Fishing Barramundi on the Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Fishing the Nerang River today I got chatting to a couple of chaps, and one said he saw a dude catch a Barra in the Nerang River, underneath the M1 bridge a couple of weeks back.

I found this very hard to believe and registered my disbelief, but he swore it was a Barra.

Has anyone here ever heard of Barra being caught on the Goldie?

There's meant to be a Croc on Fraser Island so maybe... just maybe things are moving more south.

I have a fishing book "Grant's book of Fishes" or something like that written by an Australian fishermen (he'd be now getting into his 80's) that worked catching fish (reef, estuary, you name it) professionally.

He claims he caught a Barramundi in the Noosa River a few years back (late 70's, early 80's). Not just any Barramundi, but he said it was the biggest Barramundi he had ever seen/caught.

The Gold Coast is a bit further South then Noosa, Grant does refer to the Barramundi he caught at Noosa as a "straggler" but there you go.

Im just sceptic about it. Some, if rare, big Jewfish are caught unde rthe bridge so I just wonder if this guy has got confused a little.

Noosa Must be 150 ks north, maybe more, and this spot of the Nerang River must be 10Ks inland from teh Seaway... Maybe more with its twists and turns.

How old was he? Did he know what he was talking about or at least give an impression to be trustworthy?

150 Km's isnt really that big a distance with regards to distribution. The fishing literature does say that the Barramundi is found in the Noosa River so 150km's further south is definitely a rogue.

They are a very unique looking fish, you can't mistake them close up. How far away was this guy when he saw the fish? If he was a fair distance the dopey bastard has probably mistaken it for a jewfish.

Did he say if the barra did any tail-walking during the fight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back