List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Jaspar - saying that Champion could end up like Liam Henry is sure to sell him to Freo fans (I don't think he will go in the Top 25 anyway so it is a moot point).

I think this list undersells some of the talls in the draft; Guys like Faull, Gerryen I think deserve to be in the conversation for Top 20, even if only at the back end of that at this stage. Some of those midfielders in 10-20 are reliant on being hard workers and certainly don't have the speed or foot skills that most fans are looking for.

Some of the Father Son prospects may also fall outside the Top 20 when it comes to it.

Well done Jaspar - saying that Champion could end up like Liam Henry is sure to sell him to Freo fans (I don't think he will go in the Top 25 anyway so it is a moot point).

I think this list undersells some of the talls in the draft; Guys like Faull, Gerryen I think deserve to be in the conversation for Top 20, even if only at the back end of that at this stage. Some of those midfielders in 10-20 are reliant on being hard workers and certainly don't have the speed or foot skills that most fans are looking for.

Some of the Father Son prospects may also fall outside the Top 20 when it comes to it.
Whitlock kicking goals recently? Top 20?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is brilliant but can't kick for s**t. Reminds me of a young Bolton. I am hesitant to bring in another player with average field kicking though.
I've only seen some video of him but he looks fantastic.. His kicking looked sound.

I agree - i am done with ordinary kicks. Our current team is littered with them!

Hotton is the only player in that top 20 who appeals to me (ignoring all the unavailable ones). So many small midfielders, with a few KPD thrown in. Looks like a bad draft for us to be keeping our first rounders. If we go into the draft trying to get Hotton and someone else takes him, then we are up s**t creek.

Hopefully the order changes a lot by the end of the year (which admittedly usually happens), or there are some forwards we can trade in with our first rounders.

Hotton’s disposal is very suspect. High ball drop and lots of float kicks…do not want
Watching his highlights on YouTube from the grand final replay and id have him comfortably a better kick than 6 of our players that suited up against on Saturday night.

Hi Chris 25 with probability of our three 1st round picks falling between 9 to 16 , who are the best players suits us in 2024 draft ?

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Realistically unless you have picks in the first 6 it is a lottery and you could get someone better at say 23 than 11. We have had too many years playing the lottery so let someone else play that game...trade the picks for players to fix our weaknesses.

Realistically unless you have picks in the first 6 it is a lottery and you could get someone better at say 23 than 11. We have had too many years playing the lottery so let someone else play that game...trade the picks for players to fix our weaknesses.

Still not convinced we have enough A graders.
I think we hit the draft this year with at least 2 first round picks, and then we can top up next year with players like Warner.

Says he could go up the ground like Henry. Walters was exactly this player.
Champion is nothing like Henry. He’s been playing against men since he was 15.
Seeks out physical altercations, and as long as he can kick over 40m, I don’t see how we could not take him if a available?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The eagles are still in a hole.

Take out there old players, and they are s**t.

Mate, Warner will be drowning in HJ’s franchises and we will have no extra currency.

Warner and Reid will be a great duo. If we want Warner and he wants to leave, we don’t * around, we get it done now

Still not convinced we have enough A graders.
I think we hit the draft this year with at least 2 first round picks, and then we can top up next year with players like Warner.
But your picks are not going to be high enough to get A graders unless we bundle them up and get in the Top 5.

Says he could go up the ground like Henry. Walters was exactly this player.
Champion is nothing like Henry. He’s been playing against men since he was 15.
Seeks out physical altercations, and as long as he can kick over 40m, I don’t see how we could not take him if a available?
Walters was a midfielder as junior player.

I actually think he (Champion) is a very short kick and will be shorter when he is in the AFL and has to run all day. I have also seen him be very inaccurate in games as well; I think he is more an up the ground run and chip player than a small forward, which may be problematic at the next level up given his size. Yes he has been playing against men in amateurs and likes a fight (he did play a couple of pre-season games in Subiaco seniors), but this is professional football we are talking about him playing.

On the flip side I do like his agility and I think his speed is decent, so the combination of those two things will help him get drafted. He also has a very good standing jump and his endurance is okay.

Disagree. Lots of A graders come from late 1st round picks. Not many players traded in do.
Generally agree with your draft philosophy but I am not so sure about this.
I would say there are plenty of A graders in the top 10, maybe top 12.
But 13-20 and 21-30 are often not much different in many drafts. There are A LOT of busts and role players with C grade ceilings in that range.
For example I’d rather take 6 and 9 to the draft, than say, 4, 14 and 16.
In the latter case, I’d take 4 at the draft and trade 14 and 16 for the likes of Warner

Moraes and Gross sound pretty promising from that lot as mid/fwd with good skills and athletic traits.

Also wouldn’t mind Peel coaching team swinging Bo Allen fwd and see if he could perform that 3rd tall fwd role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back