Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brazil’s Qualifiers Record
(since the current format was established)

W-D-L
h, 7-2-0
a, 2-1-6
h, 7-2-0
a, 2-5-2
h, 5-4-0
a, 4-3-2
h, 8-1-0
a, 4-4-1
h, 3-0-0
a, 3-0-0

Total:
h, 30-9-0
a, 15-13-11

Copa America 2021 - Quarterfinals

BRA-CHI — PER-PAR

ARG-ECU — URU-COL​
I assume games have been, and will be played with no crowds.

GremioPower in the #bringbackthebars thread PA88 mentioned he met some Gremio supporters in Adelaide.

This article from the Sydney Morning Herald 4 years ago was written by Mike Cockerill about 3 or 4 months before he passed away and talks about Gremio's and Brasilian soccer's influence in Oz. He was Australia's leading print journalist for the world game the last 15-20 years before he passed away. He was only 56. Like Johnny Warren and Les Murray he was an evangelist for the game in Australia and was a big fan of Brasilian football and culture and Latin American football and culture.

Are you aware of Bobo who came to Oz from Gremio? He came here in 2016 and had 2 seasons with Sydney FC was their marquee signing and star striker, they won the championship in his first 2 seasons and the grand final in his first year, then went to Europe and returned to Sydney FC last September and helped them get to 2nd in the championship season, but they lost the grand final to Melbourne City ( part of the City Football group out of Abu Dhabi) 10 days ago.

Bobo scores the goal which should deliver Sydney FC their first silverware after seven barren years, and I'm thinking, once again: "Maybe this will finally make some people see sense." Maybe.

It's 11 goals now from the Brazilian, the Sky Blues marquee player. He's not flashy, but he's starting to do the business. Graham Arnold is entitled to feel vindicated. Bobo's CV always suggested it was a move which could work, and the club backed the coach by putting enough money into the deal to prise him away from the bench at Gremio. And that's where the crux of this story lies.

Brazil remains the land of opportunity for Australian football. Has been for decades, ever since Agenor Muniz and four Vasco da Gama teammates arrived here in 1971 as a bulk purchase by Sydney City. Within a year, a local social club, the "Canarinhos", was formed to embrace the arrivals. Muniz went on to play 20 times for the Socceroos.
Forty-five years later, the "Canarinhos" are still gathering each Sunday morning for their scratch game, their precious pelada, on field No.4 at Centennial Park – long since officially re-named "Brazilian Field". That's how long there's been a football connection between the two countries. A connection championed passionately by the late Johnny Warren, who as usual saw beyond the horizon. Build meaningful football ties between the two countries, and it's Australia which has the most to benefit. It's a message which still largely falls on deaf ears.

Heaven sent: Bobo represents an opportunity for Australia to create closer football ties with Brazil.

Heaven sent: Bobo represents an opportunity for Australia to create closer football ties with Brazil.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

True enough, we've had more Brazilians (40) in the A-League than any other foreigners. But it's been ad hoc, and opportunistic. No structure. No strategy. No planning. No surprise, it's a process which hasn't come even close to realising its enormous potential.
The great Brazilian export is not sugar, or coffee, or palm oil. It's footballers. No country sends more players overseas. Latest estimates suggest around 1100 professionals leave Brazil every year. At last count they were playing in 53 countries. There are 16 of them in Azerbaijan. They're in countries like Moldova, Faroe Islands, Israel and Kazakhstan. Have boots, will travel. The Brazilian professional game – even with its four national divisions and 26 state championships – can accommodate only a fraction of its talent. A fraction. So how to capitalise?

Bobo is one way to do it. Buy at the top, not the bottom. Minimise the risk. He's Sydney FC's second Brazilian marquee. Juninho was the first, but his spell was destroyed by injury. Historically, Romario remains the A-League's biggest Brazilian star, playing four times for Adelaide United as a guest player in 2006. On the field, the value was questionable. John Kosmina, his coach at the time, recently suggested he played "like a busted arse".
Off the field, though, the publicity generated by Juninho and Romario back in Brazil helped change perceptions. So "Kossie" took one for the team. Australia, as a destination, was on the map. The fact that Bobo spoke to Juninho at length before joining the Sky Blues proves it.

But, again, there's no foundation. No platform. For years Warren pleaded with the football bosses to sign a Memorandum Of Understanding with the Brazilian federation, the CBF. Coaching exchanges, club tours, tournaments, player exchanges. Nada. The FFA recently signed an MOU with Japan. Good move. Guess who Japan's closest football ally is? The one which has been the foundation stone for their huge progress over the last 25 years? Brazil. That's the inner circle Australia needs to be in. Forget Europe. This is where, in a football sense, the future is.

For Sydney FC, Bobo could, and should, become a catalyst for something just as meaningful. Sky Blues chairman Scott Barlow was approached a few years ago about forming a sister club relationship with Gremio. The Imortals have an official consul based in Sydney, Valter de Oliveira. I confess, "Chicao" is a close mate of mine. Born and raised in Porto Alegre, he can open doors at Gremio. He once tried to establish something similar with Marconi Stallions when they were the benchmark club in the NSL – another club which, like Sydney FC and Gremio, plays in sky blue.

Gremio are a big club with a big modern stadium, and a hugely professional approach. European by every measure except location. The benefits for Sydney FC of forming a partnership are blindingly obvious. Every year, Gremio have to release a clutch of 20-year-olds who haven't quite made the cut. Rich pickings? Gold dust, I'd say.

If it's good enough for one of Japan's most successful clubs, Kawasaki Frontale, to be partnered with Gremio, surely it's got to be good enough for the Sky Blues. What's happened? Nada. Again. In more ways than his goals, Bobo's arrival – from Gremio – is heaven-sent.

Here are some Sydney based fans - Sydney has Australia's biggest Brazilian community, partly driven by football migration over the years and now by education. Maybe you can communicate with them and ask if there is a group in Adelaide.

I’ve found a couple of YouTube videos on Grêmio’s supporters from Sydney (both seem to be from 2017):

I don’t remember Bobo. He played while I was in the US. It wasn’t a particular great moment in Grêmio’s history, and he was depth. But I agree with the article. I think the argument works both ways, even.

I left Sydney in 2010 and the 2011 census said there were 15,000 Brazilian born people in Oz and another 12,000 claimed Brazilian ancestry. I knew a few Brazilian's in Sydney and they had a small, but very visible community in Sydney because of their influence on soccer in Sydney, the carnivale dancers and performers and that they had a presence at the beaches. My old flat mate had her 30th birthday at the big Brasilian club on Parramatta Road a couple of kms from the Central Business District. It was a great night. We had to learn to dance the samba.

In 2020 there were 52,000 Brazilian born people living in Oz. That large increase has been students as well as permanent immigration but Sydney and close to Sydney is where a bit more than half the Brazilian's in Oz live. So I missed seeing the big growth in the community there, but am well aware of it.

My mate The Airport Economist who worked for federal government's trade body - Austrade, until late 2011, visited Brazil several time with work, but once he was made a visiting fellow at Uni of NSW, he made annual trips to Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Colombia with the University to promote them and attract students. He travelled to Brazil in early 2016 and I introduced him to diegodcg. I know his university and a couple of others in Sydney have attracted large number of Brazilians to their campuses.

That Gremio supporters march at the Opera House in 2017 was pretty impressive. I think I know the bar the supporters are drinking at watching Gremio play on the big screens in the first video. It looks like the PJ O'Brien's pub in the heart of Sydney's Central Business district. They had lots of international sports on and lots of international soccer on the big screens and are in a a great location, a short walk from 2 train stations.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perdió un gol imperdible en el final sólo para esperanzarme, ¡¡¡ese hi€£%de$/%}{rra!!! 😒
That missed opportunity in the final minutes was shocking. He should've iced the game.

But anyway, first international tournament win for Argentina since 1993. We'll add the World cup next year!

Take your anger out on your idiot President, Brazilians.
What does that have to do with anything?

[RANT]For your information, there is something way worse than the Brazilian government: the Brazilian opposition. So, no matter what, we would be screwed. At least, we are not as rooted as we would have been with a different government. So, there is that.[/RANT]

I can talk about Politics in the Politics thread. No problem. Let’s not taint soccer here with that.

But anyway, first international tournament win for Argentina since 1993.
Basically a retribution for 2004, that we shouldn’t have won, but got a goal in the last second of the Final.

Have only seen the 90 second highlights for the news. Must have been weird playing the game in an empty stadium when the Euro finals will be full.

At least Messi now has 1 international title to end his career.

Have only seen the 90 second highlights for the news. Must have been weird playing the game in an empty stadium when the Euro finals will be full.

At least Messi now has 1 international title to end his career.
There was very limited crowd, but there were supporters behind both goals.

There was very limited crowd, but there were supporters behind both goals.
I saw another replay and noticed a small spread out crowd behind Argentina's goal, nobody on the wings.

this highlights package shows a few hundred people behind each end and maybe 2,000 people on the camera side wing with nobody on the outer wing. Shows the Argies had the better chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back