List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for fun:

This is The Adelaide Football Club for 2024, based best to worst with player ratings. Warranted some defensive efforts don't get noticed, so we'll ignore players like Michalanney, but I've compared some stats to 2023...

Smith and Walker have regressed, but not surprising for their age, and Walker is still comparatively doing so much more than others.
Hinge, Keane and Worrell have all shot up in the rankings, as well as Rankine and Soligo.

Huge regressions since their 2023 Season averages?

Dawson
Milera
Gollant
Pedlar
McHenry
Cook
Murphy

Here are the TEAM stats letting us down in 2024.

Turnovers - 2nd worst
Metres Gained - 5th Worst
Clangers - 3rd worst
CP's are decent, but UP's are in the bottom half
Centre Clearances woeful, but stoppage clearances decent
Contested Marks - Ranked Worst in AFL
Inside 50 Marks - Ranked Worst in AFL
Marks I50 per entry - Ranked Worst in AFL
Intercept Marks - Ranked Worst in AFL
Tackling I50 - 5th Worst in AFL

Nearly every single scoring stat is dreadful, but also a telling stat is that our kicking to offensive 1-1 contests is 2nd highest in the AFL, only behind Port, but our winning % is 3rd lowest in the AFL...

We have a huge contesting marking problem...

And as a testament to our defenders, we have the highest DEF 1-1 contest rate in the AFL, but our loss % is only middle of the table. Fantastic result. We also have the highest spoil rate in the AFL.

We also have the lowest Bounce rate in the AFL, no run and carry?

View attachment 1967936
View attachment 1967939
Turnovers are a killer in modern football, made even worse with a slow moving game style.

That is some awful stats

Nank had a bad game last week but I feel the game play has killed us, Nank wins the ball looks for a runner to come by and there’s no one there. turns once or twice and gets court holding the ball. We have had no run from our back line and on top of that is if we win the ball, we may bomb it to our forwards who can’t mark

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nankervis has shown enough to persist with unless he has several poor games in a row.

He was good before last week.

Besides some costly errors he was involved a fair bit of good play, I watched the Kayo mini and he features a lot
He was still better than Smith & has been in every game he has played this year.

I think the big question is, what do we want from a Ruckman??

ROB leads the competition in Hit Outs, Win % AND Hit outs to Advantage. This probably shows just how bad our midfield is doing...

It's just that ROB is generally pretty terrible at everything else.... But he's always been terrible at everything else. He ranks 16th in terms of player ratings for Rucks. Aside from a slight drop in Avg marks and Contested possessions, he's on track to have a statistically similar season to last. And yet we keep going with him.

Gawn is an outlier, an absolute beast in just about every facet, but if we look at Rucks like Grundy, Pittonet, Briggs, Cameron, Jackson, Rucks playing for top 8 sides, they all aren't top of the leaderboard in terms of Hit Outs, but their ability to affect the contest with their pressure, and ability to get the ball going forward and provide a contested option gives them IMPACT. ROB just doesn't have this. The modern ruckman is able to provide Defensive pressure around the contest, ROB is useless.

Both Marshall and O'Brien similar games played, both taken in the Rookie Draft

View attachment 1967133

Another good comparison is Xerri and ROB. More balanced again, particularly tackling and clearance work in place of a higher HO stat, essentially working hard as an extra midfielder.

View attachment 1967149
I've been thikning a bit about what I want from a Ruckman since yesterday:

- hitouts (obviously), but they need to be taken with a grain of salt
If all you can do is get a Hitout, you are a LIABILITY

so what else?
  • Physicality (tackles, hardball gets) - think Mumford, Ben Hudson. Not a complete liability below knees.
  • Contested marking - no excuse to get outmarked by anyone 190cm or shorter. Should be taking a decent contested clunk every week as a bailout option to halfback/wing, or in the F50.
  • Not a liability by foot
  • Ability to drift forward and be a danger i50 (see also contested marking).

If a ruck regularly lose the hitouts but can provide in the other areas, and manage 25-30 H/O at least, sign me up. There's no point getting 40 hitouts and doing sweet FA beside that.

There are a few rucks who tick off a few of the 'what else' areas, regardless of their H/O ability. ROB absolutely does NOT (save for the odd decent mark once every 6 weeks)

That is some awful stats

Nank had a bad game last week but I feel the game play has killed us, Nank wins the ball looks for a runner to come by and there’s no one there. turns once or twice and gets court holding the ball. We have had no run from our back line and on top of that is if we win the ball, we may bomb it to our forwards who can’t mark

My guess is they've been schooled so hard on setting up defensively that they're too afraid to run offensively. Nicks' coaching has really ruined these guys. Give Nank a bit more time and he won't be looking for the receive rn support, he'll know no one is coming past.

Oh sweet Jesus … make it happen AFC put your money where your mouth is

I honestly don't think it matters who we get until we get our management structure and coaching and development team right. There appears to be a lot of shady behind closed doors secret club kinda bullshit going on. Today I was wondering just how good this club and some of the players would be if not for the lack of real leadership.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nankervis has shown enough to persist with unless he has several poor games in a row.

He was good before last week.
You would leave him in the team to settle for the rest of the year. Get quality game time into him and let's see if we have a player. It's not like we need to see anymore of McHenry, Murphy, Parnell, Jones, Sholl.

I'm not a Cook fan but I would also give him quality game time for the remainder of the year.

This is absolutely the time to be playing Nank and Cook and give them a block of games.

Everyone makes mistakes.

You only get better from learning from these mistakes and no, it's nothing like playing in the SANFL.

Whilst not empowering our most talented players to go our there and learn from these mistakes at the highest level we are just creating a massive development debt and a steep cliff in our player development.

Last edited:
If Gulden was a 0.1% chance, LDU is a 1% chance I still hope we dangle a big, big deal in front of his manager to consider
Money isn't enough. We need the pitch.
Let's get KG and Cornesy to pick him up from the airport. They can tell tales of the legends of the AFC and show him that he could be groomed as an AM radio drive host post career, where he can work until he dies...and then Rowey and Ned to take him fishing.

I'm not making any real assumptions with my post. After all, we're just at the point where we need luck to turn our start into a genuine contender - which every team has to contend with. No premierships are won without a metric s**t tonne of things going your way. Heck, I even specified how that works by listing three examples where our list goes from being in a solid place to a very healthy one before we hit the off season.

Our midfield never revolved around Crouch, O'Brien and Laird. It revolved around Dawson, with the rest being supporting pieces. It worked well in the back end of last year due to Dawson balling (Adelaide was in that fabled 'premiership zone' in the 6 weeks leading to finals) and it can't be understated just how potent the Dawson--Laird combination was in 2023, seeing Adelaide jumped up in production in spite of its struggles to find a reliable third midfielder throughout the year. It struggled this year because Dawson hit a rough patch and it lost the class that Laird/Crouch needed to be paired with it. That said, one of sports fundamentals is crisis = change and due to it Soligo is becoming a permanent feature in our mix, and balling. It's a bit of a wait and see with this group, because if Dawson can find that form again, it likely is a Crouch or a Laird that falls out of a midfield role. On top of that, there are also shades in what made Dawson a midfielder for us last year in Rankine game against Carlton.

Our key backs are Murray and Keane with Worrell as support, not Butts and Keane. Nothing that's happened in the last year has risked Muz spot as our primary shutdown defender. If anything, things have kind have gone his way with our defense getting isolated at a higher click in 2024 and that's an area Muz excels in compared to Butts. However, Keanes last month should have raised eyebrows that we might just have a bolter on our hands. Equally, Smith being called terrible is an overreaction. While I'm disappointed we went back to the half back flank well, seeing I liked his wing play, but really he's been at the same click as he's been in the last four years which is rather solid for a half back flanker. The end is near, but we're not quite at the cliff edge, yet.

We use Murphy and Jones because they're solid role players, and we're getting good performance for the most part from both, as much as both had a sluggish start to the year. At this point, there is little reason to have these two anywhere other than the best 22, but they're also role players and that also means they're one or two rough performances away from SANFL. McHenry is depth and is only in the side because Murphy did a knee (or his form dropped, but we won't find out for 2 weeks). I wouldn't be willing to put money on that we'd offer Ned a contract at the end of the year, 6 years and a small stuck in no-mans-land is not a great place to be.

Yup. However, we don't know when Tex is retiring - nor do we really have a feel for what life will be like without Tex - and we probably missed an opportunity due to a bit of bad luck, with TT doing a knee injury prior to Tex hurting his back + mourning. Of course you could make the case this has been something which has held TT, in particular, back seeing there isn't a whole lot of room to perform at a high click when Tex is putting up 50+ with respectable numbers from Fog. Fog is looking more and more like someone who is capped out as a 2nd KPF, which isn't a bad thing as much as it puts stress on the main problem inflicting Adelaide at the moment.

There was going to be a point where the SANFL well would start to run dry. After all, we are getting to the point in the cycle where we need to start shedding a lot of the kids who didn't make it from the 2020--2022 draft hauls. Still, there are some handy prospects in the pipeline and ideally, it shouldn't be long before we see Curtin or Pedlar (back) in the 22. It is time to bring the list to a more standard kind of distribution, age/experience wise.

Really, though the main issue hitting Adelaide list at the moment has been the same one that's held it back since 2022. It's not the bottom end of the lineup, the likes of Murphy, Keays, Jones, even Butts. There all performing at a respectable click for the position of the lineup they're in for long stretches of time. It's the group of players that include Rachele, Thilthorpe, Michalanney, Pedlar, Soligo, Berry, Fogarty, Schoenberg, Murray, Sholl, Worrell, Keane and Cook here as well as others who had a bit of buzz around them at some point over the last three years. Most have performed well, but Adelaide is stuck in a waiting game until some of this group steps up into being the high performers who lead the club. Soligo looks like he's started doing just that, ditto Murray before an ACL.
OMG - a well thought out assessment that doesn't sound like someone has taken a stuffed rabbit away from a two year old. Thank you.

This is absolutely the time to be playing Nank and Cook and give them a block of games.

Everyone makes mistakes.

You only get better from learning from these mistakes and no, it's nothing like playing in the SANFL.

Whilst not empowering our most talented players to go our there and learn from these mistakes at the highest level we are just creating a massive development debt and a steep cliff in our player development.

I might be in the minority but I would persist with Cook,

He has a nice size and seems to have some good clean skills.

Ideally I think he would be better suited closer to goal as think he has some natural forward craft, not sure he is a wingman. See last week against Carlton he got into a nice position for the Fogarty pass to kick a goal.

Heck, he could easily replace McSpudey and you wouldn't even notice, in fact would be an upgrade.

That is some awful stats

Nank won't get dropped, i think he's offered a lot of two-way running, his pressure acts are up there, his DE is 4th best in the team, he lays tackles. Outside Soligo i think he's the one that's tracking really well for us.

Harry Barnett’s manager pretty much confirmed on Gettable on the AFL site he’ll be signing a contract extension with West Coast so shaping up again that Crows list management will again just put the fingers in the ears and close the eyes when it comes to looking at any future ruck options 🤮… maybe after 3 more putrid years of ROB they might look at the position again once Goad’s out of contract

Remove this Banner Ad

Back