Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
We allow to many easy entries and good looks at goal .. our ability to defend between the arcs is bad even nth scored easily against us.. we fix this we win we don't we lose as Witt's will probably dominate both our rucks. Hopefully the heavy going two weeks in a row at NT will have had an effect

So it looks effort based. Were we tired off our first 8 day break in a while. How will we look in port ade lol side off 5 days break.
It's not even the same data, and the definition of repeat sprint is 2 sprints within a minute of each other. Multiple repeats are the domain of the wings and the pressure/playmaking small forwards. And it can just as easily indicate players being headless chooks, or covering quick turnovers, than anything productive.

200 sprints for a game is low, and Cottrell missing is only a chunk of that gap, maybe 20-25. We've just been slowly eroding our ability to match and break free of the opposition.

Keep in mind that the definition of a sprint is fairly loose (>24 km/h, or a 15s 100m) and the high speed threshold is 75% of that. We were shuffling, and the Swans were putting up maybe average numbers for the season, but nothing record setting.

Our midfield is horribly overrated. Offensively good. But there are modern tactics that bring it undone. Teams with quicker midfields simply make sure the ball goes out wide and in space. If we keep it in close or it goes to us first teams hammer us with tackling and good closing speed.

Fortunately there are only a handful of sides who can do this to us. Sides who can't we tend to dominate. Sides who can and have modern midfield structures and tactics, we just can't beat them.

Adelaide, Collingwood and Sydney are probably the main sides who exploit us. As I have said, other sides are still adjusting their lists to the new rules which have created these new tactics so there will be more and more sides playing this way.

We are a great sides when we are getting the ball and we are good at that. We are a great side when the opposition don't have great closing speed.

What we aren't great with is applying pressure with pace and closing speed and run and carry out of the stoppages. To me this is a tactical thing that has come about because we are vulnerable when the ball comes out wide and we don't have it.

It's not an A grade midfield. We have some pretty good offensive weapons in it. We are probably one or two fast paced, modern day defensive mids away from it being A grade.

You'd love to see Billy Wilson or Cowan get going as mids. Fast legs, hard at it, get in there chase, tackle and handle the ball well when it goes out wide.
Way too simplistic.

If you win the ball and use it well, the alleged speed issue is a non issue.

A fast thinker is way 'quicker' than a slow thinker who runs a 2.8 sec 20m.

Every day of the week.

If you've coughed the ball up cheaply, Gulden's chances of stopping the ball movement forward are negligibly better than George Hewett's on any given day.

Though Hewett's bad days invariably see him making slow decisions and getting caught....

Half our afl team bomb their kicks, so don’t understand your point.
The point being is that l don't see Cowan as a midfielder, he looks a very competent half back in another 12 months, he currently lacks some poise at senior level, how is that going to improve our midfield, we lack outside run, we already have enough big bodied midfielders.

Half our afl team bomb their kicks, so don’t understand your point.
Gets worse when we are under pressure and our systems fail - we resort to kicking blindly forward. From defence we sometimes kick it straight to an oppo because we don't look. Time pressure really squeezes players and then mistakes aplenty.

We need to get our systems right and when the oppo bring intense heat we need to hold steady somehow.

Yep, I watched WCE V Dees, the amount of times McGovern hit a target from a kick in was unbelievable. Beautiful set plays which allowed them to move the ball at speed into their forward line. I was quite envious.
Yeah I watched the game as well...

Most people would have needed to look twice to realise that, that was eagles actually doing that - it seemed surreal in a way. How they turned their game around from previous last few seasons against a quality opposition was remarkable.

Their backs/mids/forwards all clicked. It was a pleasure to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn had them on toast yesterday. Port aren’t that good.

There is an alternate argument that Hawthorn, and W/C for that matter, are better teams than we all may have thought at the beginning of the year. If we crack both at the wrong time they're no easy beats.

North and, possibly, the Saints are looking like the only two teams that we should be able to really bank a win at the moment.

There is an alternate argument that Hawthorn, and W/C for that matter, are better teams than we all may have thought at the beginning of the year. If we crack both at the wrong time they're no easy beats.

North and, possibly, the Saints are looking like the only two teams that we should be able to really bank a win at the moment.

Tiggers?

I’m sure(I really hope) with hopefully a few pieces to the puzzle back this week we’ll come out breathing fire with some real intent and flare.
Want to see us running in waves off half back linking up through the midfield, changing angles ect and get the thing into the forwards as quickly as possible to give them a chance.

We’ll need to know the damage and bruise report after Friday night’s touch up, by the Swans. TDK must be carrying some pain unsighted all night and we all know Weitering ain’t too good. Will affect the outcome agonist Suns and Port games. Reckon Bombers are flying, got the fingers crossed but this game will be very difficult to overcome , at this point of the season.

Way too simplistic.

If you win the ball and use it well, the alleged speed issue is a non issue.

A fast thinker is way 'quicker' than a slow thinker who runs a 2.8 sec 20m.

Every day of the week.

If you've coughed the ball up cheaply, Gulden's chances of stopping the ball movement forward are negligibly better than George Hewett's on any given day.

Though Hewett's bad days invariably see him making slow decisions and getting caught....

Agree 100%. The pace definetely does effect the quality of the exit though. Its why when we’re on we surge the ball instead of hitting up clean targets. The width of the hit zone affects our mids influence greatly too. Our rucks should just grab the ball and get tackled then we can put numbers around the next contest when our opposition is hot like the swans were.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree 100%. The pace definetely does effect the quality of the exit though. Its why when we’re on we surge the ball instead of hitting up clean targets. The width of the hit zone affects our mids influence greatly too. Our rucks should just grab the ball and get tackled then we can put numbers around the next contest when our opposition is hot like the swans were.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree. Make it a slog, invite the oppo to match us at the contest and wear them down. At all costs stop the exit.

They push their half forwards to the stoppage we do the same.

We have the troops to wrestle momentum back this way.

And of course we got them basically at full strength in Rd 1. :rolleyes:

For some reason we always seem to get teams when they are pretty much their Best 22. I wonder if we could have beat the Cats with the team they fielded last Thurs???

Yeah, fixture really has stuffed us. Got a lot of tough teams at their peak.

We get the Tigers again though as well as Norf. Just need to get through the next 4 games then onward and upward.

We should beat the Suns at Marvel, Port in Adelaide we probably lose but not without a chance, * will be a 50-50 and the Cats I reckon we'd be favourites for that unless they recapture their early season form.

This will be the last really tough 4 game stretch.

Agree. Make it a slog, invite the oppo to match us at the contest and wear them down. At all costs stop the exit.

They push their half forwards to the stoppage we do the same.

We have the troops to wrestle momentum back this way.
That's what we had to do on Friday night and on the SCG I thought it would be easier to accomplish. Think we were a bit off mentally. The desire was not at top levels based on what I saw. Need to get it back quick as it's the only way we win games. If our pressure is off slightly we get opened up. It's a hard way to play and I don't think it's sustainable. It's why we have to add different personnel to take advantage of our clearance game. We need more pace and skill in the middle and up forward. Maybe, with Saady returning, we can add Cinc to the midfield mix as others have suggested. What do we have to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back