I have read all through the SIA stuff and nowhere does it say that a coach cannot have contact.

This almost reminds me of when lachie Whitfield tried to evade testing and Lambert and gubby got banned for 12 months.

Perhaps lessons learnt in plausible deniability

Smith has been provisionaly suspended from the MFC football program. That is he is not permitted to speak to the coaches or football staff.

The only person he talks to is the doctors.

Read the rules again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back