Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Promotion and relegation does not work. The club that wins the lower division and gets promoted in most instances suffers an exodus of players as they do not want to play in the higher division and then bounce back on again.

The current situation is bigger than just one league and one administration. My view is that there are simply too many football clubs trying to draw from an ever decreasing pool of players....Maryborough is probably the perfect example of this issue.

Promotion n relegation system has worked well in the Eastern Comp & metro leagues so once again your talking out of your depth.

Promotion n relegation system has worked well in the Eastern Comp & metro leagues so once again your talking out of your depth.

There are also countless examples where they promoted teams experience an exodus of players and cop hidings in the higher division and bounce straight back out. I'm happy to back my knowledge

There are also countless examples where they promoted teams experience an exodus of players and cop hidings in the higher division and bounce straight back out. I'm happy to back my knowledge

That’s about club culture not a promotion scenario, real clubs should always seek to play the highest standard possible so their players progress n forfill their talent , the majority of players whom leave are doubtful of their ability n like being big fish in small pond, winning premierships in an average Comp is nothing to brag about, most minor comps are a two horse race.

That’s about club culture not a promotion scenario, real clubs should always seek to play the highest standard possible so their players progress n forfill their talent , the majority of players whom leave are doubtful of their ability n like being big fish in small pond, winning premierships in an average Comp is nothing to brag about, most minor comps are a two horse race.

It's an interesting concept - I think the migration of players would need to be considered. For example, some of the smaller towns in the HDFL (Elmore, Colbo & LBU etc.) pull a lot of older players from the GVFL or BFL who are stepping down in standard as they get on a bit and a relegation system may result in this not occurring - players not wanting to play against their 'home' club.

On the other side of the coin, it may help retain youngers guys wanting to step up but I cannot see enough of these guys being produced at these clubs.

Anyone from Strathfieldsaye got a heads up on wether Nick Clydesdale is staying or heading back to Seymour ??

former shep swans premiership player and GVFL representative Quade Johnstone heading to south bendigo

Anyone at Camp Reserve fill me in on ins or out at this point and who's coaching ressies and 3rds ??

Geez Maryborough look to be in a world of trouble. After appointing what seems like a terrific player as coach to see so many of their better players leave is alarming

Was their situation discussed at the BFNL annual general meeting or was there too much far more important stuff like how many interchange players the reserves should have?

It looks like another year of the 'great divide'. Strath, Burra, Square, Hurst at the top.
Castlemaine Marborough etc making up the numbers and probably not able to field teams at all levels.

Was their situation discussed at the BFNL annual general meeting or was there too much far more important stuff like how many interchange players the reserves should have?

It looks like another year of the 'great divide'. Strath, Burra, Square, Hurst at the top.
Castlemaine Marborough etc making up the numbers and probably not able to field teams at all levels.
Its looking every bit like that again unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worry about my old mates over at Castlemaine, Filo is determined not to recruit too much from outside and develop from within. Trouble with that is rather obvious, 3rds have had 4 years (my time there) of hidings so unlike the Bendigo teams who have a plethora of kids ready for senior footy, Castlemaine just don't have those talented kids on hand. And on the occasion they do they head up to Bendigo to play with mates or surrounding " lesser " leagues and waste there time and talent.

I worry about my old mates over at Castlemaine, Filo is determined not to recruit too much from outside and develop from within. Trouble with that is rather obvious, 3rds have had 4 years (my time there) of hidings so unlike the Bendigo teams who have a plethora of kids ready for senior footy, Castlemaine just don't have those talented kids on hand. And on the occasion they do they head up to Bendigo to play with mates or surrounding " lesser " leagues and waste there time and talent.

Lion, do they have the money to recruit?

And on my last, i really believe that they need 2 or 3 quality recruits but try to identify "good" club people to go with that. I can't stand it when a club like Castlemaine are prepared to fork out some big bucks to a guy, i have someone in particular in mind, who when he's on the park is very handy. .....but if he has some injury struggles throughout the year decides that "when im not playing im not going to be at the game for support " !!!!!.....on ya bike Mike !!!!

And on my last, i really believe that they need 2 or 3 quality recruits but try to identify "good" club people to go with that. I can't stand it when a club like Castlemaine are prepared to fork out some big bucks to a guy, i have someone in particular in mind, who when he's on the park is very handy. .....but if he has some injury struggles throughout the year decides that "when im not playing im not going to be at the game for support " !!!!!.....on ya bike Mike !!!!

Lion, this bloke wouldn't be the Lone Ranger. I remember talking to the late great Donny Armstrong. He was furious about a Sandhurst player who was injured, but still took his player payments. I think most BFNL Clubs could relate to this type of player. The guys committed as Donny was are as rare as hen's teeth. Clubs like Square have enjoyed great success because they are so good at recruiting. Kyneton picked itself up through recruiting.

If Castlemaine is ever going to climb up the ladder it will have to recruit strongly.

Lion, this bloke wouldn't be the Lone Ranger. I remember talking to the late great Donny Armstrong. He was furious about a Sandhurst player who was injured, but still took his player payments. I think most BFNL Clubs could relate to this type of player. The guys committed as Donny was are as rare as hen's teeth. Clubs like Square have enjoyed great success because they are so good at recruiting. Kyneton picked itself up through recruiting.

If Castlemaine is ever going to climb up the ladder it will have to recruit strongly.
Exactly. BFNL appears to be heavily reliant on recruiting and at this point its the only way the you can be successful in that comp.

Exactly. BFNL appears to be heavily reliant on recruiting and at this point its the only way the you can be successful in that comp.
Is that why the bfl has the keast amount of points out of major leagues lion?
The maines sucess in the past has always being built on champion locals like the filos brown walters and oliver just to name a few without ever winning lots of 3rds premierships, theres no short term fix in footy anymore

Is that why the bfl has the keast amount of points out of major leagues lion?
The maines sucess in the past has always being built on champion locals like the filos brown walters and oliver just to name a few without ever winning lots of 3rds premierships, theres no short term fix in footy anymore
That could be the exact reason for the lower point scale mate. Yes they've had some very good local talent over the years but for 1 reason or another they cant seem to either hold them or attract them back.

So if a 'local' player on $300 a game runs back into a pack and wins a contest while knocking his teeth out (choose your own injury) and wins a game for his club. He misses a weeks work as a casual employee in the non-footy world. Unless a contract specifically states it why shouldn't he expect his match payment when he misses the next 2 weeks of footy?

So if a 'local' player on $300 a game runs back into a pack and wins a contest while knocking his teeth out (choose your own injury) and wins a game for his club. He misses a weeks work as a casual employee in the non-footy world. Unless a contract specifically states it why shouldn't he expect his match payment when he misses the next 2 weeks of footy?
Thats just the way things roll silver. Id rather have 10 blokes like that than 1 bloke on $1800 a game that cant be bothered supporting his teammates when he misses thru a non serious injury.

The bloke I was talking about missed almost the entire season.

name and shame, wouldn't be surprised if it was seddon

Back