Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

With the depth of our injuries and the calibre of player available, it's not a question of who provides the most upside but who is least likely to be exploited.

At the moment, Young, Carroll and Ollie Hollands are obvious weak points for various reasons. Cowan, Corey Durdin and even Williams are vulnerable. Fantasia doesn't do much offensively but you know what he'll get and he's not gonna make a lot of mistakes. Durdin, poor misses aside, has improved with ball in hand, though he's borderline for me.

If Durdin is deemed match fit, wouldn't be opposed to him for Young. Not because Durdin is a world beater. More because Young is unreliable and unpredictable and hurts us defensively. Would have preferred him to get a run in the twos today but not to be.

Carroll looks like a deer in the head lights atm and is the obvious out for Cerra. He's got some good attributes but needs a spell in the 2s to consolidate.

Hollands just too weak in the contest and not offering much offensively. Could probably benefit from reduced loads. Not sure Binns is the answer on today's showing. Cottrell might be the go, is using the ball beautifully at present.

Tough game for Cowan against a rampaging Geelong midfield, but he'd want to get the rushed kicks out of his system very quickly. A lot being asked of Williams with Saad out, and he's looking quite nervy with ball in hand.

They will bring the same style and intensity as Geelong but are without a Cameron to completely capitalise. He was probably the difference.

6 vs 9 day break after a hard slog is somewhat concerning but our best will beat them. Any less and we’ll have a game on our hands.

At some point I would like to explore Newman to a wing. He played it a lot early days. He has the tank and def has the smarts. Can’t be until mcg and saad are back, maybe even Marchy.

But we can’t be playing with one wing every week (even if that one wing is the best ******* wing in the afl).

I agree with you about Fantasia, didn’t see much pressure coming out of the forward line yesterday, but we need more than Cerra in.
That game would have taken a lot out of us and to come up against another gun and run team with a 9 day break compared to 6 for us we just have to have a few fresh bodies come in not just one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I have a feeling Cerra will be the only in. Gov another week away, calls for Cunningham to come in are odd given he hasn't played in how long? Strangely I think we missed Fantasia's positioning and off the ball stuff yesterday.
How’s it odd ? The coach LITERALLY. mentioned him in the presser as an in next week. Watch it if you haven’t. I recommend it.

Those don’t see what Raz brings in are blind and he’s a massive upgrade to what we had on display yesterday. That sort of team defending yesterday was reminiscent of the trash we would serve up years ago. Ie opposition easily walk the ball out of our F50, cut through the middle with a spare man waiting on the other flank. Easy entry into the forward line. Which other team is good at that set play ? Yeah Collingwood. This game won’t be easy.

Ollie has to be demoted to the two's.
Carroll is really struggling, back to the VFL.
Owies needs to lift.
Young is obviously a stop-gap. Not AFL standard.
Binns out, for mine.
We desperately need Cerras class and hardness.
McGov would be great, but think he will need another week.
Cunners comes straight back in, maybe as a sub. He would be ideal in this role imo.
Fanta, even though he has struggled to impact on the scoreboard. Would be an improvement on our current small fwd's.

Hollands as sub for mine. Could do with reduced load (had a full preseason and looks fatigued). Can come in and impact a game with his run late, has done it before as the sub. Prefer him to a small forward in that role, and Carroll more in need of a spell in the 2s.

If Cuners is fit, give him the full game. Generally does well on return and would be fit enough with the conservative approach. Need some class and speed up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's defensive weakness was on display yesterday which is when smart defenders are missing - opposition find it easy to kick to a loose unmanned joe the goose waiting unmarked and alone in an open padock.

Typically either McGovern or Saad are there to stop that or spoil - yesterday we had the pleasure of watching a befuddled and inept duo of Young and Cowan having to be covered for by the rest of the defenders - whilst busy trying to cover their own man.

There is no substitute for quality when you are playing against quality.

Collingwood play teh same style as Geelong - exactly;y the same. If anything they have more running power on teh outside in Hill and more straight lien running power through teh guts when they are up and about.

How do you stop this style- well you cant if you allow unpressured long exit kicks....is ther another way to stop this well yes

you kick your set shots when they are there for the taking - especially from 20-30 meters dead in front.

Yesterday the weak links in th forward line were exposed as much as teh weak links in defensive lines. Owies and Durdin - sorry fellasa if you miss those shots you just kill the team and the game plan - which is based on win ball and get repeat entries and score.

Take away scoring and you arent in the game - Carlton managed to put absolutely zero score pressure on Geelong yesterday.

Cowan and Hollands both had their best games yet against the Giants I thought. Was a shame they didn't back it up, but not unexpected.

We need polish, zip and x-factor up forward big time = Cunners and Fantasia.

Cerra will be a welcome addition - especially if it's Cerra of 2023. He has a great record against the Pies I reckon, even last time he was killing them before being subbed out.

Gov would also be handy, but seems unlikely. Hopefully he gets up.

I wonder if we'd consider Carroll in a defensive midfield role - not sure how his tank would go, but could be a good defensive match-up against Naicos, for instance, if he plays through the middle. They have a few players who will really need to have stand-out games to match us through the midfield, so if we can use one of our lowest ranked players to nullify one of their highest ranked players, that's a big win for us.

I don't want to risk Binns this week.

Our main concern will be their small/medium forwards I think, which may mean Cinc gets a look, though I doubt it.

For mine,

In: Cunners, Fantasia, Cerra
Out: Owies (I could see it being Durds rather than Owies), Binns, the third out is tricky (one of Hollands, Carroll and Cowan, depending on team tactics)

Handy Ins imo.

At some point I would like to explore Newman to a wing. He played it a lot early days. He has the tank and def has the smarts. Can’t be until mcg and saad are back, maybe even Marchy.

But we can’t be playing with one wing every week (even if that one wing is the best ******* wing in the afl).
The issue we have with resting Ollie is who can replace his running. Every week Cotts, Acres Ollie and now E.H are up around the 15km and top of the sprint stats as well. Critical to shutting down the opposition turnover game. Newman has a good tank, but he can't run like those 3. Binns will need time to get up to speed.

I have a feeling Cerra will be the only in. Gov another week away, calls for Cunningham to come in are odd given he hasn't played in how long? Strangely I think we missed Fantasia's positioning and off the ball stuff yesterday.

Agree. DC is all of a sudden Ablett Jnr.

One of our main issues is lack of consistent contribution by some. Cuningham doesn’t help that

I’d much rather play Cincotta

FWIW I think Cerra in and maybe Fantasia will be only changes

The issue we have with resting Ollie is who can replace his running. Every week Cotts, Acres Ollie and now E.H are up around the 15km and top of the sprint stats as well. Critical to shutting down the opposition turnover game. Newman has a good tank, but he can't run like those 3. Binns will need time to get up to speed.

Cerra Cincotta Kemp Williams are genuine options

Cottrell for me doesn’t do enough for a wing and he is needed forward

Agree. DC is all of a sudden Ablett Jnr.

One of our main issues is lack of consistent contribution by some. Cuningham doesn’t help that

I’d much rather play Cincotta

FWIW I think Cerra in and maybe Fantasia will be only changes

Bit hyperbolic. DC doesn't need to be Ablett Jnr. He just needs to produce more than the 3 possession, 2 tackle game that Owies produced yesterday. In terms of quality, those two are miles apart. Fans often seem to expect 20+ possession games from everyone, but that's not how it goes, especially with half-forward types. 10-16 possessions, with a couple of handy link-ups or assists, a goal and a few tackles is acceptable, if they are generally doing their role and not being smashed the other way.

Bit hyperbolic. DC doesn't need to be Ablett Jnr. He just needs to produce more than the 3 possession, 2 tackle game that Owies produced yesterday. In terms of quality, those two are miles apart. Fans often seem to expect 20+ possession games from everyone, but that's not how it goes, especially with half-forward types. 10-16 possessions, with a couple of handy link-ups or assists, a goal and a few tackles is acceptable, if they are generally doing their role and not being smashed the other way.

How many times has Cuningham had 10-16 possessions with assists and goals?

I am also very tired of “acceptable” as the standard

How many times has Cuningham had 10-16 possessions with assists and goals?

I am also very tired of “acceptable” as the standard
Hollands and Cottrell both had under 10 possessions. Cuningham can find the ball and is a great user.

I'm glad that teh conversation has moved on from

1. Cant play all of Cripps/Hewett and Kennedy ( the later two had ordinary games yesterday IMO)
2. Cant play Pittonet and TDK ( teh two have dominated where they should dominate since being played together - save for TDK missing 2-3 shots instead of kicking them yesterday)

to a focus on the real issues that have plagued Carlton for 2 years now- and that is small forwards who cant kick goals when they need to be kicked and arent smart enough to cover for release players because they are too busy pretending to be mids when they are actually on ffgroiund to be crumbers and to cover the outside release passes in defensive fifty.

Owies and Durdin are dumb footballers and were exposed yesterday for being outplayed by their opponents.

Cuningham isnt a wold beater we all wanted him to be - but he ( like foagarty) are MUCH better options than Owies or Durdin.

Austin has to fix the fact that we HAVE to play Young and find one more small forward who is ( you know) actually a small forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back