Roast Big Game Underperformers

Remove this Banner Ad

It's the other way imo. Before every big game Hinkley publicly talks up the opposition or how he's not looking forward to facing a certain opponent. He did it the week before we played Melbourne when he was asked if he was looking forward to his team testing themselves against Melbourne and Hinkley answered I'm not looking forward to it or words to that effect.

This is the obvious thing I was referring to. Just trying to look at it from another perspective and see if it holds up. If you want to really test a theory, you kind of need to negative vet it. Something can appear obvious because you're only viewing it from a single perspective.

It's just unbelievable that we haven't got any better at this in 11 years and we've done nothing about the only constant.

Last edited:

I recall blighty clearing out the dead wood at the crows many years ago. He said something like “don’t look at who plays well when we win, focus on who plays poorly when we lose”. It would be an interesting exercise
Call him and ask that question, see what he says

I recall blighty clearing out the dead wood at the crows many years ago. He said something like “don’t look at who plays well when we win, focus on who plays poorly when we lose”. It would be an interesting exercise
How much is it the players really? Port became a destination club for traded players. What makes us so appealing to them? Is it the soft culture where work life balance is encouraged and footy is not everything.

I thought he got his own ball?
hes an outside player, have you seen his frame? butters best is 60% outside ball given to him by wines and drew and 40% hard contested ball. you saw the contested ball deficit after qtr time

hes an outside player, have you seen his frame? butters best is 60% outside ball given to him by wines and drew and 40% hard contested ball. you saw the contested ball deficit after qtr time
He only had 3 possession in the second and I believe 4 over the second and third, that’s on him whilst his teammates disappeared, he’s a star player who needs to get his own ball if his teammates can’t get it too him. I don’t think his small stature is a deterrent, he’s tough as JHf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone bagging out Butters needs to have their head read or at least their football acumen called into question. He still ended up with 30 touches and like in the Freo game he was the one at the end (leaving aside JHF) trying to will us back into the game by dint of his sheer creative force. He coughed up some ball, and not everything turned out, but that’s what happens when you leave too much to too few.

Last edited:
Anyone bagging out Butters needs to have their head read or at least their football acumen called into question. He still ended up with 30 touches and like in the GWS game he was the one at the end (leaving aside JHF) trying to will us back into the game by dint of his sheer creative force. He coughed up some ball, and not everything turned out, but that’s what happens when you leave too much to too few.
I love Butters, great player, but when the heat was on he wasn’t to be found. He wasn’t a lone soldier, however pretty sure it happened against Freeo too and Melbourne.

if butters didnt do anything in the first qtr last week we wouldn't have got out to a 31 point lead
He got a quiet 15 possies in the first quarter and was one of the catalysts for our high pressure first quarter. I mean he was on for a quiet 60 possies for the game if he kept up his work rate. Understandably, he didn't and at quarter time, the Pies would've put some work into him for the rest of the game but you would hope some of his friends in the midfield would've energised up and known he can't keep that up.

He did finish with 31 possies which is most on ground. BOG for the first quarter. Quiet for the next two. Good in the last when it didn't matter.

He got a quiet 15 possies in the first quarter and was one of the catalysts for our high pressure first quarter. I mean he was on for a quiet 60 possies for the game if he kept up his work rate. Understandably, he didn't and at quarter time, the Pies would've put some work into him for the rest of the game but you would hope some of his friends in the midfield would've energised up and known he can't keep that up.

He did finish with 31 possies which is most on ground. BOG for the first quarter. Quiet for the next two. Good in the last when it didn't matter.
So in quarter terms he played one impactful quarter

Butters definitely off the list. His effort doesn't drop away like Rozee but his skill level drops off massively and he turns into a midfield Pittard.

SPP has never been a big game player.
Can’t recall SPP ever playing a decent final..

Utter Bullshit. 4 finals which are the biggest games of all:
View attachment 1967450
Go back and watch the games..he was basically statless in the first quarters, and racked up shite possies when the game was over

When it was on the line he was putrid on a number of occasions..when it mattered most.. couldn’t give a s**t if he had 60 possies when it counted he contributed nothing.. the big strong bull was weak as piss..

Can’t recall SPP ever playing a decent final..
2020 QF vs Geelong at AO, his first quarter was huge and set the tone for our attack on Geelong players for the rest of the night. He was ok for the other 3/4's, nothing great, but not poor either.

He got one of the maximum 5 votes from the coaches and Wines got 5+4 votes. That was Ken giving him 5 pretty much for his huge first quarter, our first final in 3 years and our first finals win since 2014 after the disaster that was the EF vs WCE in 2017 at home.

2020 QF vs Geelong at AO, his first quarter was huge and set the tone for our attack on Geelong players for the rest of the night. He was ok for the other 3/4's, nothing great, but not poor either.

He got one of the maximum 5 votes from the coaches and Wines got 5+4 votes. That was Ken giving him 5 pretty much for his huge first quarter, our first final in 3 years and our first finals win since 2014 after the disaster that was the EF vs WCE in 2017 at home.
barely touched it in a final since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back