All Divisions General NFNL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Impacts clubs financially. Supporters wont travel that far.

Won’t happen. If they had a good established footy program it would be considered.. not as a brand new side that’s fallen over twice in the last 5 years.
Not sure it impacts clubs financially

Started following the Northern Footy Show a bit more, how great is it.

Some awesome interviews and insights to local clubs. I hope this grows and grows, cannot see why anyone would have issues with these guys, would love to see them get bigger with more journos that could say interview players/coaches pre or post games etc

Would be great to see them to financial support to grow like that. The league cannot become stagnate and what they are doing, IMO is awesome.

Some awesome interviews and insights to local clubs. I hope this grows and grows, cannot see why anyone would have issues with these guys, would love to see them get bigger with more journos that could say interview players/coaches pre or post games etc

Would be great to see them to financial support to grow like that. The league cannot become stagnate and what they are doing, IMO is awesome.
They are doing a good job. Not sure why they have so much content while the league has basically zero to this stage?

They are doing what the league should be doing. Getting down to clubs and promoting them…

Looking forward to their game day stuff!

They are doing a good job. Not sure why they have so much content while the league has basically zero to this stage?

They are doing what the league should be doing. Getting down to clubs and promoting them…

Looking forward to their game day stuff!
Well said. League would rather siton their hands as usual. The NFS are making the league media team look second rate when the league should be the ones to follow. Keep up the great work guys.

Couldn’t agree more. Brilliant idea and great to follow and learn more about each club and the people within each club from the president, coaches and players.

Well said. League would rather siton their hands as usual. The NFS are making the league media team look second rate when the league should be the ones to follow. Keep up the great work guys.
Couldn’t agree more. The boys are doing a fantastic job and if the NFNL were smart, they would pay them and get thme part of the team.

But we all know the leagues is run by donuts, with zero initiatives to grow the competition.

Couldn’t agree more. The boys are doing a fantastic job and if the NFNL were smart, they would pay them and get thme part of the team.

But we all know the leagues is run by donuts, with zero initiatives to grow the competition.
Pretty unfair call.

They’ve introduced a number of new male teams

Grown the women’s game from nothing and brought in a growing Netball comp which is huge.

Pretty unfair call.

They’ve introduced a number of new male teams

Grown the women’s game from nothing and brought in a growing Netball comp which is huge.
They didn’t introduce anyone. These clubs have asked to come over.

I’m talking media and interacting with the supporters, players, clubs etc.
why not try and get as many eyes on your comp as possible. Will only benefit them when it comes to finals and money in there pocket. M

They had a brilliant media team years ago, who did interviews, weekly wraps, went out to clubs. Apart from the radio on Saturday, we don’t hear boo from them.

Don’t get me wrong they do do a great job. But also make plenty of mistakes and some perplexing decisions.

why not try and get as many eyes on your comp as possible. Will only benefit them when it comes to finals and money in there pocket. M

They had a brilliant media team years ago, who did interviews, weekly wraps, went out to clubs. Apart from the radio on Saturday, we don’t hear boo from them.

Don’t get me wrong they do do a great job. But also make plenty of mistakes and some perplexing decisions.
Why did the teams want to come across? If you’re attracting clubs you are doing something right.

I agree though social media should be far more prevalent.

Could at least visit each club during football pre season for an interview.

More mistakes than positive moves

I agree though social media should be far more prevalent.

Could at least visit each club during football pre season for an interview.
Don't get me wrong, this would be great, but do other comps do this with their social media? Genuine question, I haven't seen it, but doesn't me it's not out there.

The Northern footy show lads are doing a great job, however I think I need to unfollow soon as my whole FB feed is now their video content, and it's a bit of a scatter gun approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from HS and as predicted.

AFL exploring new headgear, stand down time in landmark concussion crackdown in community football​

The AFL’s concussion crackdown could extend to community football with a landmark change being explored to make every player wear a helmet as well as a new stand down time.

All community footballers will stand down for a minimum 21 days in a landmark decision by the AFL to help combat concussion.
The elite level will retain its minimum 12-day stand down, but with a raft of improved monitoring.

“This new (21-day) protocol will apply for state football competitions (including the VFL and VFLW), elite pathway competitions (including the Coates Talent Leagues for boys and girls) and all community football competitions,’’ the AFL said.

It comes as community footballers might be required to wear helmets in the future in what would be another major play by the AFL.

Australian rules football had close to 530,000 registered participants in 2023.

At an AFLPA meeting about concussion with player managers and AFL medical staff on Wednesday, it was revealed the AFL was looking at trialling new headgear at community level this year.

If eventually adopted, all junior and senior players in metropolitan and country football leagues could be required to wear the AFL-endorsed headgear.

It would be a significant rule change because for 150 years players have played without helmets.

Concussion expert Alan Pearce was gobsmacked at the suggestion to endorse helmets.

“I’m just dismayed that they want to even try and explore this,” Pearce, a neurophysiologist, told this masthead.

“Having an AFL-endorsed helmet does that mean there’s a bit of a revenue source for them? I don’t know.

“Wearing a helmet isn’t going to protect from concussion, and we’ve got multiple, multiple studies – including studies from Monash University who are affiliated with the AFL – showing no difference in concussion rates in kids wearing helmets versus non-helmets.

“What are the ‘AFL concussion experts’ advising the AFL on the evidence about wearing helmets?

“There’s going to be this false presumption that wearing helmets will stop concussions, and the reality is that it doesn’t.”

Pearce said a Monash University study, co-authored by the AFL’s chief medical officer Michael Makdissi, found that “headgear was not associated with any reduced risk of concussion”.

In a day of announcements, the AFL’s general counsel Stephen Meade: “The AFL’s concussion guidelines are the most stringent concussion protocols in Australian sport both at a community and elite level and we are committed to continuing to take action to protect the safety of players at all levels of the game.”

The AFL stressed the 12-day protocol was the minimum days a player could return to play should they medically clear the 11 steps.

The league claimed 29 per cent of AFLW players and 24 per cent of AFL players who entered concussion protocols missed more than one match in 2023.

Meade said the Laws of the Game would continue to evolve to discourage high contact.

“The updated community guidelines represent a significant step in the AFL’s existing record of ongoing improvements to its concussion management strategy that reflect medical research and other learnings over time,” Meade said.

“We play a contact sport and there is always going to be risk … (but) we will continue to act to reduce and manage those risks, and there are also many very significant physical and mental health benefits of playing our great game.”

The 2024 concussion guidelines will take effect from Thursday night’s clash between Sydney and Melbourne at the SCG.

The day where a concussion occurs will be counted as day zero under the protocols.

The return-to-play program consists of three distinct stages – rest, recovery and graded return to training and play.

The AFL’s document states: “The updated guidelines insist on a minimum period of 24 hours (or longer) for each step of the progression and, if any symptoms recur during the graded return to training and play stage, the player athlete must go back to the previous symptom-free step.

“The guidelines also insist on an individualised approach to return to play where factors such as young age (i.e. 18 years or younger), where there is a history of learning disorders or mood disturbance that may impact on monitoring of recovery, or a history of multiple concussions, may necessitate a more cautious and conservative approach.

“The player must have medical assessment prior to being cleared to return to full contact training with the group and then a further medical assessment before being cleared to return to play.”

Might have to up the weeks a player gets for transgressions that cause concussion in the weeks leading up to or during finals - as a significant deterrent. Much like GF suspensions these days have double weighting in the AFL.

Chump

Might have to up the weeks a player gets for transgressions that cause concussion in the weeks leading up to or during finals - as a significant deterrent. Much like GF suspensions these days have double weighting in the AFL.

Chump
Going to be a lot of undiagnosed concussions this year.

Mandatory head wear sounds like it’s not far off.

Concussion expert Alan Pearce was gobsmacked at the suggestion to endorse helmets.

“I’m just dismayed that they want to even try and explore this,” Pearce, a neurophysiologist, told this masthead.

“Having an AFL-endorsed helmet does that mean there’s a bit of a revenue source for them? I don’t know.

“Wearing a helmet isn’t going to protect from concussion, and we’ve got multiple, multiple studies – including studies from Monash University who are affiliated with the AFL – showing no difference in concussion rates in kids wearing helmets versus non-helmets.

“What are the ‘AFL concussion experts’ advising the AFL on the evidence about wearing helmets?

“There’s going to be this false presumption that wearing helmets will stop concussions, and the reality is that it doesn’t.”

Pearce said a Monash University study, co-authored by the AFL’s chief medical officer Michael Makdissi, found that “headgear was not associated with any reduced risk of concussion”.

Bang on. It has been known since the 1980s that helmets won't solve the issue.

Concussion occurs when the brain hits the skull. Wearing a helmet in a collision will not stop that. For example, the many NFL players in America with CTE issues even though they have been wearing what is akin to motorcycle helmets for many decades. Cricketers such as Will Pucovski are subbed out of cricket matches due to concussion after being hit on the helmet, so even cricket helmets can't prevent concussion.

There is a quote from a video in the 1980s from a show called Crashes & Clashes (an SANFL show showing hard hits and bumps) where a doctor said that helmets are only good for protecting against lacerations and little more.

Helmets are not the key to all this - they are just a revenue earner for companies that make them.

When a player wearing a helmet is involved in a collision, their head will still jerk back or be knocked in a certain direction ... and it will still cause a concussion.

The only way to avoid concussion is for all the players to roll around inside Zorb balls so they can't get involved in physical clashes, but the game would look bloody stupid too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back