Preview 2024 Rd 10 Carlton v Sydney Friday 17th May 7:40PM AEST @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Jack Carroll, Orazio Fantasia, Caleb Marchbank, Zac Williams
OUT: Adam Cerra (hamstring), Matthew Cottrell (foot), Jack Martin (calf), Lachie Cowan

Round 10 team v Sydney
Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Caleb MarchbankMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Zac WilliamsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Ollie HollandsTom De KoningElijah Hollands
Forwards:Harry McKayCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
Corey DurdinGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Lachlan CowanJaxon BinnsLewis Young

Ollie gets caught HTB more than any player on field due to his lack of pace
As Stamos mentioned, that's got very little to do with his pace. He covers the ground better than anyone else and his average speed in attack was second on Thursday night, just behind Walsh.

As Stamos mentioned, that's got very little to do with his pace. He covers the ground better than anyone else and his average speed in attack was second on Thursday night, just behind Walsh.
Not sure average speed is a relevant metric... The guys that run all day at similar speed (Hollands and Walsh) will have strong average speeds.

However, don't think Ollie has anything resembling breakaway pace, burst speed etc, which I believe most people are referring to when identifying if a player is 'quick'.

My untested theory: I think we struggle against a certain style, and thrive against another.

Against the teams who have poor midfields so focus on intercepts, possession and transition our structures struggle. Cats, Pies.

Against the teams who have strong midfields...well our Cripps/Walsh led midfield can out-do them. GWS, Melbourne

What style is Sydney?

My untested theory: I think we struggle against a certain style, and thrive against another.

Against the teams who have poor midfields so focus on intercepts, possession and transition our structures struggle. Cats, Pies.

Against the teams who have strong midfields...well our Cripps/Walsh led midfield can out-do them. GWS, Melbourne

What style is Sydney?
Zoolander Blue Steel GIF

Not sure average speed is a relevant metric... The guys that run all day at similar speed (Hollands and Walsh) will have strong average speeds.

However, don't think Ollie has anything resembling breakaway pace, burst speed etc, which I believe most people are referring to when identifying if a player is 'quick'.
Completely disagree.

If we need more pace, having it consistently across the game is very important. Burst speed of course matters as well but the consistent speed is something we lack.

We're too slow right across the board I think.

What style is Sydney?
Feel like they are a bit of both

Looking forward to what I think could be a grand final preview. You guys match up well on us with your monster goal kicking forwards. You also capitalise on momentum better than any other team. That and you’ll be getting key players back at the business end of the season leads me to thinking you will peak when it matters most.

Our midfield speed and rebound transition is our strength.

After playing on the concrete of Optus, multiple 6 day breaks, feel we might come out pretty flat and you might get us.

In any case a genuine 50/50 match, just hope no injuries to either team.

I like fast players.

Looking forward to what I think could be a grand final preview. You guys match up well on us with your monster goal kicking forwards. You also capitalise on momentum better than any other team. That and you’ll be getting key players back at the business end of the season leads me to thinking you will peak when it matters most.

After playing on the concrete of Optus, multiple 6 day breaks, feel we might come out pretty flat and you might get us.

I like fast players.
We’ve just played 3 games in 13 days and have possibly lost our most important recent player out of the centre in pitto. Potentially missing Cerra again too who was so good in the first half v melb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hollands game was basically a tale of 2 halves. First half was one of his best, the 2nd he was a reason for Melbourne coming back with his lack of processing speed and getting pinged.

I've seen posts saying he should be dropped and others saying it was one of his best games

I wonder how the MC have reviewed it.

Heeney is having a career best season, finally having an injury free run. Have to be Brownlow favourite right now.

After a slowish start to the season, Gulden is hitting top form. We all know about his pace and exquisite left foot.
Chad Warner is quick and has been kicking goals.

Tay Adams for some inside grunt.

This midfield has more in common with giants and cats and will cause us plenty of problems, imo.
Of course swans still have Rowbottom, Jordan and Florent who can run through the middle as well.

Had a glance at their game day thread. Some saying Parker is a big chance to play, also Campbell could also be a chance.
Wicks and Roberts have been a little down and could be dropped.

Massive game for both clubs, Swans coming off their Perth trip may help a little.

I like fast players.
Is Blakey play?

Ollie gets caught HTB more than any player on field due to his lack of pace

Binns isn't quicker than Hollands

Binns does have better agility though

What style is Sydney?
This is absolutely true and has been for the entire Voss era.

Sydney are definitely similar to the Cats and Pies.

I reckon it’s awareness not pace
It's a bit of both. Ollie doesn't have that acceleration over the first few strides to put space into the opponent like a Saad, but also doesn't have the spatial awareness given that lack of acceleration.

I've mentioned it before, but it's something that was present in his game even at U18 level, so it's an aspect of his game he'll need to work on - especially with the faster pace at senior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back