Preview 2024 Rd 7 Carlton v Geelong Saturday 27 April 4:35PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over to the Game Day thread …

We need to be more efficient. We threw away easy goals against Adelaide and it cost us. We did the same against GWS and got there through weight of numbers. We need to be be cleaner and get reward for effort. Going to be a great day.

Yeah, and we often play to him like he's a wrestling marking beast in the mould of Tomahawk. He's good at it, but he simply doesn't have the size/strength of Tomahawk (no one does). We look better when we hit Charlie on a lead imo, or when he can at least run and jump (in saying that, the Cats don't exactly have monster defenders, so wouldn't surprise to see him kick a bag from wrestling marks today). Just about the play of the season was in our loss to the Crows when Gov roosted a kick out of D50 to Harry on a wing, who turned and roosted it to Charlie on a lead about 40m out. We transitioned from D50 to a set shot on goal with two long kicks in the space of about 7 seconds.

It appears to be at least partly Charlie's fault. Reckon the hardest and fastest I've seen him run all season was to avoid the 6-6-6 penalty last week. Would like to see more of that intent when running for the ball/at an opponent.

His hands aren't working amazingly either - not sure I've seen such a gun and successful forward two-grab so many marks. I feel that since his injuries, he's always been a bit of a two-grabber and it doesn't seem to hurt him too often, because he's actually very good at it, but would be awesome to see him pull in some massive one-grab marks.

I love the guy and am excited for what lies ahead, because I feel he has a fair bit of improvement in him this season.
Imagine: Charlie but tackles like Harry.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Geelong are undersold in this thread. We have focused on their talent (and perceived gaps in it), but system and experience trumps that, and obviously they have both on spades. I see the "easy draw" stuff as noise - in the first third of the season, it is cause-and-effect anyway, and you can only beat your opposition. They were safe as houses against Brisbane at the Gabba - never looked like losing once the rain started properly.

Fundamentally, they beat teams with system - restrict scoring with their structures (as opposed to personnel) down back, then make sure they score more heavily the other way, which is rarely a problem. A minor asterisk I would place against our win over them last year is that it was Round 2, and they were coming off a flag. In the modern AFL, the Grand Finalists seem to struggle in the first month of the new season (both Geelong and Collingwood have gone 0-3 post-flag).

We do match up well against them, because we can score "hard" goals as well as "easy" ones, and it's definitely a winnable game for us. But in my view, Geelong's favouritism is justified (or at least justifiable), and I see this game as a bit of a free hit. A win would be a massive statement, no question. But a loss is not a disaster (unless we get thrashed, perhaps) - I think the stakes will be higher against Collingwood the following week.
Disagree.

I don't think they can beat us.

We'd have to play pretty poorly for them to get the points.

Don't see that happening with all our mids in good form and Charlie/Harry/TDK forming an imposing threat up forward.

Pitto's form extremely encouraging too.

I think we have a solid system too, but better frankly, with a few more gears available...

Finally, they lack top end quality across the park, Cameron aside, and with Stewart out.

Their top end talent is pretty much all over the hill.

1714176845830.png

And they will be tired after the Gabba mudfest.

Noting the scores were all tied up at the 25m of the 3rd quarter....

Tuohy and Stanley, nor C. Guthrie, won't help them with leg speed!

Disagree.

I don't think they can beat us.

We'd have to play pretty poorly for them to get the points.

Don't see that happening with all our mids in good form and Charlie/Harry/TDK forming an imposing threat up forward.

Pitto's form extremely encouraging too.

I think we have a solid system too, but better frankly, with a few more gears available...

Finally, they lack top end quality across the park, Cameron aside, and with Stewart out.

Their top end talent is pretty much all over the hill.

View attachment 1972201

And they will be tired after the Gabba mudfest.

Noting the scores were all tied up at the 25m of the 3rd quarter....

Tuohy and Stanley, nor C. Guthrie, won't help them with leg speed!
They are a very well drilled team and structurally they are very well balanced.

The key for us is going to be that manic pressure - without that we would probably have lost against gws.

Requires a huge effort to bring that sort of effort each week.

I'm expecting a great game but it can easily go either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be a late change.

Should dominate the centre and control the game from the start.

Hopefully we can learn to put teams away but given our history us by 16.
Always cryptic :)

If you’re going to drop a bomb - can you at least do us the favour of detonating it?

It’s the waiting that hurts most.

When judging teams with injuries I always look at how many coming in are on the delist or need trading or non renewal of contract list or fighting for a spot --
I see guys fighting for spots in our side at present .. for that reason we will always be a very good chance especially when we have a healthy contingent down the spine with cripps and Walsh ..

Go blues..

I don't think Binns is overdue, still well and truly developing. It's going to be nice to see him rewarded with a game and hopefully he makes the most of it. Going from VFL to playing a top AFL side is a huge step up so he will get a good taste of it.

Of course he's still developing, that is true.

Has a tank every bit as good as the Hollands' boys too.

Plenty of ticker too from the games I've seen him play in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back