Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
There’s been a bit of talk amongst the current active threads here but I felt it warranted discussion.

Firstly, it’s a debatable issue as to whether Joel retires ahead of 22 so that would render this moot but still..

Joel has been quite simply one of the greatest team men to pull on the hoops mark my word.

There’s been a few times throughout this season and even prior ones where Joel has shown what I would consider to be the frustrations of longevity. Perhaps it’s borne of things not going perfectly as they did in the first half of his career, or it’s just age and related to his body, who would know besides Joel and his closest?

The display around the 50m penalty on Friday night had me genuinely wondering about where Joel’s head is at - we have seen over time other captains relinquish the ultimate responsibility so they can focus on the quality of their own individual game and I have to wonder now if this might be the right time to make this kind of move?

If yes, who is his replacement?

I think most would nominate Tom Stewart.

Could it be Hawk?
Mitch?
Guth?
Even Henry with his continuous improvement could become a real present great of our club.

I dare say Blitz.

There’s been a bit of talk amongst the current active threads here but I felt it warranted discussion.

Firstly, it’s a debatable issue as to whether Joel retires ahead of 22 so that would render this moot but still..

Joel has been quite simply one of the greatest team men to pull on the hoops mark my word.

There’s been a few times throughout this season and even prior ones where Joel has shown what I would consider to be the frustrations of longevity. Perhaps it’s borne of things not going perfectly as they did in the first half of his career, or it’s just age and related to his body, who would know besides Joel and his closest?

The display around the 50m penalty on Friday night had me genuinely wondering about where Joel’s head is at - we have seen over time other captains relinquish the ultimate responsibility so they can focus on the quality of their own individual game and I have to wonder now if this might be the right time to make this kind of move?

Could it be Hawk?
Mitch?
Guth?
Even Henry with his continuous improvement could become a real present great of our club.

I dare say Blitz.

You had me on board until I saw this.

Could it be Hawk?
Mitch?
Guth?

I dare say Blitz.
His perfectly justified display of anger over the 50m was because he was - quite rightly - absolutely ropeable at the outrageous failure of the umpire to give him a free kick for the illegal tackle behind play by the Melbourne "shepherder" in the first place.

Yes it would have to be Stewart. I don’t know Blicavs personally, but on-field he isn’t the most intelligent footballer going around, and he’s also 31 in March.

Outside of Stewart we might need to get someone from the outside in the next couple of years as I don’t see the right personality types on our list, or at least none who have got senior games yet.

His perfectly justified display of anger over the 50m was because he was - quite rightly - absolutely ropeable at the outrageous failure of the umpire to give him a free kick for the illegal tackle behind play by the Melbourne "shepherder" in the first place.

And yet he kept going on about the MELB player taking a dive, not that he was tackled behind play

There’s nothing wrong being ropeable. End it there though.

jake Lever’s little word to his teammate after the Miers free kick - that was leadership.

I love Joel but tye fact that his body can’t do what he wants it to do is impacting his leadership and his demeanour

Could it be Hawk?
Mitch?
Guth?

I dare say Blitz.
Not Blitz.

The display around the 50m penalty on Friday night had me genuinely wondering about where Joel’s head is at
I have read through a lot of the posts about Friday night and haven’t bothered to post anything as I wouldn’t be adding much to what I agree with. But Selwood’s display was super disappointing from a captain. Swearing at the umpire said a lot. The cold hard reality is that he is finished as a player - the game has gone well past him. He is clinging on my his finger nails. This is a bitter pill to swallow for many but it’s true. It happens. His reaction to the Langdon “dive” was borne out of pure frustration.

I have read through a lot of the posts about Friday night and haven’t bothered to post anything as I wouldn’t be adding much to what I agree with. But Selwood’s display was super disappointing from a captain. Swearing at the umpire said a lot. The cold hard reality is that he is finished as a player - the game has gone well past him. He is clinging on my his finger nails. This is a bitter pill to swallow for many but it’s true. It happens. His reaction to the Langdon “dive” was borne out of pure frustration.

Did a similar thing in a final against Melbourne a few years ago.

I love Joel Selwood, but I thought he should have transitioned out of the captaincy last year at the latest.

He probably gets marked too hard by his own lofty standards
I’d love if he could be morphed into something else for one more year but as good as he is he’s a one trick Pony

Having said that he is the heart and soul of the club, if he goes around again he is definitely captain, get the record, maybe miss 1 game a month and if he comes to an absolute grinding halt we address it mid year and he pulls up stumps

2023 is the winds of change and Stewart takes over

but by mid 2022 we know where everything is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did a similar thing in a final against Melbourne a few years ago.

I love Joel Selwood, but I thought he should have transitioned out of the captaincy last year at the latest.

I had no problem allowing him to break a couple of club records in 2021 but the time is now right for him to relinquish the captancy. His record will always remain legendary. The only thing remaining is for him as captain, to hold out for a premiership and that is now a very remote possibility. Give it to Stewart.

I think it’s going to be Joel for one more season, then it will be a change of Captain & Coach for 2023.....It’s clear with the contracts we’ve got in place it will remain status quo for next season. But post 2022 I foresee big changes, could well be as many as 5-6 retirees...

It's an interesting question. Very hard to say from the outside who would have the right personality and standing within the club to be captain. Players who seem to me (at a guess) to have what it takes:
Hawkins - so respected and team-oriented. May thrive with more responsibilty.
Tuohy - a players captain, honest but approachable, can lift spirits and be courageous too.
Guthrie - an experienced head. He's at his best when he direct things onfield.
Atkins - the epitome of a selfless clubman.

It's hard to see anyone else as captain, but if Joel thinks it will help him over the last few years of his career to take the pressure off and focus on his body then maybe it's the right thing to do.

Stewart is the clear option to take over after Joel.

It's hard to see anyone else as captain, but if Joel thinks it will help him over the last few years of his career to take the pressure off and focus on his body then maybe it's the right thing to do.

Stewart is the clear option to take over after Joel.

This.... :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back