Opinion Foodie Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this thread. Here are some of my favourites as a contractor constantly on the road

Yiros - Vasilli Taverna
Beef Burger - Stax
Chicken burger - St Peterā€™s Bakehouse west thebby
Chips - Cheeky chook
Pizza - Becks bakehouse
Vietnamese roll - Kimā€™s Asian Cuisine
Rice bowl - Rolly Poly
AB - Skara Greek food
Snitty pack - Captain chicken seafood
Drunk delivery feed - Hanson Pizza

Love this thread. Here are some of my favourites as a contractor constantly on the road

Yiros - Vasilli Taverna
Beef Burger - Stax
Chicken burger - St Peterā€™s Bakehouse west thebby
Chips - Cheeky chook
Pizza - Becks bakehouse
Vietnamese roll - Kimā€™s Asian Cuisine
Rice bowl - Rolly Poly
AB - Skara Greek food
Snitty pack - Captain chicken seafood
Drunk delivery feed - Hanson Pizza

Vasili's is fantastic.

Coopers Alehouse in the city do excellent steaks. I get the eye fillet, not cheap but premium quality. Apparently the schnitzels and pizzas are great too.

I have tried Bahn Mi (Vietnamese rolls) from about 10 places all around suburban Adelaide and numerous places interstate, and nothing comes close to the place at Virginia. Simply called Vietnamese Bread Roll. Excellent quality, fresh produce. I recommend the combination roll with coriander and extra chilli. The steamed dim sims are great too. On the outside of Virginia shopping centre, just north of the entrance on Old Port Wakefield road. Park in the main woolies carpark. Cash only, 7am-230pm Mon-Sat.

Chicken and chips from Springbank Chicken and Seafood, 384 Waterloo Corner road, Burton.
Haven't been there for a while, but a good mate of mine goes there regularly. The chicken is some of the nicest I've eaten. The chips are premium, salads are great. Top service too.

20211029_195202.jpg

Coopers Alehouse, corner of Pulteney and Carrington streets, CBD

MSA Eye Fillet. Comes with red wine jus, garlic butter coin and chips. But I prefer mash, and recommend mash over chips.

Toasted sandwiches. Let me just say I love them and when done exactly how the eater likes them done, they rock.

So for a bit of foggy morning controversy here goes.

Try ham and cheese, but with a twist. Moderately aged Cheddar, Parmesan and Swiss/Gouda/Havarti. 2 varieties of cheese minimum. Little bit of cracked black pepper.

Or the same, with 1 variety of cheese, preferably aged Cheddar or good quality Parmesan, or more if you like. But one seems to work better. Then add very finely chopped raw onion and finely chopped pineapple. Little bit of sweet chili sauce.

Delicious.

And potentially controversial:devil:
Surely the point of a toasted sandwich is not to make this much of an effort.

Surely the point of a toasted sandwich is not to make this much of an effort.

Totally disagree. Small amount of effort can make simple things more enjoyable. Only takes a few minutes to knock one up, extra couple minutes takes it from 'yeah that filled the hole in my guts' to 'that was tasty for a toasty, worth a couple minutes of effort' IMHO

Understand if your hangry, you gotta just get something in your guts

Last edited:
Toasted sandwiches. Let me just say I love them and when done exactly how the eater likes them done, they rock.

So for a bit of foggy morning controversy here goes.

Try ham and cheese, but with a twist. Moderately aged Cheddar, Parmesan and Swiss/Gouda/Havarti. 2 varieties of cheese minimum. Little bit of cracked black pepper.

Or the same, with 1 variety of cheese, preferably aged Cheddar or good quality Parmesan, or more if you like. But one seems to work better. Then add very finely chopped raw onion and finely chopped pineapple. Little bit of sweet chili sauce.

Delicious.

And potentially controversial:devil:
Dunno about this pineapple business, but a bit of finely chopped Spanish onion on a toastie is bloody beautiful.

Most have probably seen this before, but for those who haven't, toastie tip: mayo on the outside instead of butter.

View attachment 1445698

Coopers Alehouse, corner of Pulteney and Carrington streets, CBD

MSA Eye Fillet. Comes with red wine jus, garlic butter coin and chips. But I prefer mash, and recommend mash over chips.

What did you have for mains?

P.S Hard to go past Goucho's for steak in Adelaide. The charred brocolli is a must for sides too.

P.S Hard to go past Goucho's for steak in Adelaide. The charred brocolli is a must for sides too.

I hear what you are saying. The steak does look small. It's 250 grams. But as a good mate of mine would say 'It's just the right amount'
It comes out on a big plate, looks small, I've usually had at least 10 pints of Sparkling or Vintage and often a dozen or three oysters before eating and I have a fair appetite. I often look at it and think it's too small but it hits the spot and leaves room for another 10 pints.

edit 250 gram MSA eye fillet

Last edited:

Haven't been to Gaucho's for a while. Good to know it's still premium.
Hereford Beefstouw, Hutt street was next on the list.
Often look at other places, but nearly always seem to end up at the Alehouse

Who doesn't love searing the flesh away from their palate?

There is nothing worse than looking forward to a nice toastie that you can comfortably hold in your hands only to find after biting into it that the tomato inside it has rendered it hotter than the surface of the sun and you can now no longer taste or enjoy the rest of it.

Ya'll need to learn how to cook

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meat and Wine Co on Currie St would probably have it beat, probably the best steak I've ever had.

All must kneel before Mayura Station Wagyu.

Unknown-3_0d73cb7f-249a-4945-b1a2-14b22b6661fd_1000x1000.jpg

Went to Beer'n'BBQ Festival on the weekend.
Not a bad event, could have been laid out/set up a bit better, but overall not bad.
Got really drunk. Got a bit kampaignery. Had a great time. Bit average today.

No Beard Required. Got the loaded fries early for some gut lining. 6 of us at the table. Decent quality, very nice sauce, had chunks of brisket. Very tasty overall, not bad value.

Got some buffalo wings, can't remember the name of the place. Excellent quality. Moist chicken, sticky sauce, spicy. Good value 10 for $15 i think.

Hoy Pinoy- Filipino street food. Very nice overall. Got a boodle (meat) plate sausages, wings, other random 'meat'. Great sauces, nice bit of salad. The pineapple chilli sauce is great. Very tasty, but overpriced for a plate at $45.
Had some chicken skewers, very nice. Moist chicken, great smoky flavour and not overcooked. Good value, but a little pricey.
Made up for that as we kept going back for them and towards the end of the day I staggered over, got a combination smile/look of slight mistrust then she laughed and said 'you and your friends very hungry' I was at least 15 - 20 beers in by then so I just said something which came out like rooshooter with 2 mouthguards, 3 packets of chewies and some wasps in his mouth. She gave me at least 10 for free. Had bought bottles of hot sauce, so they were deployed very messily. Earlier in the day, up to beer 15 ish, I had been eating them sensibly and relishing the flavour and moistness of the chicken. In the end pouring hot sauce all over the joint, bringing skewer up to gob, biting down and just sliding stick out and inhaling chicken. Go Kaptain Kampaigner.

Overall it was a good day out. I think.

20220731_150323.jpg

Went for trip last week visiting. On the way back to Adelaide, stopped at Harry's Homemade Fine Foods on the Highway just north of Port Pirie. They have a great selection of products - sauces, jams, seafood, fruit, vegetables etc.

The Hot Chilli Chutney is very nice. Chunky, fruity, very much a homemade style product, however only a bit spicy. I wish I bought more than one.

20220731_150615.jpg

Another purchase from Harry's

Great flavour, medium heat. Get's the mouth watering, which makes it great with steak/BBQ meat

20220803_161854.jpg

Got a packet of these from the super-dooper-market

Actually got a little bit of zing, nothing ridiculous, but spicy which is unusual for many brands/products

Bit dry and I tried a couple types of dip with them

Overall verdict - spicy, good but not great

The criterion (in Gawler) was bloody yum the other night... Beef snitz and chips were really good...

Me and the Mrs went there... Well because we had never been and will go back šŸ¤¤

I like steak but I don't go gaga like a lot of people for it.

Went to Meat and Wine Co the other night, I wasn't paying, but the 350 gram Rib Eye was $87. All you got as an accompaniment was a small bowl of chips.
It was good. But not $87 good. I eat steak at home maybe once a fortnight, so I'm not against it, but I'll rarely (no pun intended) order it if I'm out. Its kind of over rated.

I like steak but I don't go gaga like a lot of people for it.

Went to Meat and Wine Co the other night, I wasn't paying, but the 350 gram Rib Eye was $87. All you got as an accompaniment was a small bowl of chips.
It was good. But not $87 good. I eat steak at home maybe once a fortnight, so I'm not against it, but I'll rarely (no pun intended) order it if I'm out. Its kind of over rated.

Ordering steak out is madness. I had a 60-Day Dry Aged T-Bone tonight at home and it cost me $25 ($80/kg). If you're a true steak lover you can most likely nail it at home better than most restaurants anyway.

Nowadays I limit eating out to foods I can't cook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back