Adelaide Vs North - The start of their rebuilds

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd put up a best 22 and if someone puts up North's for 2021? Just to have a look now we lists are done!

FB: Brown - McAsey - Doedee
HB: McPherson - Talia - Smith

C: O'Brien - Sloane - Laird
Milera - Crouch - Scholl

HF: Jones - Fogerty - McHenry
FF: Schoenberg - McAdam - Walker

Lynch/Hately/Pedlar/Himmelberg

EMG: Hamill, Stenlge, Berry, Seedsman

Tex only playes for experience. Thilthorpe will.get games but I wouldn't think at Himmelberg or Fogs expense? Murphy will get games. Hamill one of the emergencies. Schoenberg starts forward of centre mostly but expecting Stenlge to play maybe for McHenry if he doesn't improve sharply! Unsure where Hinge sits atm, should be competing for games. Expect to see Berry, Pedlar, Cook, Rowley all get some games. Also Warrell and Butts to get game time. Himmelberg and Thilthorpe to back up ruck, God knows if O'Brien goes down! Not expecting to see much of Mackay or Seedsman, Lynch could fall into that category

In all I think North do have better top end young talent but let's see what Thilthorpe, Pedlar, McAsey, Schoenberg, McPherson, Jones, the Fog, Hamill, Berry, Scholl and Hately can do next 24 months. Not forgetting Milera but a tad older. I think he will be our best player after Sloane if, IF he stays fit. Play him in the guts! Also want to mention McAdam will be a star! But he's not young either.

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd say the best 22 can vary, especially since there's gonna be players moving around the midfield and forward line for North, but assuming we try to pump games into the kids I reckon it could look somewhere along the lines of this:

FB: Corr - Mckay - Hayden
HB McDonald - Tarrant - Perez

C: Stephenson - LDU - Polec
R: Goldstein - Cunnington - Simpkin

HF: Thomas - Comben - Taylor
FF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Garner

I: Phillips - Anderson - Xerri - Young

E: Powell - Dumont - J. Walker - Atley

Last edited:
I’d go Garner and Ziebell in for ford and Xerri
Ziebell is 100% going to be there

and would go Bonar over young
"Assuming we pump games into the kids". I understand your POV but I think Ziebell's onfield performances will see him lose captaincy and as a result have a lower chance of being selected, I just feel this season has told me that he's cooked. Garner is someone that just hasn't really been able to reach his full potential IMO, but will put him in over Ford now (I just forgot about him if I'm being honest) and Bonar vs Young seems to be a close one and could be either way.

Thought I'd put up a best 22 and if someone puts up North's for 2021? Just to have a look now we lists are done!

FB: Brown - McAsey - Doedee
HB: McPherson - Talia - Smith

C: O'Brien - Sloane - Laird
Milera - Crouch - Scholl

HF: Jones - Fogerty - McHenry
FF: Schoenberg - McAdam - Walker

Lynch/Hately/Pedlar/Himmelberg

EMG: Hamill, Stenlge, Berry, Seedsman

Tex only playes for experience. Thilthorpe will.get games but I wouldn't think at Himmelberg or Fogs expense? Murphy will get games. Hamill one of the emergencies. Schoenberg starts forward of centre mostly but expecting Stenlge to play maybe for McHenry if he doesn't improve sharply! Unsure where Hinge sits atm, should be competing for games. Expect to see Berry, Pedlar, Cook, Rowley all get some games. Also Warrell and Butts to get game time. Himmelberg and Thilthorpe to back up ruck, God knows if O'Brien goes down! Not expecting to see much of Mackay or Seedsman, Lynch could fall into that category

In all I think North do have better top end young talent but let's see what Thilthorpe, Pedlar, McAsey, Schoenberg, McPherson, Jones, the Fog, Hamill, Berry, Scholl and Hately can do next 24 months. Not forgetting Milera but a tad older. I think he will be our best player after Sloane if, IF he stays fit. Play him in the guts! Also want to mention McAdam will be a star! But he's not young either.

No offense, cannot see that squad winning more than 4 games next year.

No offense, cannot see that squad winning more than 4 games next year.
I will disagree. We won three games easily in the end. Adding to the team that won some top talent and although we lose a bit I'm Crouch Hately is more than capable.

It's the improvement that makes me suspect we can win more than four, although that's probably a fair assessment from outside. Scholl, Himmelberg, McAdam, Schoenberg, McPherson, Chace Jones, Milera, Fogerty, Hately, Stenlge, Hamill, O'Brien, McAsey, Plus all that new talent. These players mentioned I actually expect to really improve over summer! All of them have upside. Should that happen, although lacking experience, crows can and imo.should win more than five games

Interesting to compare post draft.

North now have the top end midfield talent and depth locked up, but as much as they rightly rate Larkey and have hopes for Comben I'm sure they'd love a key forward.

Adelaide add a key forward and midfield depth, but Pedlar and Berry - whilst handy and likely to suit what Nicks wants to do - potentially add to a midfield group that might lack the top end talent of a Phillips, Simpkin or LDU.

key forwards can come later and that's when you throw big bag of money. Big names won't come unless all the pieces are together, for once this might actually happen...

key forwards can come later and that's when you throw big bag of money. Big names won't come unless all the pieces are together, for once this might actually happen...
Thought it is considered you generally need to draft your talls first because they take longer to develop.

Thought it is considered you generally need to draft your talls first because they take longer to develop.
Bingo there's 2 main options of going a mainly youth rebuild.

As you suggested, get the KPPS in the 1st year then the mids in the 2nd year. Most teams would fill the KPPS stocks by getting at least 1 kpf-ruck like the crows did getting Riley Thilthorpe and get a CHF CHB Swingman like Freo did in 2016 getting Brennan Cox.

Option 2 is start at the back and work your way at the front. So the 1st year get 2 tall defenders and 2 rucks in which one is a kpf-ruck. Then in the 2nd year get 2 kpfs in which one is a CHF CHB Swingman.

Oh and by the way.... I posted on the crows board they nailed their pics.

Regardless on who pick 1 and 11 was at the crows, you got a gun player in Brayden cook. I'm a south Adelaide fan in the SANFL and I have seen him play too. He will be a great pick up.

Brad Rowe is a solid pick up too. Saw him tear up south Adelaide in the preliminary final

As you suggested, get the KPPS in the 1st year then the mids in the 2nd year. Most teams would fill the KPPS stocks by getting at least 1 kpf-ruck like the crows did getting Riley Thilthorpe and get a CHF CHB Swingman like Freo did in 2016 getting Brennan Cox.

Option 2 is start at the back and work your way at the front. So the 1st year get 2 tall defenders and 2 rucks in which one is a kpf-ruck. Then in the 2nd year get 2 kpfs in which one is a CHF CHB Swingman.
We started the rebuild last year drafting 2 key position players who can both swing back/forward... so we now have a good group of young talls...

Thilthorpe (18)
McAsey (20)
Worrell (20)
Fogarty (21)
Butts (21)
Himmelberg (22)

We have our youngest list since inception... so yes we are a few years off.

Ps. Next year is apparently the midfield draft so I'm sure that will be our priority.

Last edited:

Yes that is true............if we are developing our own key forward. Larkey is more than good enough. Premierships are won by teams with the superior running power. The Ben Browns, Camerons, Jarrad Waites, Hogans will come and getting them would only take a big bag of money. Of course, the other pieces must be in place before you throw the cash at player.

This entire thread is a misnomer. THere is no such thing as rebuild, to talk rebuild is to accept failure. Not sure about other teams, we north are not rebuilding. We are getting the pieces together. Getting stephenson has been a masterstroke, you are looking at dual norm smith medallist. The bookends are settled. Phillips and Powell completes the midfield. Need to now work on dealing with the bottom 6 players.

I’m not sure I agree with that. It seems a restrictive way of getting talent. Like you’re filling a quota.

Also I genuinely believe you don’t even always go the best “talent”. Sometimes you need to pick the best fit for the club. Infact both north and Adelaide may have done just that in this draft. For reasons other than talent north probably went Phillips over Hollands. Like the crows may have done with Thilthorpe over McDonald. But don’t get me wrong, both calls were correct imo.

Assuming north get a top 5 pick next year, and call me delusional but that’s not gaurunteed, I hope we go best available mid, ideally someone that compliments the existing 3 we have.

Then commence operation height via trade and free agency from 2022. If we are lucky we already have 4 best 22 KPP players aged 19-22. So we might only need one or two. It doesn’t make sense to try and luck out in the draft. Footy is leaning away from height anyway imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t swap any of those crows players for LDU, Stephenson, Tarryn Thomas, Curtis Taylor, Jy Simpkin, Cam zurhaar or nick Larkey
I don't know about North. But crows recruited well in this draft.

I’m not sure I agree with that. It seems a restrictive way of getting talent. Like you’re filling a quota.

Also I genuinely believe you don’t even always go the best “talent”. Sometimes you need to pick the best fit for the club. Infact both north and Adelaide may have done just that in this draft. For reasons other than talent north probably went Phillips over Hollands. Like the crows may have done with Thilthorpe over McDonald. But don’t get me wrong, both calls were correct imo.

Assuming north get a top 5 pick next year, and call me delusional but that’s not gaurunteed, I hope we go best available mid, ideally someone that compliments the existing 3 we have.

Then commence operation height via trade and free agency from 2022. If we are lucky we already have 4 best 22 KPP players aged 19-22. So we might only need one or two. It doesn’t make sense to try and luck out in the draft. Footy is leaning away from height anyway imo.
Well I am not saying I am right or wrong. Just my opinion. North recruited a few mids. I expected them to use one of their 1st rounders to get a KPF to be honest.

Also congrats on getting Phoenix Spencer. I do live in SA and I am a South Adelaide Panthers fan in the SANFL.

Glad a few south Adelaide guys got picked

Well I am not saying I am right or wrong. Just my opinion. North recruited a few mids. I expected them to use one of their 1st rounders to get a KPF to be honest.

Also congrats on getting Phoenix Spencer. I do live in SA and I am a South Adelaide Panthers fan in the SANFL.

Glad a few south Adelaide guys got picked

Your no South Adelaide fan

Unless Freo are grabbing South Freo lads the rest of the world can piss right off

Like your jumpers though , especially the women’s ones

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Your no South Adelaide fan

Unless Freo are grabbing South Freo lads the rest of the world can piss right off

Like your jumpers though , especially the women’s ones

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Well yeah I am A Freo supporter and Follow both South Freo and Peel in the WAFL.

I do live in the Port Adelaide area. Yet follow South Adelaide in the SANFL.

I actually go to South Adelaides home games in Noarlunga oval. Easy to get to by train though.

Take the train from Port Adelaide to the Adelaide CBD. Thats a 25-30 minute train ride. then take the Seaford train line to Noarlunga. Takes 50 minutes to go from the city to Noarlunga.

Interesting to compare post draft.

North now have the top end midfield talent and depth locked up, but as much as they rightly rate Larkey and have hopes for Comben I'm sure they'd love a key forward.

Adelaide add a key forward and midfield depth, but Pedlar and Berry - whilst handy and likely to suit what Nicks wants to do - potentially add to a midfield group that might lack the top end talent of a Phillips, Simpkin or LDU.

As you guys and Richmond show, they can be traded for/acquired via FA more easily than drafted and developed imo.

I'd say the best 22 can vary, especially since there's gonna be players moving around the midfield and forward line for North, but assuming we try to pump games into the kids I reckon it could look somewhere along the lines of this:

FB: Corr - Mckay - Hayden
HB McDonald - Tarrant - Perez

C: Stephenson - LDU - Polec
R: Goldstein - Cunnington - Simpkin

HF: Thomas - Comben - Taylor
FF: Zurhaar - Larkey - Garner

I: Phillips - Anderson - Xerri - Young

E: Powell - Dumont - J. Walker - Atley

Poor old captain can't get a game.

As you guys and Richmond show, they can be traded for/acquired via FA more easily than drafted and developed imo.
I'd say Collingwood and several other teams along the way counter that out. Richmond won a flag before they landed Lynch. I'm not all that optimistic on Brown, I don't think he's a difference maker at this stage.

I'm willing to buy the argument that tall forwards are less important, and that they're risky at the top of the draft and the Phillips is just too good to pass up. But I still think most great sides have a home grown big man taken at the top of the draft (or would've been apart from father son). Hawkins, Riewoldt x 2, Trav Cloke, Josh Kennedy (traded early in unique circumstances), the brief moment of glory for Tom Boyd, Buddy/Roughy.

I'm certainly not knocking North for doing what they've done, I just imagine in an ideal world they'd have more than Larkey/Comben if they could.

I'd say Collingwood and several other teams along the way counter that out. Richmond won a flag before they landed Lynch. I'm not all that optimistic on Brown, I don't think he's a difference maker at this stage.

I'm willing to buy the argument that tall forwards are less important, and that they're risky at the top of the draft and the Phillips is just too good to pass up. But I still think most great sides have a home grown big man taken at the top of the draft (or would've been apart from father son). Hawkins, Riewoldt x 2, Trav Cloke, Josh Kennedy (traded early in unique circumstances), the brief moment of glory for Tom Boyd, Buddy/Roughy.

I'm certainly not knocking North for doing what they've done, I just imagine in an ideal world they'd have more than Larkey/Comben if they could.

Agreed. However, if we don't fix our dysfunctional midfield, the forward line is irrelevant.

Already said it I reckon Ziebell's 2020 onfield performances will see him lose the captaincy, most likely to either Simpkin or McDonald

Doubt they make switch this year. If he's fit he's still best 22. I like the backline suggestion made by Noble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back