Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
Durdin > Motlop
Marchbank > Cowan
Cincotta > Saad, Cinc unlucky

Williams stays forward, thought he showed a bit up there.
Carroll was okay, but wouldn’t mind seeing any of Binns, Wilson or Moir as the sub.
Orazio survives until Fog is ready. Very lucky.

First game I'll be heading to this season with the rest of the family. 5yo has been asking when we're going to watch Carlton every week since the season started, and will be my 3yo's first game.

Please win :hearteyes:
All good mate, I’m taking my 6 year old (who’s been wanting to get to a game all year). It’ll be his 4th or 5h game and he’s never seen a loss.

Had our run of hard games against top 4 sides, these are the games we need to be able to win. At Home in Melbourne we just have to.

Players to come back in. I don't think Weitering will miss, think we just iced him.

We will have some much welcome inclusions.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Kemp
Hollands Curnow Binns
Motlop McKay Fogarty
DeKoning Kennedy Walsh
Boyd Owies Carroll Hewett
Hollands

Go back to one ruck.
More run.
I still think that side is far too slow.
Some talented inclusions help.
Backline is best 22. But won't function unless the midfield adds speed and that applies more pressure.

I want to see some help for Cripps. Every game since Freo he's had someone in front of him blocking him and someone holding his waist. We don't help him.

The formula is simple. Bring your half back to about 15m behind the stoppage. Put 2 on cripps and put your warner, daicos, Miers, Kelly type on Kennedy or Hewett and say just run off them. We will have our Viney/Rowbottom etc type feed it to you. Or the ruck will give you a clean on the move tap. Carlton can't defend it.

We don't stop the backwards exit with a small covering their half back behind the stoppage. We don't run through the players on Cripps. We have Walsh and Kennedy starting offensive side of oppositions fastest in out midfielders and we have Hewett who..... Idk what does hewett do now?

If pitto doesn't rip it out himself or deliver it to Cripps perfectly we get scored against. We don't just lose the stoppage we get scored against. Which says we are STILL setting up not to react to the stoppage result but to capitalise on winning the stoppage. Which is arrogance, lazy and wrong.

All the other shit. I agree is shit. Small forwards, Harry falling over, slow outside runners etc. But until we fix the play at the source none of that even matters anyway.

If Fantasia plays again then Voss is stepping into Pagan/Mick Martin territory.

Binns absolutely should have played last night.
How is fantasia being mentioned before durdin. Fanta gave owies a goal he could've kicked himself, had some touches. Should've had a goal himself. He isn't up to standard but if fantasia is a 1/10 and would have your opinion of Voss pushed to pagan Mick Martin type selections then wtf is durdin????

Had our run of hard games against top 4 sides, these are the games we need to be able to win. At Home in Melbourne we just have to.

Players to come back in. I don't think Weitering will miss, think we just iced him.

We will have some much welcome inclusions.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps Kemp
Hollands Curnow Binns
Motlop McKay Fogarty
DeKoning Kennedy Walsh
Boyd Owies Carroll Hewett
Hollands

Go back to one ruck.
More run.
I still think that side is far too slow.
Some talented inclusions help.
Backline is best 22. But won't function unless the midfield adds speed and that applies more pressure.
Agree. We have a need for speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want us to stop bombing the ball as our way of transitioning the ball up the ground. Where is the run and forward handball gone? They said in the commentary that only North is worse than us at transitioning the ball. That's bloody awful.

Newman has been one of our biggest culprits recently.

I just want us to stop bombing the ball as our way of transitioning the ball up the ground. Where is the run and forward handball gone? They said in the commentary that only North is worse than us at transitioning the ball. That's bloody awful.

Newman has been one of our biggest culprits recently.
More than bombing, it is shallow entries. Last night we were shallow on a small ground

More than bombing, it is shallow entries. Last night we were shallow on a small ground
Walsh. 2nd qtr. Free players 20-30m away would've taken marks close to their 50. Instead ignores and bombs to a really shallow entry. Handball and a kick later swans had rebounded down the guts for a set shot. Horrible decision making.

How is fantasia being mentioned before durdin. Fanta gave owies a goal he could've kicked himself, had some touches. Should've had a goal himself. He isn't up to standard but if fantasia is a 1/10 and would have your opinion of Voss pushed to pagan Mick Martin type selections then wtf is durdin????
Spot on........

But we all wonder where the durdin we had when he first came to the blurs. I had such high hopes for him back then

I want to see some help for Cripps. Every game since Freo he's had someone in front of him blocking him and someone holding his waist. We don't help him.

The formula is simple. Bring your half back to about 15m behind the stoppage. Put 2 on cripps and put your warner, daicos, Miers, Kelly type on Kennedy or Hewett and say just run off them. We will have our Viney/Rowbottom etc type feed it to you. Or the ruck will give you a clean on the move tap. Carlton can't defend it.

We don't stop the backwards exit with a small covering their half back behind the stoppage. We don't run through the players on Cripps. We have Walsh and Kennedy starting offensive side of oppositions fastest in out midfielders and we have Hewett who..... Idk what does hewett do now?

If pitto doesn't rip it out himself or deliver it to Cripps perfectly we get scored against. We don't just lose the stoppage we get scored against. Which says we are STILL setting up not to react to the stoppage result but to capitalise on winning the stoppage. Which is arrogance, lazy and wrong.

All the other s**t. I agree is s**t. Small forwards, Harry falling over, slow outside runners etc. But until we fix the play at the source none of that even matters anyway.
Nail. On. Head!

And when our mid set up is not working we just keep doing the same old thing - because of our we bring our best and we'll be right mentality instead of looking closely at where we are failing and trying to fix it.

Coaches need to get to work in preparing better for oppos strengths/weaknesses and making adjustments as required during games.

All the other s**t. I agree is s**t. Small forwards, Harry falling over, slow outside runners etc. But until we fix the play at the source none of that even matters anyway.
Yup, the only time we've really fixed it in the last 18 months is by dropping Dow in so they have something else to tap to and the opposition have to defend, or Dow closed the space fast if we didn't win it.

That's the simple difference sufficient pace and anticipation across 4 quarters can produce. We then dropped in Fogarty, Motlop, Durdin, Martin, Cuningham as required to keep that momentum up.

Then we brought back Kennedy from injury and just. ****ing. stopped. Walsh, Cerra, and Cripps lifted for finals but ran themselves into the ground because there was no plan B.

Kennedy can succeed in a faster midfield unit, but we aren't it. Trade him out and reinvest in the draft or trade period as the value presents itself.
Bins has a huge bandage on his left leg. Maybe why he didn’t play seniors
I mean he's playing... and somewhat on-ball?

Walsh. 2nd qtr. Free players 20-30m away would've taken marks close to their 50. Instead ignores and bombs to a really shallow entry. Handball and a kick later swans had rebounded down the guts for a set shot. Horrible decision making.
He is playing VERY selfish football - every week, be kind and call it trying to do it all himself...personally I'm starting to think he checks his brains in at the locker room before going on to the field - he isnt alone.

Wot. Kennedy was on warner at the centre bounce in those qtrs until he got flung to full forward in the third because he was playing so terribly.

Nope. You'd think you'd need to be sure before a rebuttal like that. I just went back and watched every centre bounce in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. A couple of asides added in. He was on Warner for the one bounce that Warner scored from, and it was pot luck as to where the tap went. Rowbottom did the damage there.

Qtr 2

1. Kennedy on Heeney, harassed Heeney, turned over for Carlton clearance
2. Not at bounce
3. Kennedy on Heeney - neither had an effect
4. Kennedy on Heeney - neither had an effect
5. Kennedy on Heeney - Free against Heeney, clearance to Kennedy

Qtr 3

1. Kennedy on Heeney - Kennedy pushed Heeney away, one handed touch on ball but Rowbottom cleared

*Kennedy left Heeney in general play to tackle Warner and turn the ball over

2. Kennedy on Heeney - both no effect

* Goal to Heeney, both in front of contest, but ball went directly to Heeney who snapped. Nothing Kennedy could have done.

3. Kennedy on Warner. At the Blues attacking side of the circle. Grundy tap went to Rowbottom who pushed Cripps off and found Warner on the outside. Goal.
4. Kennedy on Rowbottom - Kennedy actually stopped Warner but Swans got the ball out anyway.
5. Not at bounce
6. Not at bounce
7. Not at bounce
8. Kennedy on Heeney - Heeney clearance as Pitto lost it and Rowbottom got it out
9. Not at bounce. Durdin was interestingly

*Kennedy forward and a goal

10. Not at bounce. Durdin was again.

Last edited:
Nope. You'd think you'd need to be sure before a rebuttal like that. I just went back and watched every centre bounce in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. A couple of asides added in. He was on Warner for the one bounce that Warner scored from, and it was pot luck as to where the tap went. Rowbottom did the damage there.

Qtr 2

1. Kennedy on Heeney, harassed Heeney, turned over for Carlton clearance
2. Not at bounce
3. Kennedy on Heeney - neither had an effect
4. Kennedy on Heeney - neither had an effect
5. Kennedy on Heeney - Free against Heeney, clearance to Kennedy

Qtr 3

1. Kennedy on Heeney - Kennedy pushed Heeney away, one handed touch on ball but Rowbottom cleared

*Kennedy left Heeney in general play to tackle Warner and turn the ball over

2. Kennedy on Heeney - both no effect

* Goal to Heeney, both in front of contest, but ball went directly to Heeney who snapped. Nothing Kennedy could have done.

3. Kennedy on Warner. At the Blues attacking side of the circle. Grundy tap went to Rowbottom who pushed Cripps off and found Warner on the outside. Goal.
4. Kennedy on Rowbottom - Kennedy actually stopped Warner but Swans got the ball out anyway.
5. Not at bounce
6. Not at bounce
7. Not at bounce
8. Kennedy on Heeney - Heeney clearance as Pitto lost it and Rowbottom got it out
9. Not at bounce. Durdin was interestingly

*Kennedy forward and a goal

10. Not at bounce. Durdin was again.

That is a big effort ODN - don't know if you ever use slow ,motion - that is even more telling in certain plays as to who is doing what and who is not doing the other thing etc...

I think Kennedy switched to forwards when Heeney was moved their forward line - I thought it was a conscious move by Longmuir similar to Goodwin - moving Peracca the previous week as Kennedy had him covered in the CBB and general play. No doubt both Petracca and Heeney have Kennedy covered for leg speed - but equally no doubt Kennedy has most one on ones covered in the clinches and ground ball hard ball game - Kennedy seems to get criticised for not being what he isnt supposed to be....and his positives ignored because - reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back