Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

Mr Hewy Lewis it is!

Makes sense.

Club clearly putting a premium on running and leg speed.

If all things go to plan I'm guessing Kennedy gets subbed at 3QT - like for like swap.

Ollie in beacuse he gives us 16km.

Durdin stays in purely becase we need to balance the 3 talls, and he's been better than Fantasia.

Like to see Boyd used as our quarterback tonight. Need someone to fill the Doc/Saad role.

Oliver and the Trac are obviously the star names however I am really worried about Viney. Seriously good footballer.

This will piss Arr0w off as I'm always the pessimist, I've tried to be more positive this year but just not getting that feeling about tonight. The Dee's will be pissed from us gloriously dumping them out of finals last year. We will need to match their hunger from the start.

Oliver and the Trac are obviously the star names however I am really worried about Viney. Seriously good footballer.

This will piss Arr0w off as I'm always the pessimist, I've tried to be more positive this year but just not getting that feeling about tonight. The Dee's will be pissed from us gloriously dumping them out of finals last year. We will need to match their hunger from the start.

Never p1ssed Sinjin

Will be a tough game, 50/50, think us by under 2 goals

We gotta play more good and less shit.

Don't really care who the opposition is.

We can beat anyone when we play properly.

🤷‍♂️

Yeh I'm afraid that's what my gut is telling me. We will really need to switched on or else the Dees will smell blood. They are seeing how the ladder is wide open and a flag for the taking.

Definitely curious as to how Voss deals with their defence. I hope I don't sit there and watch 65 entries go straight back out.
Forward tackles and overall ground pressure are about the only stats that matter. All the inside 50's and clearance dominance mean very little if our forward line is like a revolving door of opposition rebounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really want us to take Lever down a peg or two. Always feel he's a bit overrated, well, I get he plays his role expertly in a very good system. I want him not able to just float around doing what he likes. Make him accountable and kick goals on him pls.

We’ve had one of the toughest draws of any team in the 8 at the moment. We’ve already played Brisbane at the Gabba, GWS, Geelong and Collingwood, with Melbourne and Sydney in the next 2. We are currently a game and percentage out of the 4. To say that we won’t make the 4 if we lose this week is way too dramatic seeing our schedule opens up a bit the longer the season goes on

Even if we are 5-5 or 6-6 it isn’t the end of the season, last season should have taught us all to not think the sky is falling when we lose games.

I get we have areas of concern with how we play, and at this point I think we are more likely to miss top 4 than make top 4. I think we will be in the bottom part of the 8, look at times we will simultaneously miss the 8 and also make top 4, but finish somewhere 5-8th.

I dont think referencing the qualifying final means much for today's game. Melbourne have improved their starting side, whilst Carlton will be missing Docherty/Silvagni and Saad.

The qualifying final was a great win especially brought to supporters by that laasyt minute end to end goal - but Melbourne lost that game with very poor kicking.

Meanwhile, Carlton's year has been derailed by the extent of injuries and self-induced harm by losing to Adelaide and Geelong (both winnable games) and worse still letting Collingwood off the hook...even one win out those games would have Carlton well and truly ensconced in the top8 with some elbow room to move...now the team is bak to must win status...

Whilst getting McGovern and Martin back is good like Cerra last week- it would be unfair to expect them to be playing at top form after their layoffs - still anyone is an improvement on Young and on displayed form Fantasia.

Teh midfield had its colours lowered last week - by Collingwood that has to be the low point for the mids this year or the team will be in serious trouble.

big ask to go against an in form Melbourne - on paper their defensive capability is better than Carlton, their mids are at worst equal and their forward line with an in form OPetty clunking marks with Fritssch and Pickett is the equal of Carlton's make uppy long bomb routines...

I'm hoping Vopss and his crew have a few tricks lined up for this game - and the players are all fitter rather than not - a close game is to be expected but Melbourne can kick goals quickly when allowed.

to win tonight I see three things having to occur

1. Pittonet and TDK have to be able to neutralise than get over the top of Gawn - who is expert at feeding the ball as their mids require...giving the defensive structures enough time to be set will require at least break even midfield ground ball performance - something Carlton was unable to manage against Collingwood FFS

2. Carlton's between the arcs running game has to lift a notch in order to set up better entries; and

3. Conversion percentage has to be better than 60%

Fingers crossed for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back