Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why shouldn't they? He was a Hawthorn great.

Father/son is a long standing rule that now benefits 16 clubs. Academies benefit 4 clubs.

The only clubs that should have academy access are GWS and Gold Coast. And on a lesser scale Fremantle.

It's an absolute rort that Brisbane and Sydney receive the best of both worlds.

So in effect you're saying that the past players of some clubs are as sterile as the minds that recruited them.

Past of the players matter only from their playing career perspective. Invite him back, celebrate, do whatever you want for the wonderful service he has provided for your club. It does not mean the club has blanket rights over that players family and all his sons, daughters forever.

Why can't Daicos go and play for North Melbourne as he should've ? Oh the tradition, oh the romance, oh the sentiment - all BS reasons to tie him back to Collingwood rather than a club which is rebuilding and in dire need of a talent like him.

Father son is a steaming pile of rort which was made up for some clubs convenience. It does not benefit 16 clubs - St.Kilda haven't seen father son like forever. Don't give me the excuse of "oh it'll happen eventually you poor thing, just wait". The system is BS and uneven so it needs to go, along with rest of it.

Past of the players matter only from their playing career perspective. Invite him back, celebrate, do whatever you want for the wonderful service he has provided for your club. It does not mean the club has blanket rights over that players family and all his sons, daughters forever.

Why can't Daicos go and play for North Melbourne as he should've ? Oh the tradition, oh the romance, oh the sentiment - all BS reasons to tie him back to Collingwood rather than a club which is rebuilding and in dire need of a talent like him.

Father son is a steaming pile of rort which was made up for some clubs convenience. It does not benefit 16 clubs - St.Kilda haven't seen father son like forever. Don't give me the excuse of "oh it'll happen eventually you poor thing, just wait". The system is BS and uneven so it needs to go, along with rest of it.
No the academies are the rort.

15 clubs can't be to blame for St.Kilda's past players being sterile.

Why shouldn't they? He was a Hawthorn great.

Father/son is a long standing rule that now benefits 16 clubs. Academies benefit 4 clubs.

The only clubs that should have academy access are GWS and Gold Coast. And on a lesser scale Fremantle.

It's an absolute rort that Brisbane and Sydney receive the best of both worlds.

So in effect you're saying that the past players of some clubs are as sterile as the minds that recruited them.

Let's extrapolate your BS theory to a player who chooses to get married 4 times and has 16 kids across 4 wives. Oh you still need to let all 16 kids go to one club to maintain tradition. What a lovely rule, can put a guy in a sperm donation camp out there and build a full team along with support staff out of it.

May be you still won't see the problem or conveniently want to ignore it coz this is a rule which has benefited you in the past.

Father Son is a made up crap rule which belongs in the past and it should be removed from the AFL system to even the drafting field and bring some parity across all clubs.

Let's extrapolate your BS theory to a player who chooses to get married 4 times and has 16 kids across 4 wives. Oh you still need to let all 16 kids go to one club to maintain tradition. What a lovely rule, can put a guy in a sperm donation camp out there and build a full team along with support staff out of it.

May be you still won't see the problem or conveniently want to ignore it coz this is a rule which has benefited you in the past.

Father Son is a made up crap rule which belongs in the past and it should be removed from the AFL system to even the drafting field and bring some parity across all clubs.
Absolutely not. I don't care who it benefits.

I'm a traditionalist ... I like seeing the sons of former players - no matter which club, following in their fathers footsteps.

Now answer me this ... why should Brisnane get both an academy and the offspring of former players?

I'm happy for this conversation to go to PM so we don't stink up the thread any further.

Absolutely not. I don't care who it benefits.

I'm a traditionalist ... I like seeing the sons of former players - no matter which club, following in their fathers footsteps.

Now answer me this ... why should Brisnane get both an academy and the offspring of former players?

I'm happy for this conversation to go to PM so we don't stink up the thread any further.

I'll leave it at this - for your question I'm arguing not to keep either.

But I'm arguing everyone should lose it so competition becomes even for all.

I'll leave it at this - for your question I'm arguing not to keep either.

But I'm arguing everyone should lose it so competition becomes even for all.
I respect your opinion but I disagree re; father/son rule.

Why should it stay? What's the benefit in letting one club get permanent rights to a family line?

For example - Hodge has 4 boys. It's BS Hawks have first dibs on all 4 of them without needing to put any work on any of them. Don't give me the "oh its the romance and sentiment of playing for father's club" crap as usual. Father did it as a job, he was good at it so he got to do it for 100+ games for multiple years. No other job field out there is giving a headstart or preferential selection for a son because the father was an excellent multi-year employee in their company.

It's not an even mechanism for all club to benefit so it needs to go. If Academy and NGA are going, Father Son should absolutely go. Look at the history of where it came from, it was a made up rule to get Ron Barrasi to Melbourne and then it's become a fixture now where some clubs are getting solid returns while others haven't seen anything for years.

Lions got Ashcroft and Fletcher now and in spite of that, I'd gladly vote for that rule to be abolished.
Look at the team the poster supports and remember that Geelong have 32 potential father sons (if any are good enough) over the next 5 drafts.

Look at the team the poster supports and remember that Geelong have 32 potential father sons (if any are good enough) over the next 5 drafts.

No wonder he/she's cheering for father son. Typical.

May be rest of the clubs should make a list and whine to head office about the unfair advantage one club is getting here.

Who are the 32 because it's news to me?

Now how many academy players have we had that have played a handful of games compared to the rest of the comp?

That answer may surprise you too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are the 32 because it's news to me?

Now how many academy players have we had that have played a handful of games compared to the rest of the comp?

That answer may surprise you too.

Yep the answer is going to surprise you.

You have to head over to other 2 threads in main board for father/son and academy to see all arguments. You'll see the chasm of gap in spite of academy covering a wide range of kids year after year. There'll be the usual "oh you'll get lucky there too soon" when the actual academy to AFL quality players result don't stack up to the parabolic sky-is-falling view of academy haters out there.

Yep the answer is going to surprise you.

You have to head over to other 2 threads in main board for father/son and academy to see all arguments. You'll see the chasm of gap in spite of academy covering a wide range of kids year after year. There'll be the usual "oh you'll get lucky there too soon" when the actual academy to AFL quality players result don't stack up to the parabolic sky-is-falling view of academy haters out there.
So who are the 32?

Why should it stay? What's the benefit in letting one club get permanent rights to a family line?

For example - Hodge has 4 boys. It's BS Hawks have first dibs on all 4 of them without needing to put any work on any of them. Don't give me the "oh its the romance and sentiment of playing for father's club" crap as usual. Father did it as a job, he was good at it so he got to do it for 100+ games for multiple years. No other job field out there is giving a headstart or preferential selection for a son because the father was an excellent multi-year employee in their company.

It's not an even mechanism for all club to benefit so it needs to go. If Academy and NGA are going, Father Son should absolutely go. Look at the history of where it came from, it was a made up rule to get Ron Barrasi to Melbourne and then it's become a fixture now where some clubs are getting solid returns while others haven't seen anything for years.

Lions got Ashcroft and Fletcher now and in spite of that, I'd gladly vote for that rule to be abolished.

The issue is not the priority access, its the points and bidding system. Change that so clubs actually have to use r1s to pay for the players and priority access for all clubs is fine.

Most arent good enough so you really should look past the raw numbers.

Most arent good enough so you really should look past the raw numbers.

In the past five years, F/S eligible guys for the Dogs (a side known to have benefitted strongly from F/S) included Josh Kellett, Oliver Liberatore, Daniel Romero, Ewan Macpherson, Billy and Tyler Kolyniuk, Kobi and Cooper West, Kai Dimattina, and Mitchell Croft. Good looking list. Another Liberatore, a set of West twins, the Vic Metro u16 captain in Ewan Macpherson, a 205cm unit in Mitchell Croft, surely that's just unfairly strong. None of them got drafted.

So who are the 32?
Sorry why are you asking me about 32? Check out who posted it and send your query over.

I replied to your extrapolated claim about how many academy kids were drafted year over year and what a goldmine it has been.

Weird you're supporting Father Son.

It has potentially cost you Nick Daicos / Will Ashcroft.
I am a bit traditionalist its been going on long enough now to be a bit of a tradition now. Just ask the sons of farthers they are over the moon to play for the team that their dad played for. We may have missed on a few good ones recently but pretty happy with who we ended up with instead in George and Harry. Who have we got coming up briztoon and were are they likely to go. It's got nothing at all to do with who we may or may not be getting because of it. And for the Cats farther sons good on them.

Sorry why are you asking me about 32? Check out who posted it and send your query over.

I replied to your extrapolated claim about how many academy kids were drafted year over year and what a goldmine it has been.
Not one part of your post makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back