EPL Matchday 11 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a narrative, he's a bit crap at defending but great going forward.

This is like Groundhog Day!

He's a competent but not great defender. But what he brings to the table in his other qualities such as assists and decisive passes makes him the most valuable 'full back' in the league. He's given the remit to push down the line or drift inside to the edge of the opposition box. He can do this if Liverpool retain possession and the CBs and one of the mids cover that side. When they get it right it results in a lot of goals and plenty of clean sheets. He had a hand in 14 goals last season and played in 18 clean sheets. This season he hasn't been at the same level but also Van Dijk has been off his game and maybe Henderson too.

Reece James is rated as a better defender but he played 26 Premier League games last season for only 7 clean sheets. You have to judge a player on how he is asked to play, and how his team is performing.

He's a competent but not great defender. But what he brings to the table in his other qualities such as assists and decisive passes makes him the most valuable 'full back' in the league. He's given the remit to push down the line or drift inside to the edge of the opposition box. He can do this if Liverpool retain possession and the CBs and one of the mids cover that side. When they get it right it results in a lot of goals and plenty of clean sheets. He had a hand in 14 goals last season and played in 18 clean sheets. This season he hasn't been at the same level but also Van Dijk has been off his game and maybe Henderson too.

Reece James is rated as a better defender but he played 26 Premier League games last season for only 7 clean sheets. You have to judge a player on how he is asked to play, and how his team is performing.

Pretty much spot on. Looking at some of the greatest ever full backs none were great defensively Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lizarazu, Ashley Cole all fit into this category. What they do offer is fantastic attacking ability with the ability to defend. Like you say when it works well you are always on the front foot keeping the ball from your opponent. Anyone who is a great defender should be playing as one of the 2 CBs (or 3 depending on setup). Trent's passing and crossing are some of the best of any player, let alone fullbacks. One of his signature moves is cutting infield on his left foot and a quick switch to Robbo in acres of space. on the opposite flank. Nobody else in our team has the ability to do that.

A must for all of these players is at least one of the 2 CBS playing alongside you to have plenty of pace to cover and one of your midfielders be prepared to do the dirty work upon the ball being turned over up high. If these components of the system are not working properly then goals happen. When we had midfielders out injured Elliot playing was a particular problem in this area because he would tend to come inside being left footed and didn't offer much help defensively.

I reckon we will see a tactical tweak from Klopp. Instead of Trent playing high up the pitch all the time he will do it dependent on what's happening in the game. This keeps the opposition guessing and less willing to commit numbers forward on a counter attack. Full backs in any trophy winning side absolutely must be attacking, that's how the modern game is.

You say that as if clean sheet is an individual stat. It'd be like judging a player on how many wins they played in as if it's a direct commentary on their individual ability.

I guess you could say TAA is rated better offensively yet in the league last season James had 5 goals 9 assists in 26 games and TAA had 2 goals 12 assists in 32 games:shrug:

TAA is great going forward no doubt, but IMO hes below average defensively and he will move to a different position eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also learned that you cant read. So I guess we've all learned something today.
It seems you are the one who doesnt understand English. No excuses, but maybe that's because you're really under the pump and sometimes you just let slip out poor words. No excuses but.

Jod I think what you're failing to understand is that you used the term "no excuses" and then went on to try and justify the behaviour.

If there were no excuses, there wouldn't have been any justification or attempt to defend it.
He doesn't seem to understand that part as myself and Art pointed out.

Jod I think what you're failing to understand is that you used the term "no excuses" and then went on to try and justify the behaviour.

If there were no excuses, there wouldn't have been any justification or attempt to defend it.

Thats a pretty disingenuous interpretation there of what Jod has said. Jod is clearly saying there is reason for Klopp to be frustrated (Silva rugby tackle was not only blatant but put his player in danger with no protection from the linesman) while at the same time stating Klopp losing it at the linesman not flagging for it is unacceptable and should be punished accordingly.

Thats actually what Dermot Gallagher said on sky ref watch about the whole incident.

I mean I cant help you at this rate mate. Like I've been pretty clear. I'm not failing to understand anything, you are clearly failing to understand though and at this point it's difficult for me to help you understand because you appear quite ignorant.

There are no excuses for Klopp's behaviour or for any manager who loses their shit at refs, which a lot of them do, not just Klopp.

Then I went on to say I understand why Klopp did what he did. That doesnt mean I'm excusing him. It means I am trying to understand his situation which shows empathy which is an important human characteristic to have.

I have put myself in his shoes and try to understand where he is coming from. That's not excusing it.

Like I dont know how you dont understand that.

It's just the same bunch of guys on here, trying to make it out to be something that it isnt which is always the same stuff that we get from you lads.

🤷‍♂️

I mean I cant help you at this rate mate. Like I've been pretty clear. I'm not failing to understand anything, you are clearly failing to understand though and at this point it's difficult for me to help you understand because you appear quite ignorant.

There are no excuses for Klopp's behaviour or for any manager who loses their s**t at refs, which a lot of them do, not just Klopp.

Then I went on to say I understand why Klopp did what he did. That doesnt mean I'm excusing him. It means I am trying to understand his situation which shows empathy which is an important human characteristic to have.

I have put myself in his shoes and try to understand where he is coming from. That's not excusing it.

It's just the same bunch of guys on here, trying to make it out to be something that it isnt which is always the same stuff that we get from you lads.

🤷‍♂️
There are no excuses, but...

There are no excuses for Klopp's behaviour or for any manager who loses their s**t at refs, which a lot of them do, not just Klopp.

🤷‍♂️
Oh yeah, we are the big bad bullies and you're never wrong.

Got it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back