Review Cats down Blues by 13 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

So hypothetically if Stewart isn’t right this week who do we appoint as el capitano?

Duncan, Blicavs, Atkins, Henry, Guthrie (x 2), etc

Don't think we lack leadership options

I'll have to check the footage again but I can only assume at this exact moment BT and David King were no doubt talking about well Cottrell was going playing the roll player of "speccy bag".
Cottrell kicked 1 goal from the goal square cause Kolo didn’t pin the ball or turn his opponent and didn’t have much of an influence otherwise, yet King carried on all match about how he was some sort of God like role player.
Wait until sees a guy called Mark Blicavs, or should I say wait until Champion data tells him about Mark Blicavs.

Last edited:
Conway will be better at the stoppages initially but he doesnt have the tank for a full game at the G with max bashing into him. Which means after half time he will probably have to gas which will a) mean gawn could dominate and b) will force blitz into the ruck (when we want him on viney or petracca). Stanley at least has the endurance to run it out so i would keep it that way. But very soon conway will go past stanley.
How about COS in as sub and changes for Conway around 10 mins left in 3rd. Means that Conway goes at 75 % until then and then Blitz/SDK try to run off Gawn (with COS covering for SDK). Huge praise for Parf this season but could rest and bring in Clohesy or Mullen for run with Petracca (albeit risky).

He wasn't superb. He was good, not superb - and against a ruck who he matches up well on (weak in ruck contests, a good endurance machine). The other weeks this year, he has been very ordinary.

One good swallow don't make a summer.
Your adjectives, and your opinions. All good.

Others disagreed about the Bulldogs match.

Pittonet is an underrated player and clearly matches up well on Stanley.

I love Conway and know at some point he will go past Stanley, whether it's next week, later in the year or next year. But I'm not writing Rhys off just yet. It's likely they'll share the ruck duties for the remainder of the season.

As I've said, if Stanley has another match as bad as that one, it may be his last.

Hawkins has had a very slow start to the season. Heresy I know but this year Neale has looked better in his limited time than Tommy. Massive Kudos to the coaching team, we are playing such amazing team ball this year. The bottom 6 are all contributing big time and more than covering from reduced output from some of the seniors. Go cats.

I didn’t think King was as bad as Dunstall. There was a time he was literally complaining about every decision.

I think it’s more to do with them wanting a close game and the underdog to get over the line other than actually hating Geelong.
But it is frustrating

King will be on us this week. He said some good things about us during the broadcast.
And his champion data mate Hoyne is all over us now.
No surer thing then that we have our first loss this week unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Q1
Cats 0
Carlton 6 (Pittonet 2, Walsh 2, Cripps 1, TDK 1)

Q2
Cats 4 (Bowes 1, Bruhn 1, Miers 1 from 0 CBA, Stanley 1)
Carlton 4 (Kennedy 2, Cripps 1, Newman 1)

Q3
Cats 4 (Danger 2, Dempsey 1 from 0 CBA, Holmes 1)
Carlton 4 (Pittonet 3, Walsh 1)

Q4
Cats 5 (Bruhn 3, Blicavs 1, Parfitt 1)
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Cats centre bounce attendance (from a total of 37 bounces)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1

Atkins 12 in less than a half shows they wanted him back in there (i know that was easier to do but interesting)

Clearly easing guthrie back in via hbf

Q1
Cats 0
Carlton 6 (Pittonet 2, Walsh 2, Cripps 1, TDK 1)

Q2
Cats 4 (Bowes 1, Bruhn 1, Miers 1 from 0 CBA, Stanley 1)
Carlton 4 (Kennedy 2, Cripps 1, Newman 1)

Q3
Cats 4 (Danger 2, Dempsey 1 from 0 CBA, Holmes 1)
Carlton 4 (Pittonet 3, Walsh 1)

Q4
Cats 5 (Bruhn 3, Blicavs 1, Parfitt 1)
Carlton 2 (Pittonet 2)

Cats centre bounce attendance (from a total of 37 bounces)

Stanley 32
Parfitt 23
Bruhn 22
Danger 14
Bowes 13
O'Connor 13
Atkins 12
Blicavs 12
Guthrie 4
Holmes 2
Duncan 1
Blitz in there 5 times as ruck so only 7 otherwise. I would love to see him play more out of centre bounce. Just look more solid with his size against some of the monsters from opposition

Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.

Thats hard to do because what makes him one of the best in the league is his burst speed im not sure its worth trying to change it now.
hes still been dominant lately when hes played

I think you just have to play him his normal way accept he will get soft tissue injuries from here and out..if he plays on next year only play him 12-15 games max and prime him for finals.

What Carlton people and sycophantic commentators whinging about umpiring decisions, debatable marks etc and saying that Carlton could have won without those ‘gifted ‘ goals fail to take into account is that the cats took the foot off the pedal when they got so far ahead in the last quarter. (definitely another talking point there but..) if we hadn’t got that far ahead and relaxed I’m sure we would have not allowed Carlton to get the relatively easy goals which brought them back in it late.

Blitz in there 5 times as ruck so only 7 otherwise. I would love to see him play more out of centre bounce. Just look more solid with his size against some of the monsters from opposition

I think he will against melb as we will need him (might play on trac). I just think the weeks we can get away with it (see north game) we are managing him by giving him less crash and bash mid time. The big games where we need him he will go in there.

Thats the best management since we cant leave him out of games altogether as we dont have a like for like structural replacement.

So hypothetically if Stewart isn’t right this week who do we appoint as el capitano?

Hawkins if he plays.

If we feel we need to rest hawk for a week then it will be cuthrie or blicavs.

Given it was the 27th of April, I get that. You can't smash that ANZAC Day button four whole days running.

@terry_bright When did ANZAC day become ANZAC week?
It's getting ridiculous, and the cynic in me tells me it's become a cheap marketing ploy used to bulid up the coffers.

Yet it’s called Anzac round + Dockers -v- Bulldogs had a beautiful tribute, right after our game.
I’m certainly not saying our game didn’t have a tribute, broadcaster chose not to show it.

Last edited:
Yet it’s called Anzac round + Dockers -v- Bulldogs had a beautiful tribute, right after our game.
I’m certainly not saying our game didn’t have a tribute, broadcaster chose not to show it.
With all due respect, why would they? It's not going to retain viewership for nine games straight.

Yes, but I still think that he is a better ruckman at the moment than Stanley, even on very limited AFL exposure.

Do I think he'd get smacked by Gawn? Yep, they both would. But, like Luke Skywalker going to face Darth Vader even though he knew he wasn't quite ready...

... ladies, please form an orderly queue.

Yeah but ruck is different as kpd you get a lot of support (particularly from our A+ intercepting defenders). Ruck you have to go it alone and gawn is a monster. Getting smashed in your 3rd game can set a young ruck a fair way back mentally.

Obviously next year conway will have to take more as stanley will probably be retired but this year i would be protecting his development where we can and this is one week where id not risk it. He can play next week against a like for like in sweet.

Kane Cornes raised a good point this morning on the AFL website roundup video that Danger might need to stop with the sprinting/hard running side of his game, slow his pace down, and become more of an endurance runner to protect his hamstrings.
I don't think that Dangerfield knows any other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back