Preview 2024 Rd 7 Carlton v Geelong Saturday 27 April 4:35PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over to the Game Day thread …

Thinking of all the injuries and how much that worries us, we like to look at the players missing and how they would be in our best 22. I think the best way to look at it is how far away their replacements are from their quality.

I look at Motlop and how he hits the scoreboard, but Durdin is coming on and applying pressure and has more pace. Theoretically we are down a touch, but there's not a huge amount between them on game day.

Cowan is in for Saad. There is no hiding the differences here, but Cowan offers plenty that maybe Saad doesn't as much. That being the ferocity. Let's face it, this one mainly hurts when up against sides with a heap of super quick smalls.

Young is in for Gov. Yep, we lose the intercepting, but Young is definitely more defensive than Gov and is able to play on the tallest forward, something Gov does not do. It's just a different shape to our defensive half.

Elijah in for Martin/Silvagni We haven't seen Martin and we think of the best of him when he lament his loss. We also think of losing Silvagni as they all are playing the third tall role. Elijah has more strings to his bow.

Fantasia for Fogarty. Orazio is the one we are looking to get further up the ground and linking up inside the forward 50. His role is different to the close checking tackle machine that Fog is. We are missing Fog, but still producing that pressure footy. At the end of the day, these are role players, and not the firestarters of the side.

Carroll for Cerra. Clear class difference here. Cerra at his best is a gun. He wasn't in great form before getting injured, so the loss in quality wasn't as pronounced as it might have been. He's due back soon at any rate.

Docherty for ?

I think we are missing Saad, Cerra, McGovern, Docherty and Fogarty.

Silvagni, Martin, Cuningham, and Motlop, if available, are all competing with others already in the side.

This is because Cottrell, Boyd, and Elijah have earned their spots and we are going with the two ruck tactic for now.

The fact is we don't have a best 22. We have a best 30 and the final places are mix and match as needed.

Last edited:
Thinking of all the injuries and how much that worries us, we like to look at the players missing and how they would be in our best 22. I think the best way to look at it is how far away their replacements are from their quality.

I look at Motlop and how he hits the scoreboard, but Durdin is coming on and applying pressure and has more pace. Theoretically we are down a touch, but there's not a huge amount between them on game day.

Cowan is in for Saad. There is no hiding the differences here, but Cowan offers plenty that maybe Saad doesn't as much. That being the ferocity. Let's face it, this one mainly hurts when up against sides with a heap of super quick smalls.

Young is in for Gov. Yep, we lose the intercepting, but Young is definitely more defensive than Gov and is able to play on the tallest forward, something Gov does not do. It's just a different shape to our defensive half.

Elijah in for Martin/Silvagni We haven't seen Martin and we think of the best of him when he lament his loss. We also think of losing Silvagni as they all are playing the third tall role. Elijah has more strings to his bow.

Fantasia for Fogarty. Orazio is the one we are looking to get further up the ground and linking up inside the forward 50. His role is different to the close checking tackle machine that Fog is. We are missing Fog, but still producing that pressure footy. At the end of the day, these are role players, and not the firestarters of the side.

Carroll for Cerra. Clear class difference here. Cerra at his best is a gun. He wasn't in great form before getting injured, so the loss in quality wasn't as pronounced as it might have been. He's due back soon at any rate.

Docherty for ?

Silvagni, Martin, Cuningham, and Motlop, if available, are all competing with others already in the side.

This is because Cottrell, Boyd, and Elijah have earned their spots and we are going with the two ruck tactic for now.

The fact is we don't have a best 22. We have a best 30 and the final places are mix and match as needed.
Agree with everything here. But…….

Think we have improved as a team on last year.
Individuals playing a role has been a huge in that improvement

But it would be really nice to see what we believe to be best 22 players all fit and playing in the same improved team this year.

Reality says that’s not going to happen as injuries are part of the game. But….

A fit Martin in that forward line with this years Charlie & Harry. A fit Motlop with Durdin & Fogarty as the smalls hmm…Resting TDK because we have a fit Pitto……

A backline with a fit McGovern, Weiters & Saad / Williams / Doc / Marchbank…….hmmmmmm

A fit Cerra with a fit Walsh, a fit Cripps & the supports in Hewitt, Kennedy etc……hmmmmmm

Going to say it, but a fit Carlton is the best, most balanced list in the comp right now. Unfortunately we’ve never had the opportunity to see a fully fit Carlton

If, and that’s a big if, we get that towards the end of the year and we’re a massive shot.

Agree with everything here. But…….

Think we have improved as a team on last year.
Individuals playing a role has been a huge in that improvement

But it would be really nice to see what we believe to be best 22 players all fit and playing in the same improved team this year.

Reality says that’s not going to happen as injuries are part of the game. But….

A fit Martin in that forward line with this years Charlie & Harry. A fit Motlop with Durdin & Fogarty as the smalls hmm…Resting TDK because we have a fit Pitto……

A backline with a fit McGovern, Weiters & Saad / Williams / Doc / Marchbank…….hmmmmmm

A fit Cerra with a fit Walsh, a fit Cripps & the supports in Hewitt, Kennedy etc……hmmmmmm

Going to say it, but a fit Carlton is the best, most balanced list in the comp right now. Unfortunately we’ve never had the opportunity to see a fully fit Carlton

If, and that’s a big if, we get that towards the end of the year and we’re a massive shot.

Not that easy. You have 6 coming in, and TDK coming out which I just don't think will happen. You're going to have to drop some unlucky players.

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday when a poster lamented that 12 players on our injured list were best 22 players.

I would be struggling to drop 12 players from our current team to make way for all those 12 on the injured list, so not sure they’re all best 22.

Of the 12 on the injured list there are 6 important/key players - Weiters, Saad, Cerra, McGovern, Williams and Fogarty which would come in.

The other 6 Cuners, Mots, Marchbank, Martin, Doc and JSOS are good players but our depth has easily covered these players imo.
Players in best 22 teams rarely play at their best concurrently, and the difference or drop off in quality/attributes of the next 6 or so players is not that great.

Not that easy. You have 6 coming in, and TDK coming out which I just don't think will happen. You're going to have to drop some unlucky players.
No, don’t have TDK coming out, just resting forward more often like last week

Saad back in for Cowan, McGovern for Young, Cerra for Carroll, Martin for Owies, Motlop for Fantasia

Team balance calls would be:

Marchbank is back-up for McGovern / Kemp
Fogarty is back-up for the small forwards - Potentially in for Durdin or Motlop on balance

I see our best team for 2024 as

Backs - Boyd Weitering Kemp
Backs - Williams McGovern Saad
Wings - O Hollands Cripps Acres
Forwards -E Hollands McKay Martin
Forwards - Durdin Curnow Motlop
Rucks Pitto Cerra Walsh
Int TDK Kennedy Cotts Hewett - Fogarty / Marchbank

Out of todays team I have:

Newman
Owies
Carroll
Cowan
Fantasia
Young

No, don’t have TDK coming out, just resting forward more often like last week

Saad back in for Cowan, McGovern for Young, Cerra for Carroll, Martin for Owies, Motlop for Fantasia

Team balance calls would be:

Marchbank is back-up for McGovern / Kemp
Fogarty is back-up for the small forwards - Potentially in for Durdin or Motlop on balance

Oh, my bad. Thought you meant resting him as in taking him out of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Docherty for ?

Yeah this is what I meant in one of my posts following our victory against gws.

Basically each player brings a different dimension to the roles/positions they play.

As you have explained the net difference between a best 22 and the next man up isn’t as bad as what one may think it is.

Particularly if there is buy in from everyone in terms of applying manic pressure.

Not sure how I feel about today's game. We did play out of our skin last week. Obviously Vossy had us really primed for a huge effort.
Now, with a couple of pretty sore boy's. Who both would probably not be playing, if we had reliable back-ups in the wings.
Got a feeling, this is going to be a very tight game. H to kick six and Tom to prove, that he is the better DeKoning. Little Durds to kick four.
Blues by 7 points.

Agree. Charlie needs to get on his bike more. His doing very little leading to the ball carrier currently.
Look at Harry - always moving and pushing up and down with fantastic leading patterns.

Yeah, and we often play to him like he's a wrestling marking beast in the mould of Tomahawk. He's good at it, but he simply doesn't have the size/strength of Tomahawk (no one does). We look better when we hit Charlie on a lead imo, or when he can at least run and jump (in saying that, the Cats don't exactly have monster defenders, so wouldn't surprise to see him kick a bag from wrestling marks today). Just about the play of the season was in our loss to the Crows when Gov roosted a kick out of D50 to Harry on a wing, who turned and roosted it to Charlie on a lead about 40m out. We transitioned from D50 to a set shot on goal with two long kicks in the space of about 7 seconds.

It appears to be at least partly Charlie's fault. Reckon the hardest and fastest I've seen him run all season was to avoid the 6-6-6 penalty last week. Would like to see more of that intent when running for the ball/at an opponent.

His hands aren't working amazingly either - not sure I've seen such a gun and successful forward two-grab so many marks. I feel that since his injuries, he's always been a bit of a two-grabber and it doesn't seem to hurt him too often, because he's actually very good at it, but would be awesome to see him pull in some massive one-grab marks.

I love the guy and am excited for what lies ahead, because I feel he has a fair bit of improvement in him this season.

Last edited:
Not sure how I feel about today's game. We did play out of our skin last week. Obviously Vossy had us really primed for a huge effort.
Now, with a couple of pretty sore boy's. Who both would probably not be playing, if we had reliable back-ups in the wings.
Got a feeling, this is going to be a very tight game. H to kick six and Tom to prove, that he is the better DeKoning. Little Durds to kick four.
Blues by 7 points.
Agree, bringing that sort of pressure week in week out would be difficult but we just have to if we want to win this one.

Going to be a big game - our mids/forwards need to try and trap the ball in our front half as much as possible...as coming in the other way our defence will definitely be stretched.

Just have to hope Weiters plays today. He would be a huge loss.

Yeah, and we often play to him like he's a wrestling marking beast in the mould of Tomahawk. He's good at it, but he simply doesn't have the size/strength of Tomahawk (no one does). We look better when we hit Charlie on a lead imo. Just about the play of the season was in our loss to the Crows when Gov roosted a kick out of D50 to Harry on a wing, who turned and roosted it to Charlie on a lead about 40m out. We transitioned from D50 to a set shot on goal with two long kicks in the space of about 7 seconds.

It appears to be at least partly Charlie's fault. Reckon the hardest and fastest I've seen him run all season was to avoid the 6-6-6 penalty last week. Would like to see more of that intent when running for the ball/at an opponent.

His hands aren't working amazingly either - not sure I've seen such a gun and successful forward two-grab so many marks. I feel that since his injuries, he's always been a bit of a two-grabber and it doesn't seem to hurt him too often, because he's actually very good at it, but would be awesome to see him pull in some massive one-grab marks.

I love the guy and am excited for what lies ahead, because I feel he has a fair bit of improvement in him this season.
Agree, it all looks a little easier on the lead. But I don’t believe Charlie wrestles in the traditional sense that a big KPF does. He engages firstly to see if he can out position from a body perspective not so much focussed on outmuscling his opponent to mark but moreso as a first option, secondly it’s to bring the ball to ground where he’s quicker to react than most key backs. Scores a lot of his goals from marking contests brought to ground and snapped.
What I’d like to see more of from Charlie is defensively. An athlete of his ability should be putting more pressure on the opposition than he does. Needs to up his intent defensively similar to Harry this year.
He’d be an absolute weapon if he could add this to his game
Even the simplest of things, his manning the mark from a kick-out is half arsed most of the time. Just a little more intent puts the opposition under more pressure. If this can result in that kick being just a little off it can lead to turnover and scoring.

Last edited:
Agree, it all looks a little easier on the lead. But I don’t believe Charlie wrestles in the traditional sense that a big KPF does. He engages firstly to see if he can out position from a body perspective not so much focussed on outmuscling his opponent to mark but moreso as a first option, secondly it’s to bring the ball to ground where he’s quicker to react than most key backs. Scores a lot of his goals from marking contests brought to ground and snapped.
What I’d like to see more of from Charlie is defensively. An athlete of his ability should be putting more pressure on the opposition than he does. Needs to up his intent defensively similar to Harry this year.
He’d be an absolute weapon if he could add this to his game
Agree on the second para and regarding the first point, it would be interesting to know if that is a real belief/tactic - ie, just aiming to bring the ball to ground for the quicker reaction. It's not a traditional play of the great forwards, but nothing wrong with it if it works I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back