Preview 2024 Rd 9 Carlton vs Melbourne Thursday 9th May 7:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp, Jack Martin, Mitch McGovern
OUT: Zac Williams (glute soreness), David Cuningham, Orazio Fantasia, Lewis Young

Round 9 team v Melbourne
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Alex CincottaMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:David CuninghamOrazio FantasiaLewis Young

Wonder what Cunningham did wrong to get dropped after one game.

Hollands a weird inclusion after being dropped and not playing at all last weekend.

Durdin feels like the sub. Done nothing to deserve being in the best 22.

Did Williams play the last few hurt? Started the year very well but has been awful lately.

Wow didnt realise Max Gawn was so tall :eek:

Since the semi-final last year:

Carlton

In: McKay, E Hollands, Cowan, Martin, Boyd, C Durdin
Out: Cuningham, Docherty, Fogarty, Marchbank, Motlop, Saad

Melbourne

In: Petty, Turner, van Rooyen, Howes, Windsor, Billings, Woewodin
Out: Hunter, Jordon, Schache, Smith, Spargo, Tomlinson, Salem

The real issue around here is not about what will happen tomorrow night. It’s whether ODN should ban himself for using the words “fondly” and “*” in the same sentence 😅

Cunners instead of Durdin … not sure what the coaches are seeing in Durds right now … bizarre
He hasn’t played anywhere near what he had produced in his first 2 seasons, besides Fogarty he has been disappointing along with most of our smaller forwards so far…
Ollie also nowhere near last years level, tried hard but been pretty ordinary…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really appreciate having both Kemp and Cowan teaming up with Weiters in the backline. Great learning experience for both to be playing in seniors together.

Durdin most likely sub as alluded by a few, Hewett may be needed to help lockdown a player such as Viney or Oliver if they get off the leash a bit.

I think the bench has been composed in a way to light the fire and put a few on notice. Seeing Cerra, Hewett, Cotters and Boyd listed on there is interesting when you have Ollie and say Cowan/Cinc and Kennedy who in most scenarios or as per expectations would be a bench listing. The 5 bench players played well below their par last week and I'm sure this has been crafted to get them to prove their mettle and show their worth.

Don't need Martin or Elijah doing crazy stuff, this is a game where I'd love them to use their smarts and place themselves and co-ordinate well with the talls and Owies better not fly for a thing want him grounded and moving.

I also want to see second half of last week Acres who appeared back to his better form of 2023 not the fumbly, dropping marks and fluffing possession one we've had for a lot of this season thus far.

And Charlie, none of this strength contests against May, he's better at it and stronger (even though you have the better guns). I want to see Charlie use his brain and instinct this game, take a leaf out of Fev's days, used his speed, leading work and strength to his advantage, work May over and leave space for Harry who's on fire at present.

Overall, want selfless team footy this week. Concentration, desire, will and no excuses.

I wanna see Pickett, picketting himself off the floor all game as he's been smashed and beaten pillar to post. Want to see Oliver find the solace of crossing the powdery white line to the interchange as he's unable to cope with the heat we apply. I want to see a hair out of place on Fritsch's head for a change as he's so flustered and constantly chasing tail he hasn't got time for a beauty preen.

AND.... do not want Jake Billings to become "A star" as per course against us.

Last edited:
That sounds illegal

I'm pretty sure that filly is old enough to receive a nice, hard brushing and a firm tap on the flank.

The real issue around here is not about what will happen tomorrow night. It’s whether ODN should ban himself for using the words “fondly” and “*” in the same sentence 😅

I fondly remember smashing * in an elimination final too.

In this case, I fondly remember Essendon being all bark and no bite when Fantasia was playing for them. Free flowing but couldn't defend.

But if I need to flog myself, take it as a given.

Wonder what Cunningham did wrong to get dropped after one game.

Hollands a weird inclusion after being dropped and not playing at all last weekend.

Durdin feels like the sub. Done nothing to deserve being in the best 22.

Did Williams play the last few hurt? Started the year very well but has been awful lately.
Cunners - usual fade in and out, Voss may be becoming more aware of the enigma he is and prefers for now he earns a spot with consistency
Hollands - second year blues, needed a rest. Surprise to me too but can't fault his desire to not stop running, problem is Melbourne are such a mature physical team he'll get shaken off a lot. But hopefully after a weeks break he's got his zip back as we need some run.
Durdin - don't deserve being in the ones on recent form (but at the moment it's him or fantasia so he wins by default) but it is what it is. Would suggest he has 2 weeks to show something because Fog will be straight back in (he's been able to run so he's fit and ready).
Williams - 3 weeks in a row subbed out because of some mystical soreness/injury. He's so physically and mentally broken that any little twinge or ache breaks him. Also might be mentally scarred as he's been soundly beaten and targeted by opposition the last few. I think he'll be out of the ones for a few till he "recovers" and finds some form in the VFL. Would think Cinc and Boyd will have to royally stuff up to be dropped for him and with Saad a few weeks away he's in over Williams as well. I wouldn't be too sad to use him (Williams) as trade bait come seasons end.. pay half his salary and balance the books.

That's groomer room for you horsey.
Black And White Horse GIF by GritTV

That forward line looks dramatically better even with only Martin coming in
Backline looks better also with McGovern and Kemp. I wonder when Boyd plays whether Cowan comes out to the bench.

Arrow any thoughts on Cowan playing the Fogarty defensive role on the forward line?

My take and only a guess, I think that the club might have been a bit disappointed in a few of Cuningham's defensive efforts. I thought he was quite good offensively for a first game back but maybe he let Noble off the chain a few times?

Meh, I'm not zeroing in on some flaws in Cunners game. Nothing will justify this selection decision to me.

Having said that, no choice but to move on and back Durdin in now, hopefully he can actually play his role and have an impact.

Backline looks better also with McGovern and Kemp. I wonder when Boyd plays whether Cowan comes out to the bench.

Arrow any thoughts on Cowan playing the Fogarty defensive role on the forward line?

I think in time Cowan could push up to a wing, if he could build a better tank

He would make a reasonable 3rd tall forward, but with a number of our backmen aging, I'd say he remains in the backline, for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back