Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke directly to a Gisborne official yesterday who said direct opposite. Do not want to move leagues at all were the words and that they are committed to being a point of difference to Darley, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury
You have to be joking…… he’d probably want to speak to 99% of the rest of the club.
The players are already assigned to moving leagues, as is 99% of the club.

I thought after your EK comment over on the EDFL forum you might have wanted had to keep low for a few weeks Roota after you embarrassed yourself there, but obviously not

Get your head out of your ass, the BFL is a laughing stock right now, you could do the final ladder right now it’s that predictable.

I don’t know why they don’t just play a best of 13 Grand Final starting next week between Gisborne and Sandhurst, only option to bring any interest to the league for the remainder of the season.

Speaking of Sandhurst is it too that Tardew and Greene are both on $150 a game this year as they wanted to give back to there home club?

AFLCV and the Bendigo board. Who else ? They are the only body that can administer change - instead they dug their head in the sand and allowed clubs to walk the plank - terrible administration

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So no accountability for anyone involved at clubs?

The simple fact is that there are less people playing footy and too many clubs

You have to be joking…… he’d probably want to speak to 99% of the rest of the club.
The players are already assigned to moving leagues, as is 99% of the club.

I thought after your EK comment over on the EDFL forum you might have wanted had to keep low for a few weeks Roota after you embarrassed yourself there, but obviously not

Get your head out of your ass, the BFL is a laughing stock right now, you could do the final ladder right now it’s that predictable.

I don’t know why they don’t just play a best of 13 Grand Final starting next week between Gisborne and Sandhurst, only option to bring any interest to the league for the remainder of the season.

Speaking of Sandhurst is it too that Tardew and Greene are both on $150 a game this year as they wanted to give back to there home club?

What league in country Vic isn’t predictable? Is that the fault of the top clubs? Or do we just blame the administrators of the leagues because the bottom clubs can’t help themselves?

Not sure what my EK comment was to be honest but if I said it then I am happy to stick with it.

How are things at EK?

If the strenuously denied rumour from last season was correct maybe that is just the portion that goes in the books?

What league in country Vic isn’t predictable? Is that the fault of the top clubs? Or do we just blame the administrators of the leagues because the bottom clubs can’t help themselves?

Not sure what my EK comment was to be honest but if I said it then I am happy to stick with it.

How are things at EK?
without looking too far. I’d say the Rdfl isn’t predictable at all.

Anyone could beat anyone of there day.

Imagine actually driving to a game and you don’t know if you will be driving home with a win or a loss….. was there one player in the BFL today who woke up this morning not knowing if they were going to win or lose today……

How are things at EK?
Administration will be a little easier next year with the comp they administer going from 10 to 7 teams in the blink of an eye, with 2 of the teams gone being the most supported teams that were in the league. You sound like you’re happy with the job they are doing. There is no denying they’ve run the comp into the ground, they deserve a pat on the back.

So no accountability for anyone involved at clubs?

The simple fact is that there are less people playing footy and too many clubs
what kind of accountability would clubs want.

1) good clubs recruit good players, and have the capital to draw in said players

2) bad clubs leave the league because they can't compete and won't have anyone interested in attending home games.

i reckon it comes down to admin

what kind of accountability would clubs want.

1) good clubs recruit good players, and have the capital to draw in said players

2) bad clubs leave the league because they can't compete and won't have anyone interested in attending home games.

i reckon it comes down to admin
Problem is, admin are happy for the good clubs to stay good, and the not so good clubs to remain where they are. Even though it likely would have made little difference, the optics of making even minor point adjustments along the way would have gone some way to dampening the justified heat they cop. 2 years ago a club that didn’t make finals had their points reduced, yet clubs that did make finals didn’t change. Tell me how that makes any sense. I’ll wait.
Also - 2 of the clubs that will both be former Bendigo league clubs come 2025 were the most supported clubs in the league. And their supporters travelled as well, which are and will put dints in the coffers of clubs that remain. Forest will tell you how much it’s hit the hip pocket of Castlemaine missing out on the travelling supporters of Kyneton departing.

Problem is, admin are happy for the good clubs to stay good, and the not so good clubs to remain where they are. Even though it likely would have made little difference, the optics of making even minor point adjustments along the way would have gone some way to dampening the justified heat they cop. 2 years ago a club that didn’t make finals had their points reduced, yet clubs that did make finals didn’t change. Tell me how that makes any sense. I’ll wait.
Also - 2 of the clubs that will both be former Bendigo league clubs come 2025 were the most supported clubs in the league. And their supporters travelled as well, which are and will put dints in the coffers of clubs that remain. Forest will tell you how much it’s hit the hip pocket of Castlemaine missing out on the travelling supporters of Kyneton departing.
good points.

the admin are dumb, i think, and it'll likely stay that way because they're scared of the good clubs having a sook.

i have no foot in the race, but seeing leagues die a slow, painful death is depressing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason the clubs in the mallee get quality players is by cheating the salary cap by at least $150k - why would any team want to do that so that you are expensive witches hats for the sake of the comp

You need to earn the money to spend it. Settle down. These clubs have a storied history of success and have so for a time.

They don't have the juniors now to be stand alone clubs but they have the volunteers and crowds that put the bfl to shame.

Kids kicking the footy after the game , 150 meals at the rooms on a thrusday night , the community up there is huge and passionate.

The game was stuffed when AFL Vic missed the chance to make real change and instead brought in a toothless points system and a pointless salary cap.

Here’s a question I’ve been pondering since someone posted why should the other leagues around have to change things, should the Bendigo league disband?
The harping on points system is a waste of time. Its proven over how many years it doesn't work? Its a model used in all country footy so trying to have specifics for a league would also reduce the chances of recruiting half decent players as well.
Golden Square used 30/43 yesterday and Kangaroo Flat used 43/46.

Real change is having the conviction to follow through and lead the league through the wilderness which some strong direction and some foresight. New clubs, a long term plan on how to attract and retain teams from other leagues, divisional system and scrapping a points and salary cap system are all good starting points.
Make a plan, get buy in from a majority ( not all) and run with it. What does the BFNL have to lose at present?

Make a plan, get buy in from a majority ( not all) and run with it. What does the BFNL have to lose at present?

The problem I see is the game is still stuck in old school thinking from a time that has long passed.

You see it a lot in these discussions as well, build a club from juniors, get a hard working committee, get your locals involved and so on.

That’s all great but it’s not the sort of analytical approach the sport needs, yet it prevails at leadership level.

Where’s the detailed review of census data, economic potential and future indicators of community growth? That’s the stuff that should be driving the decisions and the hub should be constantly analysing and creating plans based on that stuff. And then publishing, explaining and bringing people with them.

Instead they are publishing crap pr, posing for photos with unnecessary sponsors and making empty statements with absolutely no action.

the focus on country footy from afl, afl vic is non existent and the structure that governs the game at grassroots level serves it appallingly.
Who is actually on the afl vic board and is there anyone from a true country background? I doubt it.
On what planet would the BFNL be lining up for another AFL employed staffer to run the show when they only need to pick up phone to some other major leagues namely O&M, Murray, Hampden and see what having people in charge with sole job of running that league does. The state of nation statement last week from new regional manager summed it all up. Spin, spin and more spin.
Reap what you sow

The AFL has a very good equalisation measure in place. The draft - compensation picks - salary cap relief for Sydney clubs - all designed to EQUALISE. The salary cap and points system was brought into country footy to stop players demanding massive money and player movement etc and it’s had the reverse effect.

Players have never been paid more and clubs have never paid out more. No need to try and equalise country footy because at the end of the day they just don’t care.

Also don’t forget the VAFA is also a protected species in Melbourne as they all play on high points to stop players being recruited out .

Changing topic

Went and watched Square v Flat and was underwhelmed with both but especially Flat.

My take is that they need to start with a younger coaching group consisting of blokes who have played in at least the last 10 years. Senior coach I get but at least surround yourself or the club surround him with some more up to date playing experience.

Also, why no club official thought to go around and tell their under 18 lads to pull their heads in at some point is beyond me. Constant abuse hurled and was cringeworthy and embarrassing.

Well what a weekend. Unfortunately wasn’t a great result for the club on the scoreboard after being comprehensively beaten by a dominant Sandhurst outfit. They will certainly be thereabouts come the end of the year.

As for our fellows, I and the club are really proud of them. Yes we were totally outclassed but our players commitment and effort could never be questioned. Our boys gave their all.

To all the pundits posting the result and carrying on, that’s great to make uneducated and ill informed statements but you weren’t there and didn’t see our fellows have a go. They can only give their best which they did.

To Sandhurst, thanks for hanging around and supporting our club. Many others have negative attitudes towards them but we cannot thank them enough for the help and support they have given us. Many other high performing clubs would not do this.

As for our club, we are way off the mark as everyone knows and as per my previous posts our club is facing a lot of challenges. We are financially sound, have good community and business support. Our challenge is attracting the right players at the right price. Unfortunately that is not an easy task despite our efforts.

Our club will continue through the season and will not close the doors despite what others think. What happens with our future will be discussed again at the end of the year and in a perfect world we would love to stay in the BFNL. Whether that happens I think that is open for discussion as we need to be realistic as we have at all times.

The bigger issue as I have stated many times is the football landscape around Maryborough. Too many clubs and don’t want to recognise the need for change despite numerous reports/ recommendations from former commissions, dwindling playing numbers, the same clubs struggling and a town like Maryborough having an older demographic, limited employment opportunities and a continued loss of younger people to the city for both work and study. Many clubs are happy to dominate year after year, shell out big coin to overrated and over hyped recruits and not consider the state of football and community sport in general across the region (cricket is suffering a similar fate).

We are very proud of all involved with the club and remind ourselves ‘the tough get going when the going gets tough.’ It certainly has been a mantra for our club in recent times.

Our club and people have character, high levels of integrity and determination to make things better. Eventually the tide will turn and we look forward to it but at this time there will be more hard times, we are sticking tight and determined to see things through.

On a positive note, our netball is flying and it is so good to see with our A Reserve team winning yesterday. It was fantastic to see but overshadowed by the senior football result.

Finally as has been mentioned the BFNL needs to be looked at and I hope this occurs. Our club has had good support from the league and whilst you always want more, I hope there will be a bigger picture look at football in the region. It is well overdue as seen by Saturday’s results.

I am sure some of the faceless posters will give their blunt and uninformed opinions but if you are not directly involved you really don’t understand the full situation. I guess that’s the joy of big footy to take pot shots using faceless names.

All the best to all and we will continue to be open and transparent with our happenings as we believe this is the best approach. Further updates will be provided.

Changing topic

Went and watched Square v Flat and was underwhelmed with both but especially Flat.

My take is that they need to start with a younger coaching group consisting of blokes who have played in at least the last 10 years. Senior coach I get but at least surround yourself or the club surround him with some more up to date playing experience.

Also, why no club official thought to go around and tell their under 18 lads to pull their heads in at some point is beyond me. Constant abuse hurled and was cringeworthy and embarrassing.
Flat have been terrible for so long, they seem to have zero plans about a future, they won a thirds flag a few years ago but didn't recruit to try help build a core.

They have a revolving door of senior coaches, they should have been far more competitive against square given their last 2 results prior

thinking the same thermos that was an amazing hour for metoo reading back. sad thing is whats being commented on in this chat is happening in a lot of other leagues too. may start with admin, may start with clubs but it may come back to what you are willing or can afford to pay.

look at all these advertised jobs? the most talented and capable folk arent giving up good jobs for far less money and far more expecation and scrutiny just to "Work in football"

same thing at the dwindling NAB Coates comp. people who havent coached junior club teams yet can obtain a level 3 coaching license now have jobs handling mentoring coaching whats meant to be our next crop of potential stars.
how? why? because the money on offer is crap, yet the hoodys and polos look awesome so keen people (not their fault) are landing in gigs far before theyre competent and ready meaning kids suffer, the talent isnt where it should be and aprents paying fees are getting local level outcomes for there hard eanrt

if the model is stuffed at levels higher than local grassroots level what hope do we have people?

Well what a weekend. Unfortunately wasn’t a great result for the club on the scoreboard after being comprehensively beaten by a dominant Sandhurst outfit. They will certainly be thereabouts come the end of the year.

As for our fellows, I and the club are really proud of them. Yes we were totally outclassed but our players commitment and effort could never be questioned. Our boys gave their all.

To all the pundits posting the result and carrying on, that’s great to make uneducated and ill informed statements but you weren’t there and didn’t see our fellows have a go. They can only give their best which they did.

To Sandhurst, thanks for hanging around and supporting our club. Many others have negative attitudes towards them but we cannot thank them enough for the help and support they have given us. Many other high performing clubs would not do this.

As for our club, we are way off the mark as everyone knows and as per my previous posts our club is facing a lot of challenges. We are financially sound, have good community and business support. Our challenge is attracting the right players at the right price. Unfortunately that is not an easy task despite our efforts.

Our club will continue through the season and will not close the doors despite what others think. What happens with our future will be discussed again at the end of the year and in a perfect world we would love to stay in the BFNL. Whether that happens I think that is open for discussion as we need to be realistic as we have at all times.

The bigger issue as I have stated many times is the football landscape around Maryborough. Too many clubs and don’t want to recognise the need for change despite numerous reports/ recommendations from former commissions, dwindling playing numbers, the same clubs struggling and a town like Maryborough having an older demographic, limited employment opportunities and a continued loss of younger people to the city for both work and study. Many clubs are happy to dominate year after year, shell out big coin to overrated and over hyped recruits and not consider the state of football and community sport in general across the region (cricket is suffering a similar fate).

We are very proud of all involved with the club and remind ourselves ‘the tough get going when the going gets tough.’ It certainly has been a mantra for our club in recent times.

Our club and people have character, high levels of integrity and determination to make things better. Eventually the tide will turn and we look forward to it but at this time there will be more hard times, we are sticking tight and determined to see things through.

On a positive note, our netball is flying and it is so good to see with our A Reserve team winning yesterday. It was fantastic to see but overshadowed by the senior football result.

Finally as has been mentioned the BFNL needs to be looked at and I hope this occurs. Our club has had good support from the league and whilst you always want more, I hope there will be a bigger picture look at football in the region. It is well overdue as seen by Saturday’s results.

I am sure some of the faceless posters will give their blunt and uninformed opinions but if you are not directly involved you really don’t understand the full situation. I guess that’s the joy of big footy to take pot shots using faceless names.

All the best to all and we will continue to be open and transparent with our happenings as we believe this is the best approach. Further updates will be provided.

Respect this update so thanks and good luck with working it all out. You will find your place soon enough and the club will survive.

I do however think that even if Maryborough had one side in the bfnl and carisbrook was your district side the result on Saturday is no different.

Thought the AFLCV sanctioned review today was absolutely tasteless.

Banging on about the scoring record with not a mention of credit to Maryborough for battling it out.

Highly instructive that no one asked Doley to spend the 10 seconds it took to write it again to redo without the cheering on man taking candy from a baby angle.

And maybe try not to use the same adjective in consecutive paragraphs, would make your writing much more ‘remarkable’.

look at all these advertised jobs? the most talented and capable folk arent giving up good jobs for far less money and far more expecation and scrutiny just to "Work in football"

There’s a really easy solution to this, cut the staff. The AFL CV page has 14! Staff listed. You wonder what the real figure is because Doley isn’t there and I doubt he is writing all of those articles for free (although that would be market value).

There should be two full time staff in the hub. If they can’t run all the footy and netball in 76 hours each week then something is wrong, especially seeing most of what used to be time consuming is now automated by play hq.

You could pay the chief well north of 100k, have an assistant on 80k and still save on staff. Get a trainee with government subsidies if need be.

Cut the useless promos, let clubs run their own development programs and stop pinching sponsors and commercial opportunities and what is left?

Seriously what do they do all day? Results are automatic, there’s barely a tribunal, registrations etc are all automated on the system, clubs run match days. Genuine question, where are all those hours going now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back