Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

I just don't want us to make that oversized goggles wearing American look good. Please Blues!

Cox is massively underrated (IMO) he has become a good marking target and is a more reliable set shot kick at goal from 35 meters out or even 40 than most of our forwards. He was very influential in their grand final win - definitely a big moments player.

Cox is massively underrated (IMO) he has become a good marking target and is a more reliable set shot kick at goal from 35 meters out or even 40 than most of our forwards. He was very influential in their grand final win - definitely a big moments player.
I don't actually disagree. And it annoys the crap out of me. Lol.

And how good and hard is my favourite Pie, Brody Mihocek?

We have so many small forward options it's just that so many of them are injured or out of form at the moment. We need to look at other areas.

Who, exactly?

Our small forwards are measured against the opposition we play. That determines how we go as a team.

Owies and Durdin deserve points for effort. But do they trouble the opposition?

Was at game yesterday. Cats were only concerned about Charlie and Harry.

If we’re going to be a premiership contender, we need the opposition to be worried about all our forwards, not just 2 or 3

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Happy for us to try Sam Durdin. Can't be any less competitive than Lewis. If McG is right then he's in instead of Nigel. Cez is welcomed back with open arms. Not fussed about bringing Fantasia back as I think his output has been about as good as our other small forwards. Still, the smalls need to pay a price for not applying defensive heat, regardless of not hitting the scoreboard. I would persist with Cowan. He's a bit like Kemp in that he needs game time to build confidence.
Cannot and must not play S Durdin with Weitering. This would make our backline the titanic……

Not if we get the same umpires as Saturday

The problem with targetting Charlie or Harry as much as is done is not targeting Charlie or Harry as much as it is don- but that they are targetted even though surrounded by 2-3 players in a pack ...this makes it difficult for umps to give a free as much as they are deserved...

now imagine Charlie and Harry actually learning to separate or be moving much more when the ball is coming - ie the ball isnt an up (and pray whilsyt defenders get set) but listed is kicked to a space much more that it is usually ..when there is a clear one on one and clear attacker and defender- the free if there is much easier to give and less easy to ignore

ther is too much kick an up an under and everyone charge to teh fall of the ball - in teh Geelong game Cripps was targetted beautifully all alone and two goals followed...in another Charlie did one of his cross kicks to someone all by themselves in space ...more of this and less being wasteful all the time is required...

Carlton needs to learn how to make teh forward fifty a big open space players should drag their directs away from the FF goal zone instead of waiting around for a 50/50 contested mark /spill...it is predictable and easily chopped off more often than not the way Carlton enters fifty and uses ball around 50.

TLDR: you have to force the umps to give frees by them having no excuses for clear infringements- which is all about clear line of sight and no big messy contested pack situations where everyone is infringing one way or another

Tackles per game in 2024:
1. Geelong (68.7)
2. Carlton (66.1)
3. Collingwood (64.7)

Tackles i50 per game in 2024:
1. Carlton (16.6!!!)
2. Port Adelaide (14.0)
3. Western Bulldogs (13.1)

Need to bring this sort of pressure and intensity across four quarters this week. Collingwood also strong in this area so have to be composed with ball in hand.

Who, exactly?

Our small forwards are measured against the opposition we play. That determines how we go as a team.

Owies and Durdin deserve points for effort. But do they trouble the opposition?

Was at game yesterday. Cats were only concerned about Charlie and Harry.

If we’re going to be a premiership contender, we need the opposition to be worried about all our forwards, not just 2 or 3

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elijah and Cottrell have caused some headaches recently.

Owies was terrible yesterday. He's lacking confidence. For that reason, I'd bring Cunners in to replace him. We need some x factor up forward and Cunners can do that.

Durdin wasn't much better. Fantasia to come in for him. Not that Fanta has been impressive either but he's had a week off and he has been a bit of a big game player in the past. The cupboard is bare especially with Motlop out.

Then there's Kennedy and TDK who have been spending time up there. They've done ok but like you said, nothing to really worry the opposition.

We can start by kicking more accurately.

Despite the loss to the Cats, I'm feeling very confident about this one.

We should smash them in clearances but where they've been getting us in recent encounters is marks i50 and their ability to score from turnover.

We really need to tidy up defensively for this one. It was too loose against the Cats and obviously was very costly. We have allowed way too much space for opposition forwards.

Williams I reckon it's time to use more of his creativity, he's not much chop defensively and the Pies forwards will cut him up. Try him up forward and pinch hit in the middle. Our forward line needs some x factor, maybe he could provide some of that. Maybe we think about bringing Cincotta in if we go down that path.

Young is very shaky. He just lacks at AFL level. Could be a risk, but I'd take it and bring in Sam Durdin.

I can't justify keeping Owies and Durdin in. Both of them were not good enough. If Cunners is ready, he comes in for one of them. Fantasia comes in for the other.

Cerra back will be huge, for the first time this season we will have our big guns in the middle in Cerra, Cripps and Walsh.

I reckon we'll beat them by about 3-4 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought he looked ok from the nose bleeds, liked his first half on the replay. Durdin's first half was one of the better halves he's played in some time. Did well as the high half forward, provided an option in transition and used it well.

Had grave concerns last year at his lack of composure with ball in hand but that's definitely improved with another preseason and some continuity.

Yes, the miss was terrible but need to be careful not to overreact on a young player who's trending in the right direction.

Despite the loss to the Cats, I'm feeling very confident about this one.

We should smash them in clearances but where they've been getting us in recent encounters is marks i50 and their ability to score from turnover.

We really need to tidy up defensively for this one. It was too loose against the Cats and obviously was very costly. We have allowed way too much space for opposition forwards.

Williams I reckon it's time to use more of his creativity, he's not much chop defensively and the Pies forwards will cut him up. Try him up forward and pinch hit in the middle. Our forward line needs some x factor, maybe he could provide some of that. Maybe we think about bringing Cincotta in if we go down that path.

Young is very shaky. He just lacks at AFL level. Could be a risk, but I'd take it and bring in Sam Durdin.

I can't justify keeping Owies and Durdin in. Both of them were not good enough. If Cunners is ready, he comes in for one of them. Fantasia comes in for the other.

Cerra back will be huge, for the first time this season we will have our big guns in the middle in Cerra, Cripps and Walsh.

I reckon we'll beat them by about 3-4 goals.
Don't know Sam Durdin yet, but you'd think there'll be a few discussions around our defence this week.

Whilst not aiming to disrespect him, Mihocek is one of the best B grade players in the game.
I think Brody would be pleased with that achievement.

I much prefer the hard working, tough but fair, non whinging mobile types over the A grade , chest pumping show pony's,
same with Carlton players.

Durdin’s miss was abysmal, but I still have him ahead of Owies.

Owies running into an open goal vs Adelaide to ice the game and stubbing his toe kinda sums him up. He’s not a crumbing small forward. But he’s a decent one-paced close-range chest-marking lead-up target. Which sounds terribly limited. Cos it is.

Owies running into an open goal vs Adelaide to ice the game and stubbing his toe kinda sums him up. He’s not a crumbing small forward. But he’s a decent one-paced close-range chest-marking lead-up target. Which sounds terribly limited. Cos it is.
We’re desperately waiting on Motlop. He’s our best small crumbing forward. He adds the X factor as well. He still needs to learn/improve to be anywhere near the likes of a bobby hill or stengels.

We’re desperately waiting on Motlop. He’s our best small crumbing forward. He adds the X factor as well. He still needs to learn/improve to be anywhere near the likes of a bobby hill or stengels.
Pretty hard to improve when you will miss close to the first 1/2 of the season.

Looked pre season to be a big improver and the answer to our small forward issue........

We just have to be patient unfortunately but agree, we NEED HIM BADLY.

Gee, I’d like to get marked like Cunners.

Averages 7.5 games a year, 13 disposals, half a goal and 3 tackles a game. 27 years old.

Any wonder we’re struggling outside the big two.

I’d keep backing Durdin, waiting for Motlop. I’d bring Fantasia in before Cunners. Have a look at Cunners in the 2s for a couple of weeks. If he gets through then he can possibly come in for any of the others as when he’s “going” adds a point of difference.

Now comes the most rediculous sentence - A fit Martin plays everyday before Cunners. Elijah has gone past at least Cunners already and has much more upside.

Agree about Owies. He's done very well for himself with his limited toolkit, but we're trying to win a premiership here, unless he can add more weapons to his bag (which is highly doubtful) then we're going to struggle with him up forward.

The problem is, we don't have reliable replacements. Hopefully we can find a gem in msd, if not we'll have to chase a proven one which will not come cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back