Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be a shootout. Ross's game vs Brisbane at half forward was probably better than any game I can remember from Graham at half forward. 23 disposals and 8 marks and a shed load of score/goal involvements.

Graham has played a few good games in the guts (not many) however. I like Graham when he is fit, he does a power of work, but still Ross after playing wing covers the ground well now also, and has a few more tricks than Graham.

Pressure for spots is great, an a breathe of fresh air after the last few years of pencilled in positions.
For sure. Keen to see how Graham goes with a full pre-season for a change.

Might be a shootout. Ross's game vs Brisbane at half forward was probably better than any game I can remember from Graham at half forward. 23 disposals and 8 marks and a shed load of score/goal involvements.

Graham has played a few good games in the guts (not many) however. I like Graham when he is fit, he does a power of work, but still Ross after playing wing covers the ground well now also, and has a few more tricks than Graham.

Pressure for spots is great, an a breathe of fresh air after the last few years of pencilled in positions.

In 2019 v Carlton Jack Graham had a massive game where he recorded a player rating of 30.2. 22 disposals(19 of those kicks), 6 contested, 73% efficiency, 590m gained, 4 goals and 3 goal assists amongst 9 score involvements and 14 tackles. He has played 4 other matches with player ratings 20 or above, and also turned in the 18.3 rating in the 2017 GF.

Ross is a couple of years younger of course, but only has one performance over a player rating of 20, v Hawks in 2023. He rated 22.0 in that match. Ross had an encouraging patch late season 2023 where he started to get his tackle count up a bit, so hopefully he builds on that.

With a good pre-season so far, hopefully Graham is on track to return to his 2021 trajectory, where we can see his average player rating had risen to around 11, before sliding back closer to 9 the last 2 seasons. It's good to have these type of players fighting for positions, but for mine Graham's best s better than the best we have seen from Ross. It is just that we don't notice as much of what Graham does when watching casually.

In 2019 v Carlton Jack Graham had a massive game where he recorded a player rating of 30.2. 22 disposals(19 of those kicks), 6 contested, 73% efficiency, 590m gained, 4 goals and 3 goal assists amongst 9 score involvements and 14 tackles. He has played 4 other matches with player ratings 20 or above, and also turned in the 18.3 rating in the 2017 GF.

Ross is a couple of years younger of course, but only has one performance over a player rating of 20, v Hawks in 2023. He rated 22.0 in that match. Ross had an encouraging patch late season 2023 where he started to get his tackle count up a bit, so hopefully he builds on that.

With a good pre-season so far, hopefully Graham is on track to return to his 2021 trajectory, where we can see his average player rating had risen to around 11, before sliding back closer to 9 the last 2 seasons. It's good to have these type of players fighting for positions, but for mine Graham's best s better than the best we have seen from Ross. It is just that we don't notice as much of what Graham does when watching casually.
As I said, as a half forward, the games you listed Graham was playing midfield. He could never entrench himself as a mid due to Dusty, Cotch, Edwards, Prestia and more recently Taranto, Bolton and Hopper. Same could be said for Ross, both he and Graham have no point of difference, unlike Bolton and Dow.

We will see how it pans out this year. Graham is fit and when fit a good player normally. Ross is getting better but has not secured a spot really. He was good on the wing but not sure we can't do better out there. Both of them have to lift in a year when we have to see how good some of our young players will be.

As I said, as a half forward, the games you listed he was playing midfield. He could never entrench himself as a mid due to Dusty, Cotch, Edwards, Prestia and more recently Taranto, Bolton and Hopper. Same could be said for Ross, both he and Graham have no point of difference, unlike Bolton and Dow.

We will see how it pans out this year. Graham is fit and when fit a good player normally. Ross is getting better but has not secured a spot really. He was good on the wing but not sure we can't do better out there. Both of them have to lift in a year when we have to see how good some of our young players will be.

If he was playing midfield his 4 goals + 3 goal assists is a near world record. He spent a lot of that game forward.

Graham for mine has a big point of difference. He would be the best contest to contest pressure and tackling player at the club who is not a marquee wage midfielder. And in Graham you get this in a player who is a very decent kick. It is not a common combination of traits in an AFL player. Sure he has some weaknesses, but he definitely has a point of difference.

Ross to me is showing a nice curve, but is a very generic player.

If he was playing midfield his 4 goals + 3 goal assists is a near world record. He spent a lot of that game forward.

Graham for mine has a big point of difference. He would be the best contest to contest pressure and tackling player at the club who is not a marquee wage midfielder. And in Graham you get this in a player who is a very decent kick. It is not a common combination of traits in an AFL player. Sure he has some weaknesses, but he definitely has a point of difference.

It would be good to know how hindered Graham was last year with that toe issue.

Wonder if it also made a difference to his kicking
I remember reading at some point our forwards used to really rate his kicking into 50 and that connection really lacked last year

If you look at his career, it seemed to follow an expected path of improvement up to the age of 23 in 2021. Then the next 2 years when he obviously had badly interrupted pre-seasons his performance waned. So there is every chance if he is 100% right this year of a big pre-season he will be back to his initial trajectory. And he should really be at his absolute peak this year as a 26yo.

To me Graham is a very safe kick, always straight 30-40m and hits a target because they are never difficult targets. Jack made mention of that once I remember. Ross after a a good start, lost his confidence and his kicking. Since he has got some of that confidence back is a good kick now. He can kick it 50+ and he picks out the less obvious more ambitious targets.

To me Ross is far better with ball in hand because when he gets it he holds on to it and takes his time using it. Graham is a much more straight line run and receive and run again player. He is elite at running from contest to contest. I like Ross type creative players, just hoping he gets the chance to show his worth and continues to improve. I can't see Graham having a worse year than the last two, so who knows who, maybe they both play.

Jack Ross is the next Shaun grigg ….. a wingmen who dosent really have pace but uses his footy smarts to be in the right places at the right time #j#jackross2024

Jack Ross is the next Shaun grigg ….. a wingmen who dosent really have pace but uses his footy smarts to be in the right places at the right time #j#jackross2024
Here's hoping. I like what Ross brings. But his natural spot is already occupied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's hoping. I like what Ross brings. But his natural spot is already occupied.
However, if the coach (and staff) are looking to develop a Cameron Ling type role (medium level tag that has offensive threat) as part of their new strategy, the Jack is in that conversation.

However, if the coach (and staff) are looking to develop a Cameron Ling type role (medium level tag that has offensive threat) as part of their new strategy, the Jack is in that conversation.
Ross is developing a really good ability to play across roles. He should have a good AFL career from here on in.

Carlton were worst than shit then and we were at our peak all over the park. Dumb stats as usual.

Carlton were worst than s**t then and we were at our peak all over the park. Dumb stats as usual.

Correction, Carlton had a 7-15 record and over 84% in 2019. There have been a lot of worse teams than that. We only beat them by 28 points in the mach in question, and they only lost 5 matches by more than that for the whole season. Without Graham's superb performance in that match the game could well have run close.

506 times an individual played a match against Carlton in 2019. Do you know how many of them rated higher than JGTI's 30.2 against them?

One.

we all know that Jack Graham has powerful running ability and is a good link up player when fully fit.....but seriously has anyone ever seen Jack Graham take a strong overhead mark, Ross, McIntosh and Pickett are certainly better in that overhead area.

Last edited:
Correction, Carlton had a 7-15 record and over 84% in 2019. There have been a lot of worse teams than that. We only beat them by 28 points in the mach in question, and they only lost 5 matches by more than that for the whole season. Without Graham's superb performance in that match the game could well have run close.

506 times an individual played a match against Carlton in 2019. Do you know how many of them rated higher than JGTI's 30.2 against them?

One.
They were rubbish and we were at our peak. Stop the nonsense as we would've won that game with or without him. It was a practice match.

Last edited:
we all know that Jack Graham has powerful running ability and is a good link up player when fully fit.....but seriously has anyone ever seen Jack Graham take a strong overhead mark, Ross, McIntosh and Pickett are certainly better in that overhead area.
Agree, he is more of a lead up option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back