Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

And now the media pressure starts. Interesting to see how he and the team responds. It’s been a while since any pressure was placed on the team.

Hopefully not a lot of our supporters get baited into negative press about what fagan says or doesn’t say during press conferences lol

Truely the lowest form of criticism

There seems to be a criticism that reserves players aren’t given a go in the seniors often enough but I think the coaches have been very good at identifying who is ready to go and who isn’t. Wilmot, Fletcher, Ashcroft all came straight in as draftees and played a role. Coleman and Payne were made to wait and made the position their own and we will hopefully see the same with Lohmann, Tunstill and Dev. Guys like Answerth and Lester fell out of favour and were made to earn their spots back. Bailey also played pretty early on from memory. So I think the opportunities are there if they are good enough.

I understand the perception that guys are rotting in the reserves but I don’t recall too many guys coming in and failing, Robertson was played as a forward early on and was in and out but that’s the only one I can think of.

I'm happy we kept Dev as depth but he just has limitations that are hard to overcome. I know he hasn't got a shot as an inside mid but I don't see why we would have ever dropped any of our other mids over the last few years.

His disposal and decision making leave a lot to be desired - basically all he can kind of do is a defensive role.

I'm happy we kept Dev as depth but he just has limitations that are hard to overcome. I know he hasn't got a shot as an inside mid but I don't see why we would have ever dropped any of our other mids over the last few years.

His disposal and decision making leave a lot to be desired - basically all he can kind of do is a defensive role.

He also seems very small to be an inside mid. Or his physical strength is more geared to outside.

Press conference responses and not being a hard-arse and dropping players are pretty well bottom of my issue with Fages.

People just want their frustration over poor performances taken out somehow, be it through the coach being like 'yeah we were s**t house and I suck' in the presser or dropping a player who annoys them.

Leigh Matthews was doing pre-game on 3AW a few weeks ago and basically said putting the fear of being dropped into players was worse for performance - because players will be tight and nervous, not in a position to perform their best.

Press conference responses and not being a hard-arse and dropping players are pretty well bottom of my issue with Fages.

People just want their frustration over poor performances taken out somehow, be it through the coach being like 'yeah we were s**t house and I suck' in the presser or dropping a player who annoys them.

Leigh Matthews was doing pre-game on 3AW a few weeks ago and basically said putting the fear of being dropped into players was worse for performance - because players will be tight and nervous, not in a position to perform their best.
Some coaches have been pilloried after their PC's ever since I've been following footy.

If you're a Melbourne club you're going to cop it especially if things aren't going too well. Look at Voss last year . Seriously I don't know how he got out of bed in the morning because he was done and dusted ,had no clue , and just degraded especially on SM week after week.

Fages doesn't know he's alive and has reacted poorly on occasions to mundane legitimate questions.

As far as what Leigh said he's our Board member isn't he and what he said I didn't see in particular applied to his coaching history.

Obviously you need to get a balance , some players need a wake up call and a kick up the backside ,others get petrified of making a mistake , you need to look at individuals and what is needed for the team. There's nothing in essence wrong with Fagan's philosophy except you do run the risk of breeding complacency and maybe damage the motivation of those not getting a crack.

Anyone who thinks hard and fast rules should apply needs to be in the army.

Please excuse my intrusion onto the Lions board.

As a Glenelg fan in the SANFL, how did you rate Mark Stone as strategy & stoppage coach while he was there?

Is he missed?

To add to this anyone who thinks motivation and effort isn't a significant issue for our team just hasn't been watching.

I don't have any answer as to what the best course of action is ,if anything , but it's something the coaches have to bear the responsibilty for redressing. Presuming they've identified the problem.

Please excuse my intrusion onto the Lions board.

As a Glenelg fan in the SANFL, how did you rate Mark Stone as strategy & stoppage coach while he was there?

Is he missed?
Anyone who mentioned him on here used to knock him like they do most coaches but he's looking a whole lot better since he left.

I think I've watched the press conference of a Lions coach maybe five times since 1997 and never felt like I've missed anything. Never really understood why fans of any club think press conference comments have any relevance to coaching ability but whatever.

I think I've watched the press conference of a Lions coach maybe five times since 1997 and never felt like I've missed anything. Never really understood why fans of any club think press conference comments have any relevance to coaching ability but whatever.
I don't think anyone half sensible thinks it has any relevance to coaching ability but many take it as a character test to see if the coach is hurting as much as they are and accepting any responsibility for what happened on the field.

All the coaches hate it . David Parkin used to call it the 5th quarter.

I feel sorry for tennis players and golfers who have to front up after blowing an unlosable situation or whatever. You would really have to put your emotions aside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah unfortunately he does scream ‘depth player’ at this point.

Whether it's indicative of anything who knows but I've been very impressed with Kingsley's performance in PC's.

He answers questions directly straight up with what seems like honesty. I did see him get a bit niggly over Toby's bump which is the first time I've seen him what you might call overreact.

Could be the reason ?

Why did we let him go ?
Correct me if any of this is incorrect, from memory.
Was at West Coast when they won a premiership.
Sydney were going up the ladder when he was there, but he left the year before they won their flag.
Was at Freo when they were going well, top four.
Came to Glenelg as coach and won a flag.
Went to Brisbane, made the GF.

Correct me if any of this is incorrect, from memory.
Was at West Coast when they won a premiership.
Sydney were going up the ladder when he was there, but he left the year before they won their flag.
Was at Freo when they were going well, top four.
Came to Glenelg as coach and won a flag.
Went to Brisbane, made the GF.
Maybe he wanted to drop players and send a message. Or give them a bake. Or offended some of them.

Very impressive CV it must be said. Which is probably why we employed him.

Maybe he wanted to drop players and send a message. Or give them a bake. Or offended some of them.

Very impressive CV it must be said. Which is probably why we employed him.
He was on SA radio a week after the Grand Final, if I remember correctly, he mentioned a few things we got wrong on the big day and said Collingwood deserved the win, they were the better team on the day. He mentioned he was looking forward to the preseason and a big 2024 tilt at the premiership. A few weeks later, Brisbane said he will be leaving the Lions.

He was on SA radio a week after the Grand Final, if I remember correctly, he mentioned a few things we got wrong on the big day and said Collingwood deserved the win, they were the better team on the day. He mentioned he was looking forward to the preseason and a big 2024 tilt at the premiership. A few weeks later, Brisbane said he will be leaving the Lions.
Maybe shouldn't have given that interview.

Any sort of criticism doesn't go down well in the bunker.

Maybe shouldn't have given that interview.

Any sort of criticism doesn't go down well in the bunker.

Spoken like someone who has no idea. There is a great feedback culture at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back