Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got this email re tickets for this game in June during the bye rounds and why MCG is freer than normal but not completely.

Brazil and Argentina return Down Under for the historic Superclásico clash at the MCG!

Football fans get ready to witness the astonishing skills of football giants Brazil and Argentina live when the two teams face off for Superclásico 2022 this June.

This is a rare opportunity for sports fans to see the FIFA world ranked number 1 and 4 teams in action as they prepare for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Both teams are expected to field their strongest teams for this crucial global tournament preparation period.

The Superclásico is a fiercely contested encounter between these two storied rivals.

sfx276857.jpg

GremioPower did the last time they played at the MCG get much coverage in Brazil and South America?? You would have joined Big footy 2 or 3 weeks before the last one.

Football superstars like Lionel Messi and Neymar are expected to take the field at the MCG in June for a pre-World Cup hitout between Argentina and Brazil, according to the Victorian government.

Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula confirmed the South American nations would play the next instalment of their Superclásico rivalry in Melbourne on June 11.Tickets are set to go on sale on Thursday, with the state government all but promising the game's biggest players will be there.

Brazil and Argentina played at the MCG in 2017, with Argentina winning 1-0 in front of a near-full house of 95,569 fans.

Think they were both paid $5mil USD each last time.

Previous biggest soccer crowds at MCG. First soccer game was there in 1912 Victoria vs Tasmania. Think this article was written before the 2017 Superclasico, or has missed that crowd.

The official record crowd for an MCG soccer match is 99,382 on July 24, 2015 when Manchester City took on Real Madrid as the International Champions Cup came to Australia. This surpassed the previous record of 95,446 on July 24, 2013 when English Premier League club Liverpool visited Australia for the first time to take on Melbourne Victory in a friendly.

However, approximately 104,700 people witnessed the 1956 Olympic Games Football Final between USSR and Yugoslavia, just hours before the Closing Ceremony commenced. How many of them attended the MCG purely to watch the sporting contest before the ceremony is a matter of conjecture.

The MCG also attracted a crowd of 95,103 on May 25, 2006 when the Australian team took on European champions Greece before departing for the FIFA World Cup. [This was the biggest country v country crowd until the 2017 Superclasico match]

In 2000, the MCG hosted a number of matches in the Olympic football tournament, including an Australia-Italy group match that drew 93,225 fans through the turnstiles. The MCG also hosted an Olympic quarter final and semi final.

Some of the most famous soccer teams in the world have graced the MCG turf, including Manchester United (1999), Brazil (1999), France (2001), Greece (2006), Argentina (2007) and Liverpool (2013).

Biggest 4 crowds at MCG (and in Australia) since 2003.

Ticket Prices and where you can buy them. The grey area is available only for MCC members to buy.

Last edited:
2017 game

I’m not rewatching that.

I’ve posted on it:
AC9B07CE-3DA9-4954-B4F9-4FA9A2114CCD.jpeg

Just got this email re tickets for this game in June during the bye rounds and why MCG is freer than normal but not completely.

Brazil and Argentina return Down Under for the historic Superclásico clash at the MCG!

Football fans get ready to witness the astonishing skills of football giants Brazil and Argentina live when the two teams face off for Superclásico 2022 this June.

This is a rare opportunity for sports fans to see the FIFA world ranked number 1 and 4 teams in action as they prepare for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Both teams are expected to field their strongest teams for this crucial global tournament preparation period.

The Superclásico is a fiercely contested encounter between these two storied rivals.

sfx276857.jpg

GremioPower did the last time they played at the MCG get much coverage in Brazil and South America?? You would have joined Big footy 2 or 3 weeks before the last one.

Football superstars like Lionel Messi and Neymar are expected to take the field at the MCG in June for a pre-World Cup hitout between Argentina and Brazil, according to the Victorian government.

Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula confirmed the South American nations would play the next instalment of their Superclásico rivalry in Melbourne on June 11.Tickets are set to go on sale on Thursday, with the state government all but promising the game's biggest players will be there.

Brazil and Argentina played at the MCG in 2017, with Argentina winning 1-0 in front of a near-full house of 95,569 fans.

Think they were both paid $5mil USD each last time.

Previous biggest soccer crowds at MCG. First soccer game was there in 1912 Victoria vs Tasmania. Think this article was written before the 2017 Superclasico, or has missed that crowd.

The official record crowd for an MCG soccer match is 99,382 on July 24, 2015 when Manchester City took on Real Madrid as the International Champions Cup came to Australia. This surpassed the previous record of 95,446 on July 24, 2013 when English Premier League club Liverpool visited Australia for the first time to take on Melbourne Victory in a friendly.

However, approximately 104,700 people witnessed the 1956 Olympic Games Football Final between USSR and Yugoslavia, just hours before the Closing Ceremony commenced. How many of them attended the MCG purely to watch the sporting contest before the ceremony is a matter of conjecture.

The MCG also attracted a crowd of 95,103 on May 25, 2006 when the Australian team took on European champions Greece before departing for the FIFA World Cup. [This was the biggest country v country crowd until the 2017 Superclasico match]

In 2000, the MCG hosted a number of matches in the Olympic football tournament, including an Australia-Italy group match that drew 93,225 fans through the turnstiles. The MCG also hosted an Olympic quarter final and semi final.

Some of the most famous soccer teams in the world have graced the MCG turf, including Manchester United (1999), Brazil (1999), France (2001), Greece (2006), Argentina (2007) and Liverpool (2013).

Biggest 4 crowds at MCG (and in Australia) since 2003.

Ticket Prices and where you can buy them. The grey area is available only for MCC members to buy.

There’s no better game in the world of soccer.

It’s always a big deal. In a World Cup year, it is even more important. Australians are lucky in hosting the match.

I hope we can win this time.

Libertadores 2022

My best guess for the Brasilian teams mentioned - without looking it up

PAR - ??????
FOR - Fortaleza
PAL - Palmares ............... spelling that's the cycling phrase for list of races won by a rider, I know the team is spelt differently
MIN - Athletico Minerio I know them because they are one of the many black and white teams in Serie A
FLA - Flamengo
COR - Corinthians

What's it like watching Gremio in Serie B this year?? Like watching Port in 2011 or 2012 or 2016 or 2019 or was that more last year for you as a Gremio supporter watching them get relegated.

I assume you got a lot of grief from Internacional fans last year and its continued on this year.

My best guess for the Brasilian teams mentioned - without looking it up

PAR - ??????
FOR - Fortaleza
PAL - Palmares ............... spelling that's the cycling phrase for list of races won by a rider, I know the team is spelt differently
MIN - Athletico Minerio I know them because they are one of the many black and white teams in Serie A
FLA - Flamengo
COR - Corinthians

PAR - Athletico Paranaense (Curitiba)
FOR - Fortaleza (Fortaleza)
PAL - Palmeiras (Sao Paulo)
Palmeiras means Palm Trees.
MIN - Atlético Mineiro (Belo Horizonte)
FLA - Flamengo (Rio de Janeiro)
COR - Corinthians (Sao Paulo)

What's it like watching Gremio in Serie B this year?? Like watching Port in 2011 or 2012 or 2016 or 2019 or was that more last year for you as a Gremio supporter watching them get relegated.

I assume you got a lot of grief from Internacional fans last year and its continued on this year.

The team has been awful, but the opposition is worse. So, somehow, we are in the promotion zone (Top-4).

The worst has been the board. They have no idea how we got where we are nor how can we get out of it. There were too many things going wrong that were hidden behind the success.

It’s our third relegation, and we kept the state title. Inter wasn’t going well. So, we were ok.

The worst has been the board. They have no idea how we got where we are nor how can we get out of it. There were too many things going wrong that were hidden behind the success.
Sounds familiar.

GremioPower you probably wont like this but two or three weeks ago on twitter I saw this free kick goal by Roberto Carlos against Gremio in 1995..

But then again he could do anything.

GremioPower you probably wont like this but two or three weeks ago on twitter I saw this free kick goal by Roberto Carlos against Gremio in 1995..

But then again he could do anything.

It was in 1995. First game of Copa Libertadores. We lost, 3x2, but the feeling was that maybe we had a team capable of beating Palmeiras.

We’ve eliminated them both in Copa Libertadores and Brazil’s Cup. We won the Libertadores. There were 7 games between the clubs that year.

Palmeiras 3x2 Grêmio
Grêmio 0x0 Palmeiras - Libertadores GS

Grêmio 1x1 Palmeiras
Palmeiras 2x2 Grêmio - Brazil’s Cup R16

Grêmio 5x0 Palmeiras
Palmeiras 5x1 Grêmio - Libertadores QF

Palmeiras 3x0 Grêmio - Brazilian league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back