Player Watch #37: Kade "The People's Chin" Chandler

Remove this Banner Ad

Chandler is significantly better than Bedford, at this stage. Chandler has a level of poise that all small forwards need. Kozzie has it, Cyril had it in spades - not comparing him to either of then though. His work rate is immense, and he wills himself to contests in a way that I never saw Bedford do. How many times last year did Toby kick a goal or two in the first, usually very well taken half chances, and then not be seen again? At least a couple. I also didn't think Chandler had much to his game, but this is the perfect example of why "successful" clubs stay successful despite the ebbs and flows of equalisation. You take likely kids with unlikely picks, and you work with them for years at VFL level. Doesn't always work, but Geelong and Sydney have a high success rate and they're the two most consistent sides of the century. I was concerned we weren't doing that last year, we were playing far too safe with the kids, but they've thrown them in now and they're swimming not sinking. Looking forward to Howes getting a go at some stage too.

We clearly needed some new blood in the second half of last year, who knows, flag could have been there for the taking... Goody got stupid stubborn.. And its not like Chandler is an 18 yo. Hes been banging the door down for a couple of years now.

We clearly needed some new blood in the second half of last year, who knows, flag could have been there for the taking... Goody got stupid stubborn.. And its not like Chandler is an 18 yo. Hes been banging the door down for a couple of years now.
Nah I don't reckon, the whole team stopped after half time in every game basically after round 10. Handful of kids wouldn't have changed that last year. The whole team was struggling.

The vision behind the goals of his running to get on the end of the Hunter kick is fantastic.

Ran out of breath just watching that run.

I must admit I was sceptical he could make it, wasn't really impressed when he came into the side. Was a bit unlucky to get suspended for a tackle which wasn't even a sling just a real unlucky footy incident. Anyway I know you've been a chandler fan for a while so kudos to you, he looks good.

Ran out of breath just watching that run.

I must admit I was sceptical he could make it, wasn't really impressed when he came into the side. Was a bit unlucky to get suspended for a tackle which wasn't even a sling just a real unlucky footy incident. Anyway I know you've been a chandler fan for a while so kudos to you, he looks good.

I started being a believer (a bit of one) when he appeared on the Gus and Gawn show last year. I was really impressed by the determination he showed when he talked and I think Gawn made a joke at him but he stood up for himself very well.

If he can keep doing what he is doing then that means more midfield time for Kozzi and a part of the puzzle is solved when it comes to winning the GF this year.

We really should be keeping him, McVee and JVR in the 22 now every week. All 3 look like they belong. Keep pumping games into them. I reckon Howes is the other one who just looks like a player. Maybe he takes Sparrow's spot, but he'd be the other one I'd be pumping games into. Sparrow and JJ are just meh players. JJ was stiff to miss this week, but Howes looks more damaging tbh. Hopefully his body holds up as i reckon JJ moves on to another team next season. He's going to struggle getting a game in this side next couple of years.

We really should be keeping him, McVee and JVR in the 22 now every week. All 3 look like they belong. Keep pumping games into them. I reckon Howes is the other one who just looks like a player. Maybe he takes Sparrow's spot, but he'd be the other one I'd be pumping games into. Sparrow and JJ are just meh players. JJ was stiff to miss this week, but Howes looks more damaging tbh. Hopefully his body holds up as i reckon JJ moves on to another team next season. He's going to struggle getting a game in this side next couple of years.
I think JJ could fill Harmes' spot as a more defence focused mid who can still get the ball himself. He's not likely to be a star but can do the boring stuff to let the others shine.

I also would like to see Howes at some point but I do like Tom Sparrow. He just needs to take his 15 touches up to 18-19.

KC, that little Ray of Sunshine... ;)

Begs the question, what is his monika.?

could it be Ray.... or perhaps just Sunshine.? or Sunshine-Kid.?
This is not bad actually!

I too asked the question re: monikors, and the responses were pretty good, but my favourite nickname that was proffered was “Kade Chandler”.

Unfortunately, the commentators in my head found Kade “Kade Chandler” Chandler a little unweildy, so they now refer to him as “AKA” or “also known as” (3 words, but only four sylables), as in “Kade Chandler, also known as Kade ‘Kade Chandler’ Chandler”, I think this works for me too because he has lots of different nicknames.

YMMV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many kids weren't fully ready last year; and the team was hellbent on the same game-style.

Kick up the line slowly, from fullback. Teams crowded us on the safe side of the field. Not enough switching the footy.

Lever... I'm pointing the bone at YOU.

... and please stop dropping the pill at your ankles, when tackled.
images

Last edited:
Too many kids weren't fully ready last year; and the team was hellbent on the same game-style.

Kick up the line slowly, from fullback. Teams crowded us on the safe side of the field. Not enough switching the footy.

Lever... I'm pointing the bone at YOU.
No need to talk about your bone when the kids aren't ready, SH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back