Resource 2024 Squad Selection & Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratings updated after Round 10.

After a stellar match against North Melbourne with 45 disposals, 22 contested possessions, 13 clearances, 13 inside 50s and over 600 metres gained, C.Oliver moves further ahead of the rest of the competition.

As for West Coast, small gains are made as the best available team improves to an F rating.

Squad Selection:

Round 11 (vs Western Bulldogs @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

2022-R11-WCE-Selection.png

Two changes for this week's version of the train wreck that is 2022.

Kennedy and Petrevski-Seton return at the expense of Dixon and Naish.

Hough is promoted into the starting lineup, whilst Rotham finds himself relegated as the substitute.

The selected squad comes in at F. Green shoots perhaps for the second half of the season.

Squad Selection:

Round 12 (vs Adelaide Crows @ Adelaide Oval)

2022-R12-WCE-Selection.png

Three changes for this weeks match to prevent equalling the club record for consecutive losses.

Hurn returns from injury for Jones who has been ineffectual in defence.

Foley comes in as a last minute replacement for McGovern, who has been ruled late.

Naish replaces fellow Hip-E exile Rotham as the substitute.

Record-breaking stuff in the making here.

Squad Selection:

Round 14 (vs Geelong Cats @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

2022-R14-WCE-Selection.png

After the bye we have changes to more than a third of the squad once again.

Premiership players McGovern, Yeo, Sheed and Rioli make returns in addition to Petruccelle, Jones and Bazzo who will make his debut.

On the way out are Kelly, Witherden, Petrevski-Seton, H.Edwards, Foley, Winder and last week's substitute Naish.

Clark, after going into double figures in tackles last week, is demoted to the substitute.

Playing at home, the club is paying $8 odds to prevent the outright worst losing streak in its history from occurring.

How far things have fallen.

Hello Dylan82 , can you make Yeo a defender? Please

He already is, as a result of his pre-2018 days.

His rating in defence is currently poor however as he hasn't been playing down there, accumulating "defensive" stats until today's match against Geelong.

It will be interesting to see how much it leaps up once Round 14 has been processed.

Squad Selection:

Round 15 (vs Essendon Bombers @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

2022-R15-WCE-Selection.png

This was the selection for Friday night's encouraging victory over the Bombers.

Three changes to the selected squad of 22 - McGovern and Sheed out with injury (Sheed worryingly re-injured after playing just a single game), and Nelson omitted.

Coming in are Kelly, Ryan and Rotham.

Witherden replaces Clark as the substitute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ratings updated after Round 15.

T.Stewart's time at the top looks shaky with a lengthy suspension coming.

With many West Coast players recently shifting positions, their ratings are likely to be appear lower than expected until the majority of games they are rated by fall under the position they are currently playing in.

Squad Selection:

Round 16 (vs Richmond Tigers @ Melbourne Cricket Ground)

2022-R16-WCE-Selection.png

Another selection posted after the fact as I continue to play catch-up in a house full of Covid.

Just two changes to the starting 22 - Naitanui making a long-awaited return from injury and Trew comes in from barely playing WAFL to make an unexpected AFL debut, the club's 7th of the season.

Kennedy is rested for the trip to Melbourne, the first time on the road in a month. With Naitanui back, Jamieson is omitted.

The merry-go-round for the substitute continues as Witherden is replaced by Petrevski-Seton.

Alex Witherden seems to be doing well in these ratings, but isn't getting a game. What is it that the stats aren't capturing?

Hopefully I'll be able to keep this more current as things here start to ease up somewhat.

Between interpreting impacts of new government policy, financial year, European war, supply chain crisis and floods affecting the foundation of the country's energy and every member of the house apart from me getting Covid, the past two weeks in particular have been draining.

Anyway, here is how things looked for the Round 17 match against Carlton:

Squad Selection:

Round 17 (vs Carlton Blues @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

2022-R17-WCE-Selection.png

Four changes to the starting 22. Yeo's second coming at half back is short-lived, as injury catches up him yet again. West also is marred by injury, whilst Cripps finds himself missing due to Covid protocols. Rotham is omitted.

Coming in are Kennedy after his rest in Round 16, H.Edwards and Foley as a makeshift forward.

Petrevski-Seton is promoted from being the substitute against Richmond into the 22 and Clark is named as the substitute to face the Blues.

Alex Witherden seems to be doing well in these ratings, but isn't getting a game. What is it that the stats aren't capturing?

This is a difficult one - of all positions on the ground non-key defence has probably evolved the most in recent years as a result of rule changes.

How can you quantify in-game speed and willingness to take on play from the small set of free data that we are given?

I'm certain that if we had access to handball received figures it would be identified pretty quickly.

The schema used here for these positions includes: Metres Gained, Marks, Rebound 50s, Intercepts, Disposal Efficiency and Kicks.

Considering this was devised in 2015 I've actually looked through recently to identify if other freely available statistics could be used to improve it.

Both Bounces and Score Involvements loosely correlate with players such as D.Rioli from Richmond.

However, the incorporation of either is problematic (Bounces is far too volatile due to the low numbers recorded in games and Score Involvements ends up with outputs of 'defensive' positions being flooded with midfielders).

Witherden is really the only 'outlier' at the top end of that player category, so unless things become terribly divergent, I'm happy to keep it the way that it is for the time being.

For example, D.Rioli has improved from D to B/A- from the start of this season, and he is likely to continue improving as more of his good form spans the rating period, so good performances are certainly still being picked up by the system.

As for Witherden, over the ranking period of the past 23 rounds of football he rates as follows:

Metres Gained - 40th​
Marks - 4th​
Rebound 50s - 6th​
Intercepts - 60th​
Disposal Efficiency - 56th​
Kicks - 12th​

Which results in his current very high output ranking for his position.

Considering that every other player in the rankings around him are significant players in the tactical function of their respective teams (T.Stewart, Luke Ryan, Sicily, Docherty, Rich etc), it may just be a case of a functional player in a completely dysfunctional team and approach.

It will be interesting to see how the club makes use of him during what remains of this season.

This is a difficult one - of all positions on the ground non-key defence has probably evolved the most in recent years as a result of rule changes.

How can you quantify in-game speed and willingness to take on play from the small set of free data that we are given?

I'm certain that if we had access to handball received figures it would be identified pretty quickly.

The schema used here for these positions includes: Metres Gained, Marks, Rebound 50s, Intercepts, Disposal Efficiency and Kicks.

Considering this was devised in 2015 I've actually looked through recently to identify if other freely available statistics could be used to improve it.

Both Bounces and Score Involvements loosely correlate with players such as D.Rioli from Richmond.

However, the incorporation of either is problematic (Bounces is far too volatile due to the low numbers recorded in games and Score Involvements ends up with outputs of 'defensive' positions being flooded with midfielders).

Witherden is really the only 'outlier' at the top end of that player category, so unless things become terribly divergent, I'm happy to keep it the way that it is for the time being.

For example, D.Rioli has improved from D to B/A- from the start of this season, and he is likely to continue improving as more of his good form spans the rating period, so good performances are certainly still being picked up by the system.

As for Witherden, over the ranking period of the past 23 rounds of football he rates as follows:

Metres Gained - 40th​
Marks - 4th​
Rebound 50s - 6th​
Intercepts - 60th​
Disposal Efficiency - 56th​
Kicks - 12th​

Which results in his current very high output ranking for his position.

Considering that every other player in the rankings around him are significant players in the tactical function of their respective teams (T.Stewart, Luke Ryan, Sicily, Docherty, Rich etc), it may just be a case of a functional player in a completely dysfunctional team and approach.

It will be interesting to see how the club makes use of him during what remains of this season.
Yeah Witho is an interesting one...

His skillset is undeniable (see above), but his deficiencies seem to be very obvious this year.

Personally I think he is a b22 player. He is too talented a player to leave out and he is still only 23.

Hey Dylan82, please update the ratings... i want to see where Culley lands after his low disposal but high tackle and high contested possession game.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep this more current as things here start to ease up somewhat.

Between interpreting impacts of new government policy, financial year, European war, supply chain crisis and floods affecting the foundation of the country's energy and every member of the house apart from me getting Covid, the past two weeks in particular have been draining.

Cursed myself with this one - more than half of the team in the office is out with Covid, so have spent the past week out beyond Mt Isa helping to bring infrastructure online for a copper mine. I'm just the "data" guy, but now I am able to sign-off on autonomous truck lines, go figure.

Anyway, here was Round 18:

Squad Selection:

Round 18 (vs Hawthorn Hawks @ Melbourne Cricket Ground)

2022-R18-WCE-Selection.png

Five changes for this match. Naitanui continues the post-bye trend of becoming re-injured within two games of making a return. He is joined on the injury list by Petruccelle. Rioli is on personal leave after the death of his father, whilst Trew and Clark (last week's substitute) are omitted.

Coming in are Witherden, Jamieson, Cripps and O'Neill in addition to mid-season pick 1 draftee Culley, who is the 8th player from the club to make an AFL debut this year.

Petrevski-Seton finds himself back as the substitute again.

Squad Selection:

Round 19 (vs St Kilda Saints @ Optus Stadium [Perth Stadium])

2022-R19-WCE-Selection.png

No changes forced by injury - a rare thing indeed of late.

Jamieson is omitted for Rotham as the club continues to search for more mobility in the secondary ruck role.

West is brought in as the substitute, replacing Petrevski-Seton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back