Coach Fages and the coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d say Neale is the only one that shouldn’t be leaving the inside midfield since it’s the only position he’s really suitable to play. Dunkley spent years forward and Clugs is a good high half forward as well. There’s not reason they can see more time in those secondary positions while others chop through with more midfield time.
See that's exactly the reason I want him out of there. He's won 2 brownlows and got 200+ clearances over 2023 for us but after him there is no follow up act. Our next best is Big O with 140.

There is a ridiculous amount of reliance on Neale to win that first ball or else our midfield seems to run clueless beyond that. There is no sharing amongst the group either, Rayner winning 6 clearances in Q1 against Pies was like lightning striking our midfield - a rarity.

It is in Neale's best interests to teach his midfield buddies and build a system for the entire midfield squad so the load can be shared and we become more potent on the clearance aspect. It is not there right now and it's killing us badly in the middle.

See that's exactly the reason I want him out of there. He's won 2 brownlows and got 200+ clearances over 2023 for us but after him there is no follow up act. Our next best is Big O with 140.

There is a ridiculous amount of reliance on Neale to win that first ball or else our midfield seems to run clueless beyond that. There is no sharing amongst the group either, Rayner winning 6 clearances in Q1 against Pies was like lightning striking our midfield - a rarity.

It is in Neale's best interests to teach his midfield buddies and build a system for the entire midfield squad so the load can be shared and we become more potent on the clearance aspect. It is not there right now and it's killing us badly in the middle.

Maybe we could give him the defensive role? Tell Rayner or Tunstill to go win it and put Neale out back where Dunks is to cover a loss.

I’m not sure where else we’d put him. Half forward? Wing?

Maybe we could give him the defensive role? Tell Rayner or Tunstill to go win it and put Neale out back where Dunks is to cover a loss.

I’m not sure where else we’d put him. Half forward? Wing?
Doesnt even need to move him out, just let him be the ringmaster and make others go in to win footy. Let him be the orchestrator than the main doer. Right now we don't have the rest showing any impetus to go and win that ball, almost feels like everyone is dutifully waiting for Neale to do something.

Doesnt even need to move him out, just let him be the ringmaster and make others go in to win footy. Let him be the orchestrator than the main doer. Right now we don't have the rest showing any impetus to go and win that ball, almost feels like everyone is dutifully waiting for Neale to do something.
Lachie's a bit angry and just not getting inside and to the contest often enough.

He's obviously not right and just doesn't look fit.

But even as he is he's going to be more value than whoever else we'd put in because the opposition have to sacrifice one of theirs and put time into him.

I think Neale is clearly missing Lyons. We desperately need another pure mid.
… alternatively, we could play Lester in the middle. He can do anything! You heard it first. Fages, listen up!

He won't though. That is the issue. He will never use younger players from the reserves long term. He may bring them up for one or two weeks but then will drop them.
Based on the press conference, don't think there will be mass changes, but i think it is getting close (where it is obvious to all we cannot win) where he should be looking at giving some of the younger players some exposure. Tell them they have a block of games so they are not inhibited with their natural game and not worried about making a mistake.

The golden run injury wise we’ve had over the last however many years has actually come back to be a curse this year. Not only has our luck run out in that aspect, but because we haven’t had to (and because we have chose not to), expose any of our depth we’re now finding out we don’t have a whole lot.

Couple that with the fact a large number of senior guys are well done on their past form, which in some instances may be permanent given some of their ages, it’s not exactly hard to see where things are starting to fall down.

This doesn’t even start to question mentally how the group would be feeling. Getting so close after a number of years, only to blow it at the end. Come back to the new year and everyone patting them on the back, saying we just had to turn up and we’ll be back there on GF day. Round 1 comes and we lose our most important ball user and injuries have just continued to mount from there with results heading the same way.

I honestly shudder to think how bad the second half of our season might be if we are out of contention and subsequent motivation by then.
If it comes to that with the second half of the season, hopefully we are playing some of the younger players to gauge what we have moving forward. Many other posters more knowledgeable than I, suggest we need more speed in the midfield and after last Thursday night I would agree.

I think Neale is clearly missing Lyons. We desperately need another pure mid.
Whilst obviously Lyons is not the answer, I do agree Lachie needs help. He’s clearly struggling with injury right now, as well as just getting older.

I’ve said Dunks is the one I want to see freed up to go hunt the ball a bit more. Cam is also the other one who should be given free reign around the contest to go and win the ball, but as has been said repeatedly, he doesn’t get as much time in the middle as he should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, this is the hard thing. If we had a succession plan in place, I would move them all on, do a mini rebuild as Fagan is good at doing that, then put the new coach on to take over when we are finals bound again.

I wouldn't be opposed at Fagan rebuilding
Trading out 5-6 of our best players ain’t a mini rebuild mate that would take a number of years to come back from.

If Neale is struggling with injury then he shouldn’t be playing. This is part of the reason why we have no midfield depth. We don’t allow anyone else to have a crack.
IIRC Lachie missed a string of games a few years ago, circa 6-7 games and we won everyone of those games, I think Matho played well in there.

IIRC Lachie missed a string of games a few years ago, circa 6-7 games and we won everyone of those games, I think Matho played well in there.

We played brilliantly in that period as well. Almost our best football under Fagan

midfield forward synergy is dead. Skyballs inside 50 over and over and over is pathetic. We aren’t norf ffs. Forwards aren’t working hard defensively to lock the ball in. Selfish players.

Backline is going well considering the above issues. Footy these days is you defend from the front and attack from the back. Our forward and mids just don’t defend.

Another thing is that been ongoing for years is that we rely so much on midfield winning their battles. If they don’t we play like absolute s**t. A few key areas we need to address urgently. As above in simple terms.

There seems to be a criticism that reserves players aren’t given a go in the seniors often enough but I think the coaches have been very good at identifying who is ready to go and who isn’t. Wilmot, Fletcher, Ashcroft all came straight in as draftees and played a role. Coleman and Payne were made to wait and made the position their own and we will hopefully see the same with Lohmann, Tunstill and Dev. Guys like Answerth and Lester fell out of favour and were made to earn their spots back. Bailey also played pretty early on from memory. So I think the opportunities are there if they are good enough.

I understand the perception that guys are rotting in the reserves but I don’t recall too many guys coming in and failing, Robertson was played as a forward early on and was in and out but that’s the only one I can think of.

And now the media pressure starts. Interesting to see how he and the team responds. It’s been a while since any pressure was placed on the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back