List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Barnett’s manager pretty much confirmed on Gettable on the AFL site he’ll be signing a contract extension with West Coast so shaping up again that Crows list management will again just put the fingers in the ears and close the eyes when it comes to looking at any future ruck options 🤮… maybe after 3 more putrid years of ROB they might look at the position again once Goad’s out of contract
Harry started slowly but has been developing nicely although got monstered by Liam Reidy 23yo freo listed ruckman last week. We have another ruck/forward the same age Livingstone that he might be competing for a spot with in the future. A lot will also depend on the development of Archer Reid and if Flynn can stay on the park. Obviously I want him to stay at West Coast and I’m sure he will for at least the next 2-3 years but might be worth asking the question after that contract depending on both clubs needs. I’m sure us and Freo will both enquire about Curtin in 2026.

I’m probably more sympathetic than most when it comes to our inability to attract and retain quality off field staff. It’s a real issue for us but when there’s so many jobs available in Melbourne, plus a cap on coaching spend it does make it a legitimate barrier to enticing the best people

But lust management and recruitment are the 2 jobs this doesn’t apply to as it can and is done from a Melbourne base.

I’ve previously been an ogilve fan, now I’m more ambivalent. The inability/reluctance to target top end mids over such a long period does worry me now

But whether you’re a fan of him or not, with our Lack of success and just how long he’s been in the role it’s near impossible to argue that we shouldn’t be looking at a new set of eyes and philosophy for our recruiting. Especially in a position where we have no barrier that makes it harder to be in a position to genuinely identify and land the best candidate (not an internal promotion!)

Harry started slowly but has been developing nicely although got monstered by Liam Reidy 23yo freo listed ruckman last week. We have another ruck/forward the same age Livingstone that he might be competing for a spot with in the future. A lot will also depend on the development of Archer Reid and if Flynn can stay on the park. Obviously I want him to stay at West Coast and I’m sure he will for at least the next 2-3 years but might be worth asking the question after that contract depending on both clubs needs. I’m sure us and Freo will both enquire about Curtin in 2026.
What's Liam Reidy like?

What's Liam Reidy like?
Good size, thoroughly beat Batman but haven’t looked too closely at him as young rucks are not a list need for us at the moment. There’s a few stuck in the magoos around the comp that would be worth asking about at the end of the year though, you don’t seem to have too many options after ROB…

I’m probably more sympathetic than most when it comes to our inability to attract and retain quality off field staff. It’s a real issue for us but when there’s so many jobs available in Melbourne, plus a cap on coaching spend it does make it a legitimate barrier to enticing the best people

But lust management and recruitment are the 2 jobs this doesn’t apply to as it can and is done from a Melbourne base.

I’ve previously been an ogilve fan, now I’m more ambivalent. The inability/reluctance to target top end mids over such a long period does worry me now

But whether you’re a fan of him or not, with our Lack of success and just how long he’s been in the role it’s near impossible to argue that we shouldn’t be looking at a new set of eyes and philosophy for our recruiting. Especially in a position where we have no barrier that makes it harder to be in a position to genuinely identify and land the best candidate (not an internal promotion!)
Just take some bromide: that'll fix it! ;)

I hope we are not too invested in Harrison Petty…..

He’s not very good.
LDU is a gun & would comfortably enhance our midfield.

Far better targeted need than Petty for starters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s actually terrible
It’s too hard to judge playing in that Melbourne forward line, way better key forwards than him have been made to look totally ordinary under Goodwin, Jesse Hogan and Ben Brown spring to mind, both looked ordinary in that Goodwin setup under his tenure.

Agree the offer last year was bat s**t crazy but we know Reid just blows his load with surprise that someone is actually willing to join the Crows, don’t judge it on that offer if it involves a late, late 1st with something coming back or 2nd rounders and if it allows an actual strong marking player like Murray or Worrell to move into the forward line where one is desperately needed then it will be a more than worthwhile exercise.

Petty is a means to an end player, no he’s not the main man never has or will be but he allows you to unlock other players like he has with allowing Lever to be freed up in the past.

Last edited:
If we stay where we are and have a top 5 pick
We either batch this with our 2025 first and chase a mid
Eg. LDU

We don’t offer a first for Petty , he’s a wait until 2025 job
Or hit the draft

Smillie/Draper
Welsh

Mutineer I’d love us to find a way to get hands on Malakai Champion too

Wayne you need to rely less on stats and instead focus on your eye
The eye, given I watch every game, every week .....just reinforces my view, Lukosious is not worth chasing

Stats only ever validate the eye test

The eye, given I watch every game, every week .....just reinforces my view, Lukosious is not worth chasing

Stats only ever validate the eye test
Well how come you’re blind to Nicks then?

s**t game plan, s**t selections, top scoring to bottom, near bottom in so many key stats, 1-5 record and delusional press conferences and interviews.

You’ve got the whole package there and yet you’re ignoring your eye and the stats!

I'm not making any real assumptions with my post. After all, we're just at the point where we need luck to turn our start into a genuine contender - which every team has to contend with. No premierships are won without a metric s**t tonne of things going your way. Heck, I even specified how that works by listing three examples where our list goes from being in a solid place to a very healthy one before we hit the off season.

Our midfield never revolved around Crouch, O'Brien and Laird. It revolved around Dawson, with the rest being supporting pieces. It worked well in the back end of last year due to Dawson balling (Adelaide was in that fabled 'premiership zone' in the 6 weeks leading to finals) and it can't be understated just how potent the Dawson--Laird combination was in 2023, seeing Adelaide jumped up in production in spite of its struggles to find a reliable third midfielder throughout the year. It struggled this year because Dawson hit a rough patch and it lost the class that Laird/Crouch needed to be paired with it. That said, one of sports fundamentals is crisis = change and due to it Soligo is becoming a permanent feature in our mix, and balling. It's a bit of a wait and see with this group, because if Dawson can find that form again, it likely is a Crouch or a Laird that falls out of a midfield role. On top of that, there are also shades in what made Dawson a midfielder for us last year in Rankine game against Carlton.

Our key backs are Murray and Keane with Worrell as support, not Butts and Keane. Nothing that's happened in the last year has risked Muz spot as our primary shutdown defender. If anything, things have kind have gone his way with our defense getting isolated at a higher click in 2024 and that's an area Muz excels in compared to Butts. However, Keanes last month should have raised eyebrows that we might just have a bolter on our hands. Equally, Smith being called terrible is an overreaction. While I'm disappointed we went back to the half back flank well, seeing I liked his wing play, but really he's been at the same click as he's been in the last four years which is rather solid for a half back flanker. The end is near, but we're not quite at the cliff edge, yet.

We use Murphy and Jones because they're solid role players, and we're getting good performance for the most part from both, as much as both had a sluggish start to the year. At this point, there is little reason to have these two anywhere other than the best 22, but they're also role players and that also means they're one or two rough performances away from SANFL. McHenry is depth and is only in the side because Murphy did a knee (or his form dropped, but we won't find out for 2 weeks). I wouldn't be willing to put money on that we'd offer Ned a contract at the end of the year, 6 years and a small stuck in no-mans-land is not a great place to be.

Yup. However, we don't know when Tex is retiring - nor do we really have a feel for what life will be like without Tex - and we probably missed an opportunity due to a bit of bad luck, with TT doing a knee injury prior to Tex hurting his back + mourning. Of course you could make the case this has been something which has held TT, in particular, back seeing there isn't a whole lot of room to perform at a high click when Tex is putting up 50+ with respectable numbers from Fog. Fog is looking more and more like someone who is capped out as a 2nd KPF, which isn't a bad thing as much as it puts stress on the main problem inflicting Adelaide at the moment.

There was going to be a point where the SANFL well would start to run dry. After all, we are getting to the point in the cycle where we need to start shedding a lot of the kids who didn't make it from the 2020--2022 draft hauls. Still, there are some handy prospects in the pipeline and ideally, it shouldn't be long before we see Curtin or Pedlar (back) in the 22. It is time to bring the list to a more standard kind of distribution, age/experience wise.

Really, though the main issue hitting Adelaide list at the moment has been the same one that's held it back since 2022. It's not the bottom end of the lineup, the likes of Murphy, Keays, Jones, even Butts. There all performing at a respectable click for the position of the lineup they're in for long stretches of time. It's the group of players that include Rachele, Thilthorpe, Michalanney, Pedlar, Soligo, Berry, Fogarty, Schoenberg, Murray, Sholl, Worrell, Keane and Cook here as well as others who had a bit of buzz around them at some point over the last three years. Most have performed well, but Adelaide is stuck in a waiting game until some of this group steps up into being the high performers who lead the club. Soligo looks like he's started doing just that, ditto Murray before an ACL.

It is the bottom end.

Completely agree.

We have too many similar think types... but I don't see anyone who is strategically cluey.

Either the coash or the senior assistant should be great strategically.

It's worrying that the club leadership didn't realise they have a poor mix.

We are not going to go anywhere with the current coaching group.
I'm not sure they don't know. I'm pretty sure they knew in 2020 as well.

The coaching group isn't strong enough, but they gave up on trying to improve it for this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back