Captaincy / Leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly you have jumped the gun and don’t know what he said.
If he gets anything but cheered by Lions fans people need to take a look in the mirror.

The lesson here has to be; 'i wish id have said nothing...'. Its a hecking mess.

What did or didn’t happen or what lead to it to begin with, doesn’t change my opinion that we still need a change of captain next year.

Zorko for years now has been carrying on like a tool on the field, giving away 50s and just general floggish behaviour.

I think it says it all that when we all first heard an incident occurred last week, before we even knew what had happened, everyone’s automatic reaction to it was ‘let me guess, Zorko?’. You don’t want that in your captain. Great servant over a number **** years but time to pass the baton on.
Well I'm sure he wouldn't be captain next year anyway.

Just because he's the only one getting in the face of opponents isn't a bad thing . Someone has to take the heat. I've noticed on these threads the extent to which he 'carries on like a tool...' etc is grossly exaggerated. Every time he does it the once people go on about it for weeks. They're still yapping about Touk Miller.

People here just don't like him . But they'll know when he's gone what a great player and influence he was.

Wont be from the supporters on here after what I’ve been reading the past 6 days.
I'm still not confident in Zorko being captain however the way he has been treated by the AFL community over this given everything that has now come out does make me want to defend the guy. But if we are lucky this could galvanise the group and give them a bit more hunger.

Well I'm sure he wouldn't be captain next year anyway.

Just because he's the only one getting in the face of opponents isn't a bad thing . Someone has to take the heat. I've noticed on these threads the extent to which he 'carries on like a tool...' etc is grossly exaggerated. Every time he does it the once people go on about it for weeks. They're still yapping about Touk Miller.

People here just don't like him. But they'll know when he's gone what a great player and influence he was.
Fans don’t just dislike players for no reason.

I roam around the other team boards a fair bit.

I guarantee that Zorko is the most disliked Lions player for every other team. And it’s not based on last weekend’s behaviour.

You could have run a poll during the bye on every opposition team board, and Zorko would have topped it.

Yes, we’ll know when Zorko is gone, he has been a bloody good player. But being a good player and being a knob on the field isn’t mutually exclusive.

I'm still not confident in Zorko being captain however the way he has been treated by the AFL community over this given everything that has now come out does make me want to defend the guy. But if we are lucky this could galvanise the group and give them a bit more hunger.
personally, I am hoping any galvanization we go with comes from being absolutely belted the last round of the season, rather than some media boo-ha.

But I guess I should be glad if we have any lift and pressure at all, can't really argue about where it comes from :D

Fans don’t just dislike players for no reason.

I roam around the other team boards a fair bit.

I guarantee that Zorko is the most disliked Lions player for every other team. And it’s not based on last weekend’s behaviour.

You could have run a poll during the bye on every opposition team board, and Zorko would have topped it.

Yes, we’ll know when Zorko is gone, he has been a bloody good player. But being a good player and being a knob on the field isn’t mutually exclusive.
Don't agree. They don't like him because he gets in the face of opponents and takes a lot of the physical and verbal heat that would be directed elsewhere if he wasn't playing. Every team needs one or two.

It's a part of footy that's underestimated. And that most fans wouldn't understand.

Don't agree. They don't like him because he gets in the face of opponents and takes a lot of the physical and verbal heat that would be directed elsewhere if he wasn't playing. Every team needs one or two.

It's a part of footy that's underestimated. And that most fans wouldn't understand.
But that’s part of him being a knob on the field. There’s no need for it.

It doesn’t stop opposition teams from their individual roles on certain other players of ours. Whether that’s tagging Neale or targeting Coleman.

It doesn’t stop opposition teams from sledging other players of ours.

There’s no need to linger in a tackle, or put an opponent in a headlock, or gut punch/slap someone as he runs past.

Especially when this is coming from our captain.

But that’s part of him being a knob on the field. There’s no need for it.

It doesn’t stop opposition teams from their individual roles on certain other players of ours. Whether that’s tagging Neale or targeting Coleman.

It doesn’t stop opposition teams from sledging other players of ours.

There’s no need to linger in a tackle, or put an opponent in a headlock, or gut punch/slap someone as he runs past.

Especially when this is coming from our captain.
Don't wanna drop names but I remember talking to the greatest ever BL player at a function and he said the most underestimated part of winning footy games was getting in the nose of your opponents and unnerving them mentally so they got more focused on you than their own game. Just constantly niggling them ,knowing that you were there. Getting under their skin by doing things that you'd never get reported for.

He was a great admirer of Zorko for the way he often sacrificied his own game in that way for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't wanna drop names but I remember talking to the greatest ever BL player at a function and he said the most underestimated part of winning footy games was getting in the nose of your opponents and unnerving them mentally so they got more focused on you than their own game. Just constantly niggling them ,knowing that you were there. Getting under their skin by doing things that you'd never get reported for.

He was a great admirer of Zorko for the way he often sacrificied his own game in that way for the team.
He was definitely well known as a top shelf sledger.

However he could also take it, and didn't snap if people had a go at him.

Lester?

He was definitely well known as a top shelf sledger.

However he could also take it, and didn't snap if people had a go at him.
On the assumption that is could only be one person. He also didn’t give away stupid free kicks, was able to intimidate opponents rather than be laughed at and could lift the entire team with one act.

On the assumption that is could only be one person. He also didn’t give away stupid free kicks, was able to intimidate opponents rather than be laughed at and could lift the entire team with one act.
By comparison you can see when Zorko decides to step up and impose himself on the game. It might not be 100% successful but he will absolutely step up, get half a dozen possessions in a minute and try to push us back up.

Neale is the only other player in our team that comes close to that.

It seems you're another Zorko hater.

I don't mind opposition supporters telling me that he's a tosser but coming from my own mob I just shake my head.

Btw I think your man gave away many stupid free kicks in the context of gaining physical ascendency.

By comparison you can see when Zorko decides to step up and impose himself on the game. It might not be 100% successful but he will absolutely step up, get half a dozen possessions in a minute and try to push us back up.

Neale is the only other player in our team that comes close to that.
Correct. Zorko can only do what he can do in terms of his own physical limitations. But at least he tries his guts out to do it and have an impact.

In the absence of anyone else the last few years you can see why he's unanimously been elected Captain.

What I will concede is that Zorko's 34 now and still trying to lift the team in the same way as he could when he was 27 or 28 and we had no one else.

Age and injury mean that he misfires a lot more than he used to.

The problem is we still have no one else .

Well we have Matho but he's not Zorko is he.

It seems you're another Zorko hater.

I don't mind opposition supporters telling me that he's a tosser but coming from my own mob I just shake my head.

Btw I think your man gave away many stupid free kicks in the context of gaining physical ascendency.
Not a Zorko hater, I just don’t think he has been a great captain on field over the last couple of years. He might be a great captain off field though which may be more important that the 2 hours a week footy is played. Maybe Vossy and Browny set my expectations too high.

What I will concede is that Zorko's 34 now and still trying to lift the team in the same way as he could when he was 27 or 28 and we had no one else.

Age and injury mean that he misfires a lot more than he used to.

The problem is we still have no one else .

Well we have Matho but he's not Zorko is he.
Which is a huge indictment on our team. Maybe our lack of good to great captaincy options is why we have a stupidly big leadership group?

Correct. Zorko can only do what he can do in terms of his own physical limitations. But at least he tries his guts out to do it and have an impact.

In the absence of anyone else the last few years you can see why he's unanimously been elected Captain.
Should the players or coaches elect the captain? Serious question. I worry that the players go by whoever is already captain and no one, unless the captain is universally hated is going to challenge that or it is just a sort of popularity vote.

Which is a huge indictment on our team. Maybe our lack of good to great captaincy options is why we have a stupidly big leadership group?
Zorko's still considered a great leader within the group. Btw the coaches would unanimously elect Zorko as well.

But he's past it now . He should be in the backline directing traffic where he'd still be a very good player . That opportunity may also have passed.

You're right. There's no obvious leader within the group.

It just has to be Neale out of who we've got .

We groomed Andrews and it's dead set not him and I hope they don't decide to go down that route.

Zorko's still considered a great leader within the group. Btw the coaches would unanimously elect Zorko as well.

But he's past it now . He should be in the backline directing traffic where he'd still be a very good player . That opportunity may also have passed.

You're right. There's no obvious leader within the group.

It just has to be Neale out of who we've got .

We groomed Andrews and it's dead set not him and I hope they don't decide to go down that route.
with the info we have now im not opposed to zorko going another round.

but it would have to be with some sort of captaincy succession plan in the background. setting up a starcevich / clug / big o to take the full reins in 2024. zorko for his faults is very good at the pr stuff and idk if any of the likely captain options are quite ready to handle that yet

i agree giving the captaincy to andrews would be a bad thing for him. he needs to focus on getting his body right

im coming around to the idea that big o could be captain material. his press conference a few weeks ago brought a real smile to my face, just a genuine down to earth and affable bloke. often hear him firing up the team when we get looks internally as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back