Roast Big Game Underperformers

Remove this Banner Ad

He is a good coach, but he is not a great coach. Hence the difference. He has had a premiership list on two occasions imo. 2020 and 2014 and both years he failed because of his coaching decisions, selection and game plan.

Want a coach who will get you between 4th-9th go for Kenny. That’s the best you will get
he is not a good coach. any dumb campaigner who knows anything about football, could coach this list to win better than 50% of these games

Until we stop recruiting nice flakey flanker types we are stuffed. Until we stop developing blokes into nice flakey flanker types we are stuffed.

The head coach was a nice flakey flanker type player. His 3 assistants weren't

On First Crack they were pretty unanimous in their evaluation of Port being reliable to beat teams around and below their level, but lose when playing any team above.

Kingy referred to Aliir and Rat as the big boppers, they're going to have reasonably solid seasons in defence but play a bad 10 mins in a final and lose it.

As Kingy last year said us and Ken are as fake as a $2 bill.

There's been no accountability from the top down for how many years? That flows down. Also, the game wasn't lost at half time. Like I said in the game day thread, it sat squarely with the coaching staff at that point to address the structure (with changes), the effort or the belief (by motivating). But we basically got no response. We heard Treadrea say that the coaches were trying to make change and trying to get the message out there? What's the breakdown then? You don't just have every player ignore the messages from the coaching panel because of their own individual issues.... Clearly there's an issue with the delivery, or the person delivering it.

It might be easier to list who we trust in a big final.

JHF (still has to find more consistently but I'm confident it's coming)

Burgoyne, shown a lot in little time.

BZT looks good in a crisis at Port.

Butters, though after last years finals and this game he has a ?

Lord, shown something already for a young man.

SPP out of form at the moment but you know what you get.

Drew, Mr reliable.

Georgiades showed good signs on the weekend but I wouldn't put him their yet.

That's not many.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It might be easier to list who we trust in a big final.

JHF (still has to find more consistently but I'm confident it's coming)

Burgoyne, shown a lot in little time.

BZT looks good in a crisis at Port.

Butters, though after last years finals and this game he has a ?

Lord, shown something already for a young man.

SPP out of form at the moment but you know what you get.

Drew, Mr reliable.

Georgiades showed good signs on the weekend but I wouldn't put him their yet.

That's not many.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Butters definitely off the list. His effort doesn't drop away like Rozee but his skill level drops off massively and he turns into a midfield Pittard.

SPP has never been a big game player.

Too many players get the excuse of being “confidence players”. “Confidence players” don’t win flags.
They might if they had a coach who was any good at instilling confidence. Peak John Cahill or Fos Williams could absolutely coach a team of 'confidence players' to a flag.

They might if they had a coach who was any good at instilling confidence. Peak John Cahill or Fos Williams could absolutely coach a team of 'confidence players' to a flag.
Finals are scary
Someone has to lose
I don’t want to have to play Melbourne next week
We have to be at our best to compete
Wouldn’t change a thing
We have a long way to go to be as good as a club that was well behind us when I took over 12 years ago

I can’t understand why our blokes don’t believe they’re good enough 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, we might have to wait until Hinkley's gone and we have a coach that knows what they are doing to find out who can and cannot play at the business end of the season.

Let me put it this way. I don't know the Collingwood players that well but I'm sure before McRae rocked up that there were a fair whack of their players who disappointed on the big stages but after McRae implemented his brand of footy those players are now considered big game performers.

Butters definitely off the list. His effort doesn't drop away like Rozee but his skill level drops off massively and he turns into a midfield Pittard.

SPP has never been a big game player.
Butters has been a bit disappointing on the big stage but he is young and on the weekend one of the only reasons we bolted away in the first quarter against Collingwood. He had 15 possies to quarter time.

What would you think of Butters with a good coach and a great gameplan?

Do you reckon he could rise to the occasion with Hardwick as his coach or McRae?

Thinking outside the box here, in lieu of us actually sacking the coach... Is there any chance that we actually build ourselves up TOO MUCH for big games? Do we change the way we play or focus too much on the inside / physical contest? I only say this because it's almost unbelievable at this point that we can't get this right. We've had a lot of list turnover and change in the supporting coaches... I'm just questioning it because if something is so bleedingly obvious from the outside, how could it not be obvious to those on the inside.

We've been horrible in big games since before most of these players were even on our list. What's the trend? I'm not saying these guys haven't failed, but why? You can't have the same problem over a number of list turnovers, the root cause here is not those players. Whether its the coach himself or the level of accountability or whatever it is, it's bigger than these players.
Let's be real honest the constant variable is Koch and hinkley. Let's get real honest.

Watching the players fumble and bumble their way through the Collingwood onslaught was embarrassing. Players were running scared what a scam not one player except JHF stood up
Under the spotlight We haven't elevated ourselves out of becoming the laughing stock of the afl since our 119 point mutilation by Geelong in 2007. Koch and hinkley are destroying this club, players do not know what to do they have become as brain dead as the coach. Just go hinkley just go.

Thinking outside the box here, in lieu of us actually sacking the coach... Is there any chance that we actually build ourselves up TOO MUCH for big games? Do we change the way we play or focus too much on the inside / physical contest? I only say this because it's almost unbelievable at this point that we can't get this right. We've had a lot of list turnover and change in the supporting coaches... I'm just questioning it because if something is so bleedingly obvious from the outside, how could it not be obvious to those on the inside.
It's the other way imo. Before every big game Hinkley publicly talks up the opposition or how he's not looking forward to facing a certain opponent. He did it the week before we played Melbourne when he was asked if he was looking forward to his team testing themselves against Melbourne and Hinkley answered I'm not looking forward to it or words to that effect.

He does it all the time when we play good sides. Talks them up and says he isn't looking forward to playing the good sides and whatever else. That's got to have an effect on his playing group be it before the game or when the going gets tough as they fold as soon as the heat comes. It happened on the weekend when Collingwood made their move and they had no idea what to do.

Hinkley has made a rod for his own back this year. He went out and said we were missing pieces last year, the club got him those pieces but the same issues remain. When he's faced with quality opposition his gameplan fails, and he can't halt momentum in the coaches box. Hinkley coaches scared and it flows onto the playing group. Nothing will convince me otherwise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back