Injury Clarkson recovers from Guillain-Barre syndrome (autoimmune disorder); starts coaching from 30/6/2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-05-27/club-statement-alastair-clarkson

After a series of tests, Clarkson has been diagnosed with Gullain-Barré syndrome (GBS), which is an inflammation of the nerves from the spinal cord.

Clarkson is expected to remain in hospital for the next week and a timeline for his full recovery is yet to be determined.

Assistant Coach Brendon Bolton will coach Hawthorn in Clarkson’s absence.

Our run of 'injuries' continues...
:mad:

Hopefully he won't be missing for long. Get well soon, mate!

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2014-05-27/club-statement-alastair-clarkson

After a series of tests, Clarkson has been diagnosed with Gullain-Barré syndrome (GBS), which is an inflammation of the nerves from the spinal cord.

Clarkson is expected to remain in hospital for the next week and a timeline for his full recovery is yet to be determined.

Assistant Coach Brendon Bolton will coach Hawthorn in Clarkson’s absence.

Our run of 'injuries' continues...
:mad:

Hopefully he won't be missing for long. Get well soon, mate!

Geeze, we can't take a trick.

Even our coach gets injured. Here is hoping he has a speedy recovery.

"Bad back" is a bit of an understatement!!!! Gullain-Barré syndrome can be really serious and have significant impact on mobility, can have life-threatening impacts on the respiration system and cause paralysis (most often overcome with treatment). It's good they caught it early, and depending on the GBS, it is generally fully treatable. I have had two family members contract different versions of GBS and I can tell you it is really serious.

Best wishes to Clarko and his family. It would have been very scary. The sudden onset of paralysis and deterioration of the nervous system can be very rapid and scary.

I would be guessing he will be out of action for a good while (read the rest of the year). Good luck in recovery and rehab Clarko!!!

This is not just a bad back as others have mentioned. There is no cure for GB syndrome but it can be managed and it can in some cases be take months for the symptons to disappear not just a week in hospital and there is always the chance the symptons can present themselves again.

I wish him and his family all the best in him getting back on his feet.

Prognosis: Recovery usually starts after the fourth week from the onset of the disorder. About 80% of patients have a complete recovery within a few months to a year, although minor findings may persist, such as areflexia. About 5–10% recover with severe disability, with most of such cases involving severe proximal motor and sensory axonal damage with inability of axonal regeneration. Despite all improvements in treatment and supportive care, the death rate is still about 2–3%, even in the best intensive care units.​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in Heaterlery he'll save us, not only can he hold our defence together he can coach while out there :oops:

Massive loss this is. GWS Clarko.

Geez. It's good to have the early diagnosis, though. That means he should recover.

Thread title is very misleading, btw.

First saw this on Facebook, didn't realise how serious it could be until reading the full article and information on these forums. The good news is he is expected to make a full recovery. And of course like every other supporter here I wish he has a full and a speedy recovery.

I have had Gullain Barre and being out for the rest of year is best case scenario.
It's a prick of a thing. I was lucky I caught it early enough to not end up in intensive care. The only reason I went to hospital early was I had some pins & needles in my fingers. Having had a heart attack 6 months prior made me get it checked out. I was still using a walking frame 3 months after being in hospital for 11 days. I was VERY lucky to have recovered so quickly. It normally takes alot longer than that.
Maybe they could wheel him into the coaches box for the finals if they caught it early enough but I doubt it. There is nothing that can be done to speed up the process. There are no drugs that can help.
Nothing back related about it.
This is not good. It is life threatening. If it gets into his lungs its a tracheostomy to help him breath etc.

Get well soon Clarko. You can beat this.

Last edited:
Terrible news for Clarko, I saw him at the VFL on Sunday and he appeared fine, amazing this can hit so suddenly.
All the best champ and good luck to Brendan Bolton, as Clarko would say just bring in another soldier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back