Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Shinboner with a (speculative, rather than analytical) take on our offense.

i think this cleary shows our issue, and this issue effects our scoring profile.

we are allowing opposition end to end too easily.

ill tell you why, when the opposition gets the ball in our attacking 50, we allow them an easy kick. we always give them the least dangerous kick, and our oppo can move the ball slowly and safely up the ground.

this denies us turnover close to goal and easy scoring opportunities. also not getting repeat inside 50s.

i think this cleary shows our issue, and this issue effects our scoring profile.

ill tell you why, when the opposition gets the ball in our attacking 50, we allow them an easy kick. we always give them the least dangerous kick, and our oppo can move the ball slowly and safely up the ground.

this denies us turnover close to goal and easy scoring opportunities. also not getting repeat inside 50s.
Yeah, I think his analysis is incomplete in that he identifyies lack of forward half pressure as the problem. When the ball is live, the pressure is good, inside 50 at least. It's when oppo has control from a mark or a kick in that we zone off to allow (or even encourage) a kick to the least dangerous option.

Loss of Darcy and introduction of Tabs. result, less marks inside 50, less goals, less pressure inside 50. I didnt look up stats but thats what it looks like to me. Walters also became ineffective either because of these two changes or he is just old and tired. Falling on the ground a lot isnt going to help.
Watching Pre Season games / training and triple J's had the symmetry and Tabs did not.

Loss of Darcy and introduction of Tabs. result, less marks inside 50, less goals, less pressure inside 50. I didnt look up stats but thats what it looks like to me. Walters also became ineffective either because of these two changes or he is just old and tired. Falling on the ground a lot isnt going to help.
Watching Pre Season games / training and triple J's had the symmetry and Tabs did not.
Amiss also had better stats when Darcy played, but might be because Jackson was in the forward line

I think we need to acknowledge what Collingwood has overcome with their trips to Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

McRae said the Magpies used the 13-day break between fixtures to physically recuperate from a tough run that included short breaks and three interstate games
"You don't get too many opportunities to take a breath, but we probably needed it more than we realised. We had a really heavy start to the season with six-day breaks and travel," McRae said.

I think we need to acknowledge what Collingwood has overcome with their trips to Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

McRae said the Magpies used the 13-day break between fixtures to physically recuperate from a tough run that included short breaks and three interstate games
"You don't get too many opportunities to take a breath, but we probably needed it more than we realised. We had a really heavy start to the season with six-day breaks and travel," McRae said.
Do we have to applaud them...?! :think:

Do we have to applaud them...?! :think:
suck my dick GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is some limited footage on this DVD. Shows crowls doing some of his best work. Also, God bless super Grover!
Are you sure? every time that derby has been brought up its always followed by it wasn't filmed.

If they had limited footage on there then surely the whole thing was captured?

Are you sure? every time that derby has been brought up its always followed by it wasn't filmed.

If they had limited footage on there then surely the whole thing was captured?
I have the DVD but they only show about a 30 second clip from memory. Can't say where further media from the game can be found.

I have the DVD but they only show about a 30 second clip from memory. Can't say where further media from the game can be found.
Gives me hope of something surfacing one day, would be weird to record 30 seconds and nothing else

I tried to dig up some video archives from the oval a while ago but couldn't find anything online.

They video'd the battle of britain back in the day but I think that was televised here

Imagine if you took the likes of O’Meara out of the current side and replaced him with Crowley.
Reid wouldn’t have been running around having fun last week that’s for sure.
I agree with this. I feel like the team reflects J-Lo's personality a bit too comfortably now, readily at times. Too bland and unsure; hesitant and over-thinking. Prone to feeling that the best mode of 'attack' is to hold structure, out-defend the opposition and stifle their game, rather than expand our own. I'm not saying don't do these things or eradicate the impressive defensive elements you have - more that it feels like that's all J-Lo has got and the team are frustrated by it (maybe). It amazes me we can be so lob-sided, a defensive juggernaut (prior to Sat night granted!) but bordering on impotent going forward and in forward-creating play. I think one of the reasons we were much better in 2022 besides being #2 in defense and scoring off turnovers more, was because Mundy was still effective - he couldn't run, but he could think. And he could kick. And his big frame also meant he was still tough around ground ball scrimmages and stoppages. His delivery inside forward 50 was often a weighted kick to a leading target, whereas a lot of Serong and Andy's are quick blazes from a stoppage or centre-clearance of late, too much hack-kicking in hope, or maybe to get the ball forward and try and lock it in. And when it isn't they've got the likes of Tabs with 2 defenders hanging off him or sometimes Walters in a mis-match. The quality is missing, maybe the quality of player is also missing (??). Jye is quality, but prior to his concussion he's just looked a little off. Not quite on his A-game. And of course, incrementally we lose experience - Lobb, Acres; even Logue, Schultz. Each of these players whilst not massive A graders were players we'd either developed or got humming in the system. It's hard to keep things sweet and cohesive when the revolving door is going na-na's!

Sharp has started off well and snagged a few nice goals, but he is also a quick-gut kick forward more so than hit a target on the lead type, or when he does it's someone that's spread wide or arced out from the opposition's 50, meaning we still need to hit a target from wide in the 50. Rather than through the guts of the corridor or in the forward 50 and it's not quite the chaos ball, it's more just launching the ball forward in the hopes maybe a mark can happen or some crumbers can go to work or we can force another stoppage around the boundary line. In many games, you may have to do this, but it feels like it's a default with Freo at times - the only 1 dimensional effort, rinse & repeat. It's become a worry now because if it reverts back to shades of 2023, we're going to freefall and eventually the list will stagnate and inevitably fragment. I think players will consider moving, J-Lo is under pressure now and he has to break his own mental-shackles that feel like they have him gripped in his own weird solipsistic coaching philosophy. Time to get radical 'boss'.

I know the knock on with Ross was he was also a defensive-minded, pressing and wearing down of the opposition coach, and he had a more seasoned outfit to take over from Harvey from, but he almost immediately got the team to reflect him - harder, more ruthless and take-no-prisoners in that pomp of 2012-2015. Then came the duality and the other side of the fence; Ross couldn't rebuild for toffee. It wasn't his schtick. But I hear you, Crowley types might have made a difference, but I'm not sure who on our list reflects that and if nicely-nice types like Jaeger will just continue to get gigs and plod along. If they do, J-Lo and the club is in big trouble because promises won't be delivered on. All eyes on the ANZAC game now, what has J-Lo got up his sleeve, we will see.........

Well last year we left the defense to its own devises and look what happened. The same as what happened against WC. Probably time to pull off the bandaid and let the defense stand on it own collective two feet. If they can't defend, replace them. If the midfield can't make something of their opportunities or mix it physically with the other midfields or run hard enough to support the defense, run both ways or offer options then replace them as well. We may as well lose the way we intend to play when we grow up.
Would be interesting to see how the supporters would take to that.

Not a lot to take away from that interview really. Doesn't give away anything in terms of changes and overall a pretty uninspiring response from such a bad loss.

D*ckhead that abused Walters was in WCE colours, not racial in nature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back