Bendigo FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless the league makes some significant changes. I wouldn’t rule it out.

Could quite easily be a 6 team comp within years unless officials within in the league start to realise there is more to the competition than Sandhurst and South Bendigo
That's doubtful, Kyneton won't go to the ridell league unless Gisborne, Sunbury, Darley, Bacchus Marsh join the league and it turns into a metro division comp. That's not going to happen, not sure Castlemaine and Maryborough will be in the league in 5 years, but maiden gully will come in

I’m sure they have very good reasons for it / Bendigo bias and lack of care for the country clubs probably the main reasons I’d say

No doubt it is a indicator of how the country clubs feel about AFLCV and rightly so.

Hard to see how it won't impact the viability of Kyneton as a Bendigo club in the seniors going forward though. Riddell league plays the odd number age groups so straight away their under 18s are going to be a challenge. The either field under 17s and under 18s which you would think impossible or have under 15s moving to under 18s which will hurt retention.

Then you have the issue of your juniors in a lesser standard league and having to move into a stronger comp at under 18s which may not have much appeal.

It's going to create a messy draw and missing out on the chance to have blockbuster days full of junior footy and netball and the women's all playing around the seniors comps.

Logically it has to be the first step towards a full club move down there.

No doubt it is a indicator of how the country clubs feel about AFLCV and rightly so.

Hard to see how it won't impact the viability of Kyneton as a Bendigo club in the seniors going forward though. Riddell league plays the odd number age groups so straight away their under 18s are going to be a challenge. The either field under 17s and under 18s which you would think impossible or have under 15s moving to under 18s which will hurt retention.

Then you have the issue of your juniors in a lesser standard league and having to move into a stronger comp at under 18s which may not have much appeal.

It's going to create a messy draw and missing out on the chance to have blockbuster days full of junior footy and netball and the women's all playing around the seniors comps.

Logically it has to be the first step towards a full club move down there.
Clubs in the bfl, only play 3rds and up on Saturdays don't they? Kyenton may have been losing juniors by the added travel in the lower age groups, it's half an hour travel in the Riddell max, compared to 45+ minutes to Bendigo every second week, what do Gisborne do in under 16s?

Clubs in the bfl, only play 3rds and up on Saturdays don't they? Kyenton may have been losing juniors by the added travel in the lower age groups, it's half an hour travel in the Riddell max, compared to 45+ minutes to Bendigo every second week, what do Gisborne do in under 16s?

Certainly the women's games are becoming more common on Saturdays in the BFL, the junior competition is too spread to get them at the same place but I reckon it will have great appeal for Kyneton in the Riddell league.

Gisborne play in the Riddell comp but you are talking a much different catchment size. They play two under 17 teams and have a strong under 18 team and Kyneton don't have access to anywhere near the playing numbers for that.

I'm tipping in the next couple of years Gisborne will have an entire second club playing somewhere. .

Certainly the women's games are becoming more common on Saturdays in the BFL, the junior competition is too spread to get them at the same place but I reckon it will have great appeal for Kyneton in the Riddell league.

Gisborne play in the Riddell comp but you are talking a much different catchment size. They play two under 17 teams and have a strong under 18 team and Kyneton don't have access to anywhere near the playing numbers for that.

I'm tipping in the next couple of years Gisborne will have an entire second club playing somewhere. .
New Gisborne giants will be in the bfl in 5 years, all they need is another ground in Gisborne. Kyneton is growing too though, maybe a Romsey or Wallan is poached into the bfl as well

New Gisborne giants will be in the bfl in 5 years, all they need is another ground in Gisborne. Kyneton is growing too though, maybe a Romsey or Wallan is poached into the bfl as well

I think they'll head metro, maybe Essendon District.

Not sure about the others, most clubs I talk to a pretty happy with the way things are run in the AFL Goldfields region, couldn't say the same for clubs in AFL CV.

I think they'll head metro, maybe Essendon District.

Not sure about the others, most clubs I talk to a pretty happy with the way things are run in the AFL Goldfields region, couldn't say the same for clubs in AFL CV.
Gisborne giants will start seniors in 2 years in the riddell league which will thin out Gisborne’s dominance - new ground nearly started and giants and Gisborne club already not the best of mates - gisborne long term you would think will go to Essendon as bendigo seem too focussed on making the bendigo league just that - teams in bendigo - good luck with the 14 people in the crowd though - country / one club towns are the best supported and always will be

Wallan is more likely to play in the Riddell or Northern than Bendigo.
I could see the Giants starting in Riddell and potentially looking to Bendigo if they seek a bigger challenge.

Then again, is it more likely that Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton exit the BFNL and look elsewhere?

Gisborne giants will start seniors in 2 years in the riddell league which will thin out Gisborne’s dominance - new ground nearly started and giants and Gisborne club already not the best of mates - gisborne long term you would think will go to Essendon as bendigo seem too focussed on making the bendigo league just that - teams in bendigo - good luck with the 14 people in the crowd though - country / one club towns are the best supported and always will be

Netball would be an issue for clubs looking at Essendon. I think clubs are more likely to investigate other options instead if they highly value their netball arm.

What are the issue’s that make clubs/supporters think that the league is to Bendigo focused. Is their much the league can do or is it more that the Bendigo clubs have been dominating for to long.

What are the issue’s that make clubs/supporters think that the league is to Bendigo focused. Is their much the league can do or is it more that the Bendigo clubs have been dominating for to long.

The main issue continues to be that there is absolutely no measures being taken to support the difficulties clubs face, and many of us feel it's because there is little intrest at the administrational level outside of Bendigo.

A classic example was a few years ago when Golden Square were short of seconds players. Straight away articles started to appear in the Addy asking what could be done to address the issue, plenty of interest at league level, country clubs had faced that problem for 10 years and not a peep.

It's all well and good for people to say the clubs need to sort themselves out but the simple facts are clubs like Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton are never going to be on an even playing field with Bendigo clubs just based on simple demographics. There has to be some measure of equalisation in play.

If you fast forward 10 years, it's not far-fetched suggest the BFL will have lost Castlemaine, Kyneton, and Maryborough, Kangaroo Flat will be in trouble and Gisborne might move on. The Loddon Valley and North Central leagues likely won't exist and Heathcote will have thinned out clubs due to a lack of juniors as well. A Maiden Gully or a Huntly might come in but the world is going to get real small for South and Eaglehawk if all of those clubs move out.

The question is, with all of that on the cards what is the governing body doing about it? What are their plans? Solutions? If they have any ideas at all they are keeping them very quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main issue continues to be that there is absolutely no measures being taken to support the difficulties clubs face, and many of us feel it's because there is little intrest at the administrational level outside of Bendigo.

A classic example was a few years ago when Golden Square were short of seconds players. Straight away articles started to appear in the Addy asking what could be done to address the issue, plenty of interest at league level, country clubs had faced that problem for 10 years and not a peep.

It's all well and good for people to say the clubs need to sort themselves out but the simple facts are clubs like Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton are never going to be on an even playing field with Bendigo clubs just based on simple demographics. There has to be some measure of equalisation in play.

If you fast forward 10 years, it's not far-fetched suggest the BFL will have lost Castlemaine, Kyneton, and Maryborough, Kangaroo Flat will be in trouble and Gisborne might move on. The Loddon Valley and North Central leagues likely won't exist and Heathcote will have thinned out clubs due to a lack of juniors as well. A Maiden Gully or a Huntly might come in but the world is going to get real small for South and Eaglehawk if all of those clubs move out.

The question is, with all of that on the cards what is the governing body doing about it? What are their plans? Solutions? If they have any ideas at all they are keeping them very quiet.
Lack of player’s is everywhere around the state. Club’s that at the bottom of the ladder find it hard to move up in a lot of leagues. You say the league need to find solutions. What solutions do you suggest?

In 10 years time, I see Castlemaine, Maryborough and Kyneton playing elsewhere. Gisborne might stay or else they will move to the Riddell - I reckon that if they leave, they will do so a couple of seasons after the others have gone.

You may have a North Central FC and a Loddon Valley FC in the competition as well, which will be the remnants of the clubs from those leagues when they hit the point of no return. A point of contention may be junior teams.

I do see Maiden Gully YCW joining the BFNL although they may spend some time in the Heathcote league in the interim depending on low long the LVFNL lasts.

I am not sure if Rochester, Echuca, Echuca United or Moama will consider joining at any stage.

What are people's views on how much longer the Loddon Valley and North Central comps last?

I don't think Gisborne will go metro due to netball and being a traditional country club. Having two teams in Gisborne creates a great rivalry in the league, add on Kyneton as well. There's plenty of people in the key age footy playing demographics that move to the Macedon ranges. Gisborne could have gone Ballarat but enjoy the travel up the Calder.

Square, south and Sandhurst will struge for juniors if a maiden gully and team from Huntly come in, as it's where families move to in Bendigo, so Strath, Gisborne maiden gully would all be strong from junior depth.

Has to be a mou in place for minor and major leagues, can't see reserves footy in 5 years time, unless the tac under state comp is finished, which in my opinion it should be. Women's footy at 12.

North central Loddon valley and golden rivers will merge in the next 2 years

I don't think Gisborne will go metro due to netball and being a traditional country club. Having two teams in Gisborne creates a great rivalry in the league, add on Kyneton as well. There's plenty of people in the key age footy playing demographics that move to the Macedon ranges. Gisborne could have gone Ballarat but enjoy the travel up the Calder.

Square, south and Sandhurst will struge for juniors if a maiden gully and team from Huntly come in, as it's where families move to in Bendigo, so Strath, Gisborne maiden gully would all be strong from junior depth.

Has to be a mou in place for minor and major leagues, can't see reserves footy in 5 years time, unless the tac under state comp is finished, which in my opinion it should be. Women's footy at 12.

North central Loddon valley and golden rivers will merge in the next 2 years
If you think those three leagues will merge in the next two years you are delusional. Reserves footy not existing in 5 years time? Come on mate it’s not that dier

Lack of player’s is everywhere around the state. Club’s that at the bottom of the ladder find it hard to move up in a lot of leagues. You say the league need to find solutions. What solutions do you suggest?

Been over these a few pages back and there are lots of views on this, what would be nice is if AFLCV was doing anything.

Long term solutions are needed but here are some short term ideas that could be implemented immediately.

1. Unlimited points and salary cap for any side who doesn't make finals for 5 years.
2. Reduce senior sides to 20 players.
3. Apply rigour to clearances within league and reject if grounds are insufficient when weaker clubs are losing players to stronger clubs.
4. Apply a extra 2 points penalty to players moving from a team outside the finals to one who made finals within the same league.
5. Allow players moving from finals teams to be zero point players at teams who missed them.
6. Merge reserves and under 18s into one competition, an under 23 competition with a certain number of age exemptions allowed per team.

The other thing people forget when they talk Maiden Gully is that the landscape for a new team is very different now.

With a salary cap in place it's going to be much more difficult to establish a successful team at that level than by the path Strath took.

From all accounts, AFLV are not all that interested in conducting reviews. They haven't bothered to do one in any region for the best part of 10 years now.

Some interesting points there to contemplate and some should be implemented as is. Maybe not unlimited points for point one, but possibly make it 6-8 points extra on the base figure.

Is the 20 players for senior sides based on 18 + 2 on the bench or 16 + 4 on the bench?

Points penalties for pilfering of weaker clubs and zero points for players crossing to lower clubs gets my tick of approval and probably Trent's as well.

You can’t expect Gisborne Giants to start in the BFL. They’re a club starting from scratch and the RDFL is best suited to them. In 10 years time they could jump across to BFL but not now. Kyneton juniors makes a lot of sense going into RDFL, a lot less travel but the seniors will not look to move. If they were ever going to do it it is when the disbanded for a year. They said their future is in the BFL. They would destroy RDFL, RDFL has towns with only 2000 people in it, Kyneton and Gisborne for that fact are too strong. Gisborne are smart enough to stay playing country footy. You would think it would be Bendigo but you have to watch Ballarat league as they have Melton, Melton South Bacchus Marsh, Darley plus Sunbury all a lot closer than Bendigo. They haven’t made the move but if it got ugly in the Bendigo league that’s were they would go. My concern with Castlemaine and Marybourgh is to many district clubs around then poaching players. There juniors arnt strong. As I’ve said previously on this site I could see Castlemaine being a success in the future, espically if that great redevelopment gets over the line. But junior results concern me. Marybourgh are my biggest worry for the future. I hope all these clubs stay with the Bendigo league and enjoy success again.

You can’t expect Gisborne Giants to start in the BFL. They’re a club starting from scratch and the RDFL is best suited to them. In 10 years time they could jump across to BFL but not now. Kyneton juniors makes a lot of sense going into RDFL, a lot less travel but the seniors will not look to move. If they were ever going to do it it is when the disbanded for a year. They said their future is in the BFL. They would destroy RDFL, RDFL has towns with only 2000 people in it, Kyneton and Gisborne for that fact are too strong. Gisborne are smart enough to stay playing country footy. You would think it would be Bendigo but you have to watch Ballarat league as they have Melton, Melton South Bacchus Marsh, Darley plus Sunbury all a lot closer than Bendigo. They haven’t made the move but if it got ugly in the Bendigo league that’s were they would go. My concern with Castlemaine and Marybourgh is to many district clubs around then poaching players. There juniors arnt strong. As I’ve said previously on this site I could see Castlemaine being a success in the future, espically if that great redevelopment gets over the line. But junior results concern me. Marybourgh are my biggest worry for the future. I hope all these clubs stay with the Bendigo league and enjoy success again.
Agree entirely with your assessment of Castlemaine and the battle to keep/obtain players due to the surrounding clubs. Puzzling thing for me during my period of involvement there was I would hear about how strong their junior teams were, mainly U16's but due to personal conflicts some really good juniors were kept away from experiencing BFL U18.

Agree entirely with your assessment of Castlemaine and the battle to keep/obtain players due to the surrounding clubs. Puzzling thing for me during my period of involvement there was I would hear about how strong their junior teams were, mainly U16's but due to personal conflicts some really good juniors were kept away from experiencing BFL U18.
That’s a big concern then with your last comment. Could Castlemaine talk to a club like Colac, colac are a powerhouse in Geelong Football League but also have a district league the CDFNL that has a lot of surrounding towns/clubs. They seem to do it really well and could be a club that could help with some ideas on how to create positive relationship between a major league club and district league clubs. Shows it can be done with the right set up.

From my view, which is very much on the outside, I don't think the issue with Castlemaine is the relationship with the district league clubs, I think that operates pretty well.

In my mind the biggest thing that has held Castlemaine back has been the issues with past players. When you look at the 1992 premiership team, it was an exceptional side, one of the best ever in the competition without doubt, and should have been capable of much more than a runner-up and a flag.

When you look at what followed though, you see a huge number of players in that team went on to play or coach at other Bendigo league clubs. Now you can argue that says something about the club or it says something about the individuals.

That has then flowed on through they years, as those players have had kids there have been issues with the juniors and many of them have ended up at other Bendigo league clubs. And as people of influence in the town and local footy, that has then dragged other kids with them, or influenced the decision of others to go, in both footy and netball.

When people see those players having success elsewhere it makes it that much harder to keep others, especially when the same people are actively trying to recruit more each year which is still happening as we speak. In my eyes that is the biggest issue Castlemaine faces.

That’s a big concern then with your last comment. Could Castlemaine talk to a club like Colac, colac are a powerhouse in Geelong Football League but also have a district league the CDFNL that has a lot of surrounding towns/clubs. They seem to do it really well and could be a club that could help with some ideas on how to create positive relationship between a major league club and district league clubs. Shows it can be done with the right set up.
Different demographics with Colac and castlemaine, a lot of people who move to Castlemaine have zero interest in footy. Colac have been well setup off field for a long time as well, with coaches and getting ex AFL players back, Colac people I'd think have more pride in their town that their footy team is doing well, not sure that exists in Castlemaine anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back