Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

On Busslinger, he is very close to selection. He moved into the rehab group today to monitor his loads, the club are being cautious not to overwork him.
Some are saying he’s not playing because he is leaving / shouldn’t play for that reason

Vandermeer’s opponent got nine coaches votes but it’s good to see him persisted with again, the way he uses his speed to run down players from behind is crucial and his ability to be composed under pressure is certainly not an issue.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bailey Smith’s direct opponent Iaasc Quaynor got 9 votes in the Collingwood match last year.

I see your point.

Do you both think he was worse last week than Khamis, Clarke, Ugle-Hagan, Gallagher and O'Donnell? I think he was better than all - which is obviously a terrible sign. He didn't play well, but I'm not surprised to see him stay in given the other changes. Especially with the most likely VFL replacements seemingly not putting their best foot forward.
Not necessarily, but all those guys have actually had good games before. Especially Kharmis and JUH, but VDM hasn’t had a good game since 2020. He is consistent, that is for sure. It was a week for 5 changes, not just 4. Even Taylor Dureay was lucky to survive, but he has so many credits in the bank, VDM has none, more likely a debt.

Some are saying he’s not playing because he is leaving / shouldn’t play for that reason
"Some" meaning the 2+2=5 speculators?

Or is this some actual intel from within MWO?

I hope and expect MC will play it straight. Give him every opportunity by selecting him when he's ready.

The best way to keep him - if he's really weighing up his career options - is to reaffirm our belief in him and to stick to established and fair principles of team selection and player development.

"Some" meaning the 2+2=5 speculators?

Or is this some actual intel from within MWO?

I hope and expect MC will play it straight. Give him every opportunity by selecting him when he's ready.

The best way to keep him - if he's really weighing up his career options - is to reaffirm our belief in him and to stick to established and fair principles of team selection and player development.
Even if we knew he was leaving there would be no logical reason not to play him.
If anyone is of that belief they're clutching at straws trying to justify his non-selection when their are other very logical reasons why he isn't in the senior team.

Not necessarily, but all those guys have actually had good games before. Especially Kharmis and JUH, but VDM hasn’t had a good game since 2020. He is consistent, that is for sure. It was a week for 5 changes, not just 4. Even Taylor Dureay was lucky to survive, but he has so many credits in the bank, VDM has none, more likely a debt.
That's fair - who, then, would you have brought in? Genuine question. I haven't watched the VFL, but from what I have seen, all of the high half forwards that could theoretically take Vandermeer's spot/role have been below par.

I take your overall point. But I'm pretty sure VDM had a game where people gave him Ching votes this year. Maybe in Rd 2 or 3?

I take your overall point. But I'm pretty sure VDM had a game where people gave him Ching votes this year. Maybe in Rd 2 or 3?
He's a slow burn VDM. Y'all come around eventually.
For mine, he's in our best 23. There's an intent about him...and I do like intent. 2 goals running I50 adds a bit of lustre also...I thought.

Keath struggles with the pace of AFL vs VFL in my opinion
Hope I’m wrong but his turning circle is a real issue, ball in hand he is nervous and when he makes a decision the opposition telegraph it and he is slow to cover the ground

If he starts holding the ball in one hand and gesticulating wildly with the other, I am going to shit my underpants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I regularly watch players off the ball at games, he runs around aimlessly most of the time which is why he’s involved so little. I think a pressure forward has been a glaring hole on the list for years, if a forward was rushing the opposition consistently and laying tackles I’d play them right now if they were going stat less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am going to watch him more closely to see if he consistently runs to the wrong places. Hell, I need a laugh.

He kicked 2 goals last week in a close loss. He is not my fav, but there was plenty worse than him against the brown 'n gold y-fronts

LVM is the luckiest footballer in the AFL.....

To be fair he kicked two important goals, and looked solid. He’s slowly improving every week. I’ve been a critic of his but at this stage he was more promising than Clarke.

To be fair he kicked two important goals, and looked solid. He’s slowly improving every week. I’ve been a critic of his but at this stage he was more promising than Clarke.
I still don't think he will ever be a genuine lock best 22, far from it, but really has not been in our worst 5 players in any of the last 5 games so he is not getting dropped yet

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's fair - who, then, would you have brought in? Genuine question. I haven't watched the VFL, but from what I have seen, all of the high half forwards that could theoretically take Vandermeer's spot/role have been below par.
West comes in for Vandermeer. Probably Bendendo. Maybe then Sanders, who hasn’t really had a good run at it yet, but seems to offer more than him too.

I don’t rate VDM in the slightest and find the sprints stat ridiculous given almost every week he is bottom 10 for pressure acts, tackles and possessions. This suggests any running he is doing is not applying any pressure and is not getting in a position to get the ball.

Add to that, that his disposal isn’t great and he is generally a terrible shot at goal, especially set shots. I don’t see him as best 23.

I also don’t like the fake tough guy act he does a lot. Getting in an opponents face when a team mate out marks them or kicks a goal on them. When he shirks a lot of contests himself.

In saying all that, sanders couldn’t come in for him based on the VFL and Bedendo didn’t do enough either.

The luckiest player to survive for me this week is Gallagher. I like the kid but he looks tired and has for 3 weeks. When you watch him he’s screaming out for a rest.

I don’t rate VDM in the slightest and find the sprints stat ridiculous given almost every week he is bottom 10 for pressure acts, tackles and possessions. This suggests any running he is doing is not applying any pressure and is not getting in a position to get the ball.

This ignores the importance of closing down space. We are at times horrendous at letting teams make quick breaks with dangerous space left open. For any of his failings Vanders is one of our best at closing down that space, which in turn forces teams to kick to a less dangerous position or to slow down their movement. Vanders doesn't get any stats for that (other than repeat sprints!).

This ignores the importance of closing down space. We are at times horrendous at letting teams make quick breaks with dangerous space left open. For any of his failings Vanders is one of our best at closing down that space, which in turn forces teams to kick to a less dangerous position or to slow down their movement. Vanders doesn't get any stats for that (other than repeat sprints!).

I don’t agree he does that in the games I have watched, admittedly most are on tv. But outside of JUH, he seems to be the first to give up on defensive transition, when it comes to defence it’s rare he uses his speed to my eye.

Not sure there is a stat out there that tells you whether his running is achieving anything

I don’t agree he does that in the games I have watched, admittedly most are on tv. But outside of JUH, he seems to be the first to give up on defensive transition, when it comes to defence it’s rare he uses his speed to my eye.

Not sure there is a stat out there that tells you whether his running is achieving anything
Continued selection is probably the only stat that indicates it's valued. You'd have to know the value and place of all the pieces in the puzzle to know the answer. We're all guessing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back