Bendigo FL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
O'Brien at Gisborne came directly from Castlemaine. Blake also at Gisborne is the son of a Castlemaine premiership player but I think came through Sandhurst thirds. He played in the Dragon's 2016 premiership team.

I suspect O'Brien and Matt Filo left out of sheer dispair the way the club was going. Both these guys have a strong family connection with the club and I am sure would be welcomed back with open arms.
Is Darcy Richards a Maryborough junior as well? Also Johnstone that played at Strath was a Maryborough local

O'Brien at Gisborne came directly from Castlemaine. Blake also at Gisborne is the son of a Castlemaine premiership player but I think came through Sandhurst thirds. He played in the Dragon's 2016 premiership team.

I suspect O'Brien and Matt Filo left out of sheer dispair the way the club was going. Both these guys have a strong family connection with the club and I am sure would be welcomed back with open arms.
Isnt Matt and josh filo kerang juniors? I thought Brodie was a Maine junior

correct me if I’m wrong but I think Jake O’Brien is from Melbourne and was a very high point player for them. Bailey Henderson is back to help out from Strath. Two big names in the region of Horne and Henderson, hopefully more follow and make Castlemaine successful again as it’s great for the region and league.
O’Brien is actually from Romsey

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more players going rather than coming to the league at this point? Could we see the standard drop away a bit? Could this close the gap between top 6 and bottom 4? Or will it be more of the same next year, a league with basically 2 divisions within it? Are there any clubs that have gained more than they’ve lost to this stage?

Is it just me, or does there seem to be more players going rather than coming to the league at this point? Could we see the standard drop away a bit? Could this close the gap between top 6 and bottom 4? Or will it be more of the same next year, a league with basically 2 divisions within it? Are there any clubs that have gained more than they’ve lost to this stage?

South & Sandhurst seem to have recruited well and will be at least as good as this year. Strath, Square & Gisborne with their abundance of talented youth can only remain strong. Don't know much about Eaglehawk, but certainly would not write them off. (Interesting too see if Brodie Filo will return to the O & M as per comments on that forum).

One would hope Kyneton can get into this mix, but although they have a really good coach they do need a lot of improvement on the field. I hope I am wrong but I suspect the gap will remain.

I would like to see the top 6 finals format remain in place. I think it adds interest to the finals matches when they commence. The downside is it will probably mean the race to play in finals will be over fairly early in the season.

....Could we see the standard drop away a bit? Could this close the gap between top 6 and bottom 4? Or will it be more of the same next year, a league with basically 2 divisions within it? ......

Bart, unfortunately, the problem with the league is systemic.

If you look at the top 4 under 18 teams from this season being 1 Gisborne, 2 Strath, 3 Square and 4 Sandhurst they can afford to lose a lot of players every year and still be the dominant teams. This has been the case for over 10 years in not only the under 18s but also reserves.

Conversely for over 10 years the bottom teams in the under 18s are invariable Maryborough and Maine with South, Kyneton and Flat bouncing around the bottom half.

Unfortunately for the highest level of footy in the region, the two divisions are here to stay.

Bart, unfortunately, the problem with the league is systemic.

If you look at the top 4 under 18 teams from this season being 1 Gisborne, 2 Strath, 3 Square and 4 Sandhurst they can afford to lose a lot of players every year and still be the dominant teams. This has been the case for over 10 years in not only the under 18s but also reserves.

Conversely for over 10 years the bottom teams in the under 18s are invariable Maryborough and Maine with South, Kyneton and Flat bouncing around the bottom half.

Unfortunately for the highest level of footy in the region, the two divisions are here to stay.
Did flat win the 2019 thirds premiership? Although they probably haven't had much success in the thirds, since Glen Hutchinson won the league bnf in the late 90s when Glen Nugent was coaching the seniors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great combo bootz, watching the footy at the qeo, followed by a few pots at the RIfle

I’m a pint man myself 🤪. Loved the old shape of the ground. Had deeper pockets than I’ve got back in the late 80s when I used to embarrass myself there for the Kennington-Strathdale Magoos!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pat Cummins and now most of the media covering the 2nd test being unable to play/attend due to Covid 19 regulations is highlighting the nightmare of trying to play team sport. The Omicron variant is exploding and who knows when the next variant arrives.

We will hopefully have football next year, but it is going to be an enormous challenge. Having teams train closely together is going to be a risk. One player testing positive could see close mates being impacted. Any team social activities become a risk. Just eating at the same/nearby table in a cafe (as per Pat Cummins and almost Nathon Lyon & Mitchel Starc) will be a risk. Supporters in the rooms will be a risk. You can see teams being required to make massive changes with several players at a time being unable to play.

I think administrators need to start planning now how football is to be played in a 2022 Covid environment. Postponing rounds until 'things come good' didn't work this year and certainly won't work next year.

It is going to be a massive challenge.

Good luck with arranging anything until past mid-January, Albury.

BFNL admin. staff are on leave until Jan. 17th I imagine that the whole of the AFL CV office would be on leave until that date, also

E-mails bounce back stating the January 17th date.

Does anyone know who the 2 former VFL players are who are training with Golden Square apparently going to play there?

Does anyone know who the 2 former VFL players are who are training with Golden Square apparently going to play there?

No firm commitment as yet from those players Bootz but let’s just say if I was a betting man both players will be lining up with the bulldogs in 2022. My mail tells me they will be turning out for the club despite approaches from their VFL club to play there next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back