List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2018
I can't see a thread for this (mod's, please merge if so...)

There's a few more articles starting to pop up - I believe we have a pick available

So what do we go for?

For me, a mature age small forward who can provide depth to Walters and support whilst we develop Emmett and Delean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a few more articles starting to pop up - I believe we have a pick available

So what do we go for?

For me, a mature age small forward who can provide depth to Walters and support whilst we develop Emmett and Delean

Potentially also a Stanley/NOD replacement as well. Although I still think Worner/Wagner could play a wing a role.

So what do we go for?

Probably our greatest need so I'd go with a small forward too. Only question I'd have is whether that hinders the development of Simpson and Delean?

Best available player that isn't an inside mid, key defender or ruck IMO.

The level of talent isn't going to be amazing at pick 10 or so in the MSD, so whatever useful depth/project player we can get we should take. Target more specific needs in the National Draft later this year.

I agree it'd ideally be a small forward but if there isn't one that's good enough to be on our list I'd rather us just draft someone who is.

Last edited:
Depending on our ladder position, I don’t think we’ll take anyone if we’re not in the top 10 picks.
There's probably enough teams below us that will be taking for needs that someone on our shortlist makes it to us (coz with the defence coping really well with no Cox or McDonald I don't see us drafting for needs unless we get a really bad injury). It's probably gonna be a project-type and will almost certainly be under 23.

I guess the question to ask is given whoever we pick up in the MSD will probably not be out the door in 6 months unless they really really stink it up, is it worth the list spot? Looking at our current OOC players, and presuming a relatively conservative estimate of 6 departures (just as an example, some may disagree with the specific names):
  • Conrad Williams is still essentially a free list spot for another year as Cat B NGA.
  • Banfield and Emmett are best 22, you re-sign them for sure. Also keep around at least 1 of (but maybe more likely 2 of) Jones, Reidy and Knobel. Voss you re-sign, and Wagner too probably. Stanley you probably keep around.
  • Corbett and Kuek go. You don't keep all 3 of the aforementioned big men. Tabs and Hughes aren't the worst squad players in the world but their tenure probably comes to an end.
  • Sturt and NOD are probably the most up in the air for me depending on how the season goes. Also I haven't accounted for any contracted players that depart, realistically this is Freo so we'll probably end up with 1 or 2 of them.
At some point, when you're bringing in a MSD project type, you're in a way signing off on the 7th-ish player on the cutting block. Let's say that's a Sturt or a NOD. Is [insert MSD pick-up] worth delisting that player?

Screenshot 2024-05-08 at 8.26.08 pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, there is enough pressure for list spots that there needs to be a genuine talent for us to bother. Seems unlikely with pick 7-12.
Do we think it's likely there is a better prospect at pick 7-12 in the MSD than pick 9-14 in the Rookie Draft at years end?

I'm happy doing nothing in the rookie draft but redraft delisted depth players (there is barely enough room on the senior list of 36 for a core squad of 30 plus recent draftees) but thought I'd ask that question.

Still of the opinion we should be taking four most years in the National Draft too btw.

Last edited:
There's probably enough teams below us that will be taking for needs that someone on our shortlist makes it to us (coz with the defence coping really well with no Cox or McDonald I don't see us drafting for needs unless we get a really bad injury). It's probably gonna be a project-type and will almost certainly be under 23.

I guess the question to ask is given whoever we pick up in the MSD will probably not be out the door in 6 months unless they really really stink it up, is it worth the list spot? Looking at our current OOC players, and presuming a relatively conservative estimate of 6 departures (just as an example, some may disagree with the specific names):
  • Conrad Williams is still essentially a free list spot for another year as Cat B NGA.
  • Banfield and Emmett are best 22, you re-sign them for sure. Also keep around at least 1 of (but maybe more likely 2 of) Jones, Reidy and Knobel. Voss you re-sign, and Wagner too probably. Stanley you probably keep around.
  • Corbett and Kuek go. You don't keep all 3 of the aforementioned big men. Tabs and Hughes aren't the worst squad players in the world but their tenure probably comes to an end.
  • Sturt and NOD are probably the most up in the air for me depending on how the season goes. Also I haven't accounted for any contracted players that depart, realistically this is Freo so we'll probably end up with 1 or 2 of them.
At some point, when you're bringing in a MSD project type, you're in a way signing off on the 7th-ish player on the cutting block. Let's say that's a Sturt or a NOD. Is [insert MSD pick-up] worth delisting that player?

Agree with your analysis. The mid-season draft hasn't been lucrative for teams outside of the first few selections. If a list spot for next season was between a speculative mid season pick or Noddy/Sturt, I'd go for the latter.

We should obviously see what's available with our pick, but I'd prefer us to be cautious.

If youre after a small forward, Essendon VFL small forward Oskar Smartt has started the year off extremely well. Kicked 4 in a game earlier in the year, played in the VFL young guns series and did well. Some suggest he was stiff to miss rookie listing last year.

I fully expect him to be taken in the MSD. Couldn’t go astray with him if you were wanting a small fwd

Isiah Winder​

Isiah-Winder-Peel-WAFL.jpg

Height: 180cm

Weight: 79kg
D.O.B: 16-05-2002
Leagues: WAFL Colts
Image Credit: Owen Davies/Peel Thunder

POSITION: Midfielder/Small Forward

STRENGTHS:
  • Athleticism
  • Speed/agility
  • Vertical leap
  • Kicking/creativity
  • Clean hands
  • Football smarts
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
DRAFT ANALYSIS: A player who has come on strongly over the past 18 months, Winder has a vast array of weapons which catch the eye of onlookers. Winder’s athletic strength was highlighted at the WA Draft Combine, where he finished in the top five of every test, including winning the vertical jump test and the 20-metre sprint. Something which sets him apart it his ability to utilise his athleticism on the field; bursting away from stoppages with speed, zipping around opponents, and rising to take some terrific aerial marks for a player of his size.

Winder also has one of the best kicks going inside 50, often lowering his eyes to spot up a team-mate on the lead or in space. The 180cm prospect is low to the ground and clean in his delivery, able to spear or weight his passes to avoid intercepts.

He has also demonstrated an ability to be a threat whenever he is stationed inside the forward 50. He is smart with his leading patterns, strong overhead and is a solid kick for goal. That kind of attacking acumen makes him such a dangerous and impactful player, though he can certainly work on more consistently applying himself defensively.

He had 27 and a goal for SF today. Played for Peel before being recruited by WC. Nice skills and smooth mover iirc. God knows we need someone who can kick.
It has worked before with the Cats and Tigers. Kelly and Pickett both improved their clubs after being overlooked for years.
We should have some insight too from his Peel days.
But is he a goal kicking mid, or a small forward at AFL?
As a mid he is just another name stuck behind the favourites of the coach.
If Erasmus can’t get a game, or find a spot with his disposal numbers?
Brodie being banished, as a midfielder it might not be a wise pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back