2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolded for what I would considered wins

Q1 (11:02) - gets pushed off and lets Curnow run and jump at a pack ball not impacting anything at all
Q1 (6:02) - We get caught on the rebound, McKay is all alone out the back, Draper probably not quite quick enough to react or slightly out of position, jumps without contesting but does well not to give away a free kick I suppose, McKay takes an uncontested mark then inexplicably drops the ball running into goal
Q1 (4:25) - Contests a ground ball with Curnow really well, halving the 50/50 and Walker helps mop up
Q1 (3:51) - Loses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks and handpassess to runners
Q2 (19:15) - Losses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks
Q2 (18:02) - I'll give him a pass for Jackson jumping in front but again Curnow gets a clean leap in a pack without any impact from Draper
Q2 (13:10) - 1v1 with Curnow he halves and spoils, does well

Possibly rotated off Curnow here, Pearce in the next 3 contests with Curnow does well

Q2 (0:38) - Wins 1v1 with McKay, does really well
Q3 (19:20) - Trailing on the Curnow lead who marks uncontested
Q3 (18:13) - Gets a small block off ball then shows half a second of not reacting and TDK gets free, lucky kick was a bit shallow. Loses contested ground ball to small Carlton player. Needed to go a bit harder
Q3 (17:53) - Small mistake, goes into the contest wait for spills for a spoil but leaves 3 Carlton players unattended behind. Spoil goes over his head directly to the three players he was on. Shot on goal falls short
Q3 (17:00) - Loses touch with McKay after the ball goes over there head, McKay runs past him gets the clean collect off the spoil and runs into a Ryan brickwall for ball-up
Q3 (16:36) - Again too far off and Curnow gets a clean run and jump at a contest, saved by Ryan who is sandwhiched between Curnow and another Blue
Q3 (15:50) - Does his role in a pack mark, enough body pressure to make sure McKay doesnt get a clean run and jump
Q3 (14:54) - AGAIN Curnow gets a clean run and jump, this time he takes the mark, kicks the goals
Q3 (14:11) - Again is a metre off McKay heading into a contest who collects and is tackled by Aish
Q3 (4:25) - Falls to the ground from a Curnow side bump while the ball is in the air so Curnow has no one on him once the ball hits the ground. Spoiled away from Curnow
Q3 (0:57) - Loses 1v1 contest with Curnow middle of the ground. Curnow marks
Q4 (15:01) - Contests aerial group, helps ensure it's a contest.
Q4 (8:34) - Spoils Kennedy from behind, brings to ground
Q4 (7:25) - Gives away free kick to Kennedy for holding giving away a goal. It's slight but you hold the jumper you put yourself in danger
Q4 (4:25) - Contests in the pack
Q4 (3:50) - Loses Curnow on the lead who marks and misses
Q4 (2:41) - Loses 1v1 with Curnow who goals
Thanks.

Bolded for what I would considered wins

Q1 (11:02) - gets pushed off and lets Curnow run and jump at a pack ball not impacting anything at all
Q1 (6:02) - We get caught on the rebound, McKay is all alone out the back, Draper probably not quite quick enough to react or slightly out of position, jumps without contesting but does well not to give away a free kick I suppose, McKay takes an uncontested mark then inexplicably drops the ball running into goal
Q1 (4:25) - Contests a ground ball with Curnow really well, halving the 50/50 and Walker helps mop up
Q1 (3:51) - Loses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks and handpassess to runners
Q2 (19:15) - Losses direct 1v1 with Curnow who marks
Q2 (18:02) - I'll give him a pass for Jackson jumping in front but again Curnow gets a clean leap in a pack without any impact from Draper
Q2 (13:10) - 1v1 with Curnow he halves and spoils, does well

Possibly rotated off Curnow here, Pearce in the next 3 contests with Curnow does well

Q2 (0:38) - Wins 1v1 with McKay, does really well
Q3 (19:20) - Trailing on the Curnow lead who marks uncontested
Q3 (18:13) - Gets a small block off ball then shows half a second of not reacting and TDK gets free, lucky kick was a bit shallow. Loses contested ground ball to small Carlton player. Needed to go a bit harder
Q3 (17:53) - Small mistake, goes into the contest wait for spills for a spoil but leaves 3 Carlton players unattended behind. Spoil goes over his head directly to the three players he was on. Shot on goal falls short
Q3 (17:00) - Loses touch with McKay after the ball goes over there head, McKay runs past him gets the clean collect off the spoil and runs into a Ryan brickwall for ball-up
Q3 (16:36) - Again too far off and Curnow gets a clean run and jump at a contest, saved by Ryan who is sandwhiched between Curnow and another Blue
Q3 (15:50) - Does his role in a pack mark, enough body pressure to make sure McKay doesnt get a clean run and jump
Q3 (14:54) - AGAIN Curnow gets a clean run and jump, this time he takes the mark, kicks the goals
Q3 (14:11) - Again is a metre off McKay heading into a contest who collects and is tackled by Aish
Q3 (4:25) - Falls to the ground from a Curnow side bump while the ball is in the air so Curnow has no one on him once the ball hits the ground. Spoiled away from Curnow
Q3 (0:57) - Loses 1v1 contest with Curnow middle of the ground. Curnow marks
Q4 (15:01) - Contests aerial group, helps ensure it's a contest.
Q4 (8:34) - Spoils Kennedy from behind, brings to ground
Q4 (7:25) - Gives away free kick to Kennedy for holding giving away a goal. It's slight but you hold the jumper you put yourself in danger
Q4 (4:25) - Contests in the pack
Q4 (3:50) - Loses Curnow on the lead who marks and misses
Q4 (2:41) - Loses 1v1 with Curnow who goals
That late spoil from behind is the thing I think he does best defensively (probably that and general athleticism are the things he does better than Davies defensively imo) and it'll be a good tool to build off. Needs to add more especially physically as you've said, and that work in defensive 1 v 1s is where you'd assume Davies has Draper's number.

I like Draper as much as anyone, feel like I should say that before I get labeled as a hater of his. He is absolutely doing everything that’s asked of him.

I just don’t think there would be a drop off at all if Davies was to replace him - that’s the point I was making before the rush to defend Draper. And then we’d finish the season with having given both our young KPDs experience at the top level - something I think would benefit the club even more in the long term.

I think the benefit of getting games into Draper over Davies at this stage is I don't think Davies can play in the same team as Cox and Pearce atm.

Whereas getting Draper up to speed means he can slot straight into that 3rd/4th role if Ryan or Chapman are ever missing too.

Great to get some ground work into Draper, and a big plus to be hearing the optimism surrounding Davies. Worth remembering we have Murphy, a third kpd in development as well.

We know there is some strategic thinking about Chapman's future role, and that fits beautifully with Draper getting game time.

As with Young, he has a skillset that can make us more attacking in our transition into the forward zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back