Adelaide Vs North - The start of their rebuilds

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Collingwood and several other teams along the way counter that out. Richmond won a flag before they landed Lynch. I'm not all that optimistic on Brown, I don't think he's a difference maker at this stage.

I'm willing to buy the argument that tall forwards are less important, and that they're risky at the top of the draft and the Phillips is just too good to pass up. But I still think most great sides have a home grown big man taken at the top of the draft (or would've been apart from father son). Hawkins, Riewoldt x 2, Trav Cloke, Josh Kennedy (traded early in unique circumstances), the brief moment of glory for Tom Boyd, Buddy/Roughy.

I'm certainly not knocking North for doing what they've done, I just imagine in an ideal world they'd have more than Larkey/Comben if they could.

Given our most pressing need is speed and midfield class, drafting a WA tall in McDonald would have been dumb imo, especially when we've got Larkey/Comben/Xerri

We've also got a good range of marking medium forwards in Ziebell, Zurhaar, Thomas, Garner and Taylor.

I reckon Cunnington will play a False Full Forward role a la Danger and Dusty lots too. Won us Rd1 last year doing exactly that.

Crows spine is looking awesome

Doedee McAsey
Worrell
Hateley
Thilthorpe
Himmelberg Fogarty.

Throw in OBrien Sholl Shoenberg etc.
Future looks bright.
You Saints picked up a solid defender in Tom Highmore. 193 cm tall defender.

I follow south Adelaide in the SANFL and I have seen him Play. He is a solid player

You Saints picked up a solid defender in Tom Highmore. 193 cm tall defender.

I follow south Adelaide in the SANFL and I have seen him Play. He is a solid player
Club is so impressed with how good Callum Wilkie turned out they are probably trying to double down on SANFL defenders.

Odd that James Gallagher seems to have better Intel on SANFL players than the Crows.

Given our most pressing need is speed and midfield class, drafting a WA tall in McDonald would have been dumb imo, especially when we've got Larkey/Comben/Xerri

We've also got a good range of marking medium forwards in Ziebell, Zurhaar, Thomas, Garner and Taylor.

I reckon Cunnington will play a False Full Forward role a la Danger and Dusty lots too. Won us Rd1 last year doing exactly that.
Comben/Larkey fwd combo looks very promising if u can keep Comben on the park.

Comben/Larkey fwd combo looks very promising if u can keep Comben on the park.

THe draft live show was saying comben is now being trained as key defender to be eventually partnered with Mackay.

As to another big key forward, that's when you throw big bag of cash for. The kelly, martin, de goey, these are like the passing cloud and not the divine wind.

Club is so impressed with how good Callum Wilkie turned out they are probably trying to double down on SANFL defenders.

Odd that James Gallagher seems to have better Intel on SANFL players than the Crows.
it's been a weird year though. Not surprisingly, a lot of SANFL talent was picked up.

The VFL was cancelled half way into the season.

WAFL only had a partial season. 9 teams but each team played each other once.

In the SANFL it was only 8 teams this season. So each side played each other twice. So that was 14 games.

So at least of all the state league comps out side the AFL, the SANFL was the closest to have a full and fair season.

And because they were given a fair amount of games, I am not surprised a lot of players from the SANFL got picked up.

The crows decided to use all their picks on SANFL players this season. I think they have enough of recruiting Victorians and having them flee the club and return home to Victoria 2-5 years after being drafted by the crows.

Agreed. However, if we don't fix our dysfunctional midfield, the forward line is irrelevant.
I would think that North Melbourne FC gets a better short term boost from a gun midfielder playing all season and getting a rising star, daring to dream about what he could be, than if they pick up a key forward who could spend a year being shoved aside by man sized men - burning his confidence before he grows into his body and wrecks them.

Both teams look on track to complete a successful rebuild. Doesn’t look like either of them will spend a long time down the bottom. Adelaide probably need more contested mids and maybe one more KPD and North need more KPPs. I think both would benefit from at least another year at the bottom though to get needs filled by top-end quality.

I would think that North Melbourne FC gets a better short term boost from a gun midfielder playing all season and getting a rising star, daring to dream about what he could be, than if they pick up a key forward who could spend a year being shoved aside by man sized men - burning his confidence before he grows into his body and wrecks them.

This is perfect analysis.

Both teams look on track to complete a successful rebuild. Doesn’t look like either of them will spend a long time down the bottom. Adelaide probably need more contested mids and maybe one more KPD and North need more KPPs. I think both would benefit from at least another year at the bottom though to get needs filled by top-end quality.
Without wanting to put too fine a point on it, Adelaide would have Jason Horne absolutely in its sights for 2021 draft. I think we are still going to be a bottom 4 club next year whilst the youngsters get more game time and experience and a top 4 pick might be the ticket considering there are a few Vic mids that are projected to be right up there next year. IF..and it is an if, we could add Horne to the mids we have, then he will be the absolute A grader to push the club forward in the engine room

At this stage, I feel there is a higher upside/ceiling to North's list and kids than the Crows.

But as we talked about Geelong and St Kilda in the earlier 00s as to which team would end up being the more successful/win flags, I thought the Saints would be, so I cannot be totally sure either way.

I definitely would have either of their lists going forwards than Hawthorn, which is a mess/all over the shop, although they drafted a ripper in that Denver lad.

North paying the price for coach Scott’s topping up strategy without significant achievement to show for it.

They are pretty much rock bottom right now. Hopefully they don’t take any short cuts and are back with a powerhouse side in a few years time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Collingwood and several other teams along the way counter that out. Richmond won a flag before they landed Lynch. I'm not all that optimistic on Brown, I don't think he's a difference maker at this stage.

I'm willing to buy the argument that tall forwards are less important, and that they're risky at the top of the draft and the Phillips is just too good to pass up. But I still think most great sides have a home grown big man taken at the top of the draft (or would've been apart from father son). Hawkins, Riewoldt x 2, Trav Cloke, Josh Kennedy (traded early in unique circumstances), the brief moment of glory for Tom Boyd, Buddy/Roughy.

I'm certainly not knocking North for doing what they've done, I just imagine in an ideal world they'd have more than Larkey/Comben if they could.

Comben is a ruckman, the worst way to develop a ruckman is to play him as a key forward. This ****ed up Hale and Boyd's career. In hale's case, he got traded out to hawthorn revived his career.

When you don't have a key forward, its best not to force one to play in that position.

North paying the price for coach Scott’s topping up strategy without significant achievement to show for it.

They are pretty much rock bottom right now. Hopefully they don’t take any short cuts and are back with a powerhouse side in a few years time.

How in the hell are we rock bottom?

At this stage, I feel there is a higher upside/ceiling to North's list and kids than the Crows.

But as we talked about Geelong and St Kilda in the earlier 00s as to which team would end up being the more successful/win flags, I thought the Saints would be, so I cannot be totally sure either way.

I definitely would have either of their lists going forwards than Hawthorn, which is a mess/all over the shop, although they drafted a ripper in that Denver lad.

It's not the high end talents that determines success but the quality of the mid-tier. Us roos right now already have more high end talent than richmond did in 2010 but our midtier talents, i am not too sure, certainly a few notches below. Multiple premiership winners have the best bottom 6 players....

How in the hell are we rock bottom?

ladder position wise, in terms of finance, we are actually at our strongest in a few generations. Also the new afl landscape would benefit us in that it hammers everyone else. We've been paying minimum cap due to debt, that has turned out to be a blessing in disguise...

Coach Scott is probably the answer to your question.

Incorrect, his middling came at a time of great financial stress so bottoming out anytime between 2010 and 2019 might have actually have pushed AFL to get us to relcate. Now that we have pushed through the most difficult time, the debt is nearly gone and also this comes at a time when the Arden precint is being redeveoped to the tune of 7 billion. We stand to reap a lot of monetary and locational benefit simply due to being at the center of the new mini cbd. Scott did the job best suited for that period of time.

Incorrect, his middling came at a time of great financial stress so bottoming out anytime between 2010 and 2019 might have actually have pushed AFL to get us to relcate. Now that we have pushed through the most difficult time, the debt is nearly gone and also this comes at a time when the Arden precint is being redeveoped to the tune of 7 billion. We stand to reap a lot of monetary and locational benefit simply due to being at the center of the new mini cbd. Scott did the job best suited for that period of time.
You are assuming you couldn’t bottom out because of your financial situation. This may or may not be true.

It also may or may not be true that the coach wanted to continue to push for success and may have misread the talent on his list.

I believe the latter, you the former.

The facts are that Coach Scott topped up to contend during this time (and never achieved significant success) and now the team is bottoming out.

You are entitled to your view of Scott and his success(?) during the 10 years he was at the helm. I believe the clubs middling strategy during the latter part of his reign prolonged your side bottoming out.

You are assuming you couldn’t bottom out because of your financial situation. This may or may not be true.

It also may or may not be true that the coach wanted to continue to push for success and may have misread the talent on his list.

I believe the latter, you the former.

The facts are that Coach Scott topped up to contend during this time (and never achieved significant success) and now the team is bottoming out.

You are entitled to your view of Scott and his success(?) during the 10 years he was at the helm. I believe the clubs middling strategy during the latter part of his reign prolonged your side bottoming out.

this isn’t a matter of belief, look at the facts. North bottoming today doesn’t have same adverse outcome as in the early parts of 2010s due to finance, that’s why the club is allowing it to happen. Ironically, our worst year happened to have netted us the Brest récrits by far.l.l

this isn’t a matter of belief, look at the facts. North bottoming today doesn’t have same adverse outcome as in the early parts of 2010s due to finance, that’s why the club is allowing it to happen. Ironically, our worst year happened to have netted us the Brest récrits by far.l.l
Where have the facts been recorded that if the club bottomed out in the middle of last decade they would have folded or merged? I feel like I’ve missed a key piece of reporting here.

My view is that Coach Scott went all out for a flag mistakenly believing the list was much better than what it was. Then when it was obvious that he couldn’t sustain this, he bailed and handed the keys to Rhys Shaw.

As I said I might have missed some communication from the AFL or North at the time saying they couldn’t afford to bottom out. But if you have evidence to these facts you mentioned, that will help.

Where have the facts been recorded that if the club bottomed out in the middle of last decade they would have folded or merged? I feel like I’ve missed a key piece of reporting here.

My view is that Coach Scott went all out for a flag mistakenly believing the list was much better than what it was. Then when it was obvious that he couldn’t sustain this, he bailed and handed the keys to Rhys Shaw.

As I said I might have missed some communication from the AFL or North at the time saying they couldn’t afford to bottom out. But if you have evidence to these facts you mentioned, that will help.

This is partially true, early in 2019 there was a plan Scott constructed to have 6 first rounders between 2019-2020 (because he realised the list was incapable of winning a flag) which got him sacked.

On another note

Our finacial situation doesn't matter anymore and in a season where we were averaging only 1000 at our games we made a profit, surely we'll make more playing in front of 15,000 in Docklands at the minimum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back