Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Richmond have been keeping a very close eye on Max Roney for a few years. As you mentioned AFL clubs view his ability to transition run as a massive weapon. The knock would be that he’s not a massive accumulator of possessions but maybe they look past that and he gets on a rookie list.
I know Max (not well) and I’m not surprised he’s being monitored. He’s a smart kid with leadership qualities. The sort you’d want on a team. Was named in the best against Sydney over the weekend.

He’s had a good start to the campaign as a key defender and I’d expect him to be considered for Allies duties. Comes from a rowing background and has good endurance running stock in the family.

He’d be another Tasmanian for Richmond, too. Played footy at North Launceston, same as Mansell, Campbell and Nankervis, went through the SPC footy factory which has produced some talents over the years.

Interesting decision.

How much do you risk a 16 or 17 year old, against men.

For someone of his frame, I'd be more concerned about some of the men! But it is an interesting topic. James Aish played 2 years of senior SANFL and won premierships and was very skinny. JHF similar with 2 years nearly of senior SANFL.

I think a lot of it comes down to the coaches, matchups and the like and their respective views on development. I'm sure the conversations have been had about how to develop him but no doubt he could handle it.

Does anyone know if Ben Hopkins played at any level this weekend? Seems like he didn’t play for the CTL Stingrays.

Any star key forwards in the pick 23-25 range?
My advice would be to wait three more weeks until the national championships and then it would be a little more clearer but I have a funny feeling two or three key forwards are going to launch at these championships. As for the 23-25 range I wouldn't worry too much about it, with the technology and the recruiters these days they go anywhere and everywhere around Australia to scour the playing fields for talent and what they are looking for in terms of ability and potential.

Even after the champs still a long season for players who were either injured or that didn't get a go in their respective rep teams.to show late form and we know that is always a good pointer, we will have more of an idea then.

Sharp will be one of the favorites for the Larke, even as an underager imo.

If Draper is fit, it’s SA, not VC as the main threat to Metro’s midfield.
I will take O'Sullivan and Lalor ahead of Draper and Sharp, but we'll see.

Love the look of Bo Allan as a mid. Big, fast, powerful, aggressive.

The more good players the better! :thumbsu:

It's actually looking like a decent draft for key position players with a bit potential. Plenty of them are going to be available beyond pick 15 considering most of the top end talent are midfielders. Here is a list of key forwards who would be on the radar of most clubs, this is not including key defenders who could potentially end up as a key forward (Trainor, O'Farrell, M.Whitlock, Mraz ect).

Jonty Faull
Jobe Shanahan
Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
Jack Whitlock
Thomas Sims
Noah Howes (MSD eligible)
James Barrat
Harry Armstrong
Zac McInnes
Gabriel Stumpf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 SA tall forwards you can add to the above names as well.

Charlie West 195cm currently has a groin issue but hopefully right for the Nationals. Ran a 2.9 20m at the preseason testing. Contested marking his one wood.

The 2 Central Districts U18's twin towers

Tallan Rosenweig 197cm kicked a bag of 6 goals on the weekend.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm

3 SA tall forwards you can add to the above names as well.

Charlie West 195cm currently has a groin issue but hopefully right for the Nationals. Ran a 2.9 20m at the preseason testing. Contested marking his one wood.

The 2 Central Districts U18's twin towers

Tallan Rosenweig 197cm kicked a bag of 6 goals on the weekend.

Charlie Nicholls 197cm
I remember Charlie West having a good game at the u16s champs, he could be a bolter if he develops right.

I remember Charlie West having a good game at the u16s champs, he could be a bolter if he develops right.
Bit surprised WWT tall Tom Luck isn't in the final SA State Squad for the Championships as well given he's shown a bit coming through the junior pathways, AA at the U16's level. Could easily be developed as a tall forward.

Bit surprised WWT tall Tom Luck isn't in the final SA State Squad for the Championships as well given he's shown a bit coming through the junior pathways, AA at the U16's level. Could easily be developed as a tall forward.

What I saw of Tom Luck last year I liked so reading this is a bit disappointing.

All the APS schools have elite facilities, elite coaching around future elite players. If they're not at the school, they can be recruited, even interstate. Eg. Ryley Sanders, Nathan Sulzberger.

Most of the kids can afford the extras, the parents have high expectations, the coaching staff are experienced, everyone's connected to someone professionally, agents sign kids there, recruiters turn up to games - it builds this system. Nobody is scouting a Year 12 game out at Western suburbs game.

Vic Country still has a heavy private school influence. Few more public school or genuine country kids but still, money makes the difference.

There are fewer kids these days who grew up tough. That said, there are examples and that's why I rate the kids like Seth Campbell who overcame a lot just to make it.
All of this is spot on.
The APS broadcast via their Twitter feed, on release of the 31 player Vic Metro squad, that 20 are APS kids ! Surely some kind of record….
More than likely 2/3 minimum are scholarship recruits of that 20. Hence prior commentary again backed up on the cream being concentrated.
Families also play a role in this ‘arms race’ with numerous tales of kids being shipped around for the best deal.
Crazily of the 20, there’s 8 from Brighton Grammar - refer above point.
Head of sport @ BGS, also lured from Carey having been Footy Director, when Rowell, Anderson, N. Dacois were ‘attending’.
The metro school footy scene in VIC is just now this way. Along with the regional recruits now residing in the boarding houses of those schools who have them.

Sid Draper resumes from his bout of Shin Splints for the SA U18's trial game on Sunday morning against the GWS/Sydney Academy team. 10.30AM ACST at Thebarton Oval. Live streamed on Kommunity TV if you have a Newscorp subscription.

Live stream: SA U18s start national championship build-up with clash against Sydney/GWS Academies​

With the national championships looming large, South Australia’s top young footy players will be out to impress against a Sydney/GWS Academies side on Sunday. Catch it LIVE from 10.30am.

With the national championships looming large, South Australia’s top young footy players will be out to impress against a Sydney/GWS Academies side on Sunday. Catch it LIVE from 10.30am.

Positions in South Australia’s U18 boys team for this year’s AFL National Championships will be “up for grabs’’ at Thebarton Oval on Sunday.
The Croweaters are expected to rotate 28 players through an important trial game against

a Sydney/GWS Academies side, with coach Tony Bamford declaring “there are still plenty of spots up for grabs’’.

“A good performance this weekend will help a lot when we select our team to play the Allies in two weeks,’’ Bamford said.

“As coaches, we are looking to see which players can understand the role that we are going to ask them to play, given we are going to rotate quite a few players through the game.

“We are looking for players who understand what the role requires them to do and whether they can perform it under a bit of pressure.

“On top of that, we are looking for players who really want to stake their claim for the first nationals game.’’

You can catch the trial game LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on KommunityTV as part of the three-year deal between SANFL and News Corp which will showcase the best young male and female talent in the state.

SA will begin their national championship campaign against the reigning champion Allies on Sunday, May 26, in Adelaide.

The championships will involve five teams - SA, the Allies (comprising ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania), Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia.

The five teams will play each other once in a round-robin series, which ends with the two Victorian sides clashing on July 14.

Star Croweater Sid Draper - in top-five AFL draft contention this year - is expected to play his first game of the season on Sunday as he returns from a bad shin injury.

Bamford said that provided Draper gets through training unscathed this week he would play “about a quarter-and-a-half’’ against the Academies side as he is eased back into action.

Draper has been named SA’s captain for the championships, with Ben Camporeale and Kade Herbert vice-captains and Lucas Camporeale and Phoenix Hargrave deputy vice-captains.

Crows father-son prospect Tyler Welsh will line up for SA, along with Carlton father-son draft hopes Ben and Lucas Camporeale, who are the twin sons of Blues premiership midfielder Scott Camporeale.

Those already ruled out of Sunday’s game through injury include the Eagles’ Charlie West (groin) and Logan Hughes (knee), Central District’s Ryan Lane-Ellis (foot), South Adelaide’s Benny Barrett (hamstring) and Norwood’s Noah Daw (broken collarbone).

Over-age key forward Noah Howes won’t play because of league commitments with the Panthers.

He booted three goals in an impressive league performance against reigning premier Glenelg last Sunday.

Bamford is pleased with the talent at his disposal this season, believing SA’s midfield stocks run deeper than last year.

“We have significantly more midfield depth than we had last year, which will help us maintain intensity around the ball for longer periods because we can spread the workload across about eight-to-10 players as opposed to four-to-six last season,’’ he said.

“I’m pretty confident we have some good midfielders who will give our forwards a good look at it.

“Our strength is our midfield while we have some talent ahead of the ball and some developing players behind the ball.’’

Team lists for tomorrow's SA U18's vs Swans/Giants Academies trial game:

South Australia U18Swans/Giants Academies
2 Lucas Camporeale3 Nicholas Andreacchio
3 Benjamin Camporeale4 Lachlan Carmichael
4 Ned Bowman5 Declan Fitzpatrick
5 Evan Bradley6 Joe Harrison
7 Sid Draper7 Kaiden McNamara
8 Kade Herbert8 Max Rider
9 Louie Montgomery9 Josaia Delana
10 Luke Candy10 Isaac Baldwin
11 Phoenix Hargrave11 Lachlan Moresi
12 Joshua Reichelt12 Coby Hilton
13 Dakota Sterzl13 Jensen Hargreaves
14 Samuel Cumming14 Noah Chamberlain
15 Matthew LeRay15 Joel Cochran
16 Angus Clarke16 Ned Hawkins
17 Jacob Newton17 Jeromos Mills-Vasas
18 Rome Burgoyne18 Tom Ryan
19 Harley Barker19 Nicholas Fischer
22 Jett Hasting20 Jackson Savage
23 Harry Dodd21 Riley Hamilton
24 Dyson Sharp22 Riley Hayman
25 Charlie Nicholls23 Charlie McCormack
27 Ned Atkinson25 Harrison Podmore-Taylor
28 Tate Delmenico26 Logan Smith
29 Jevan Phillipou27 Cooper Bell
30 Tallan Rosenzweig
31 Thomas McKay
33 Aidan Schubert
34 Jacob Sheean
37 Ryan Borlace
40 Alexander Dodson
42 Tyler Welsh

TALLAN ROSENZWEIG (Central District/Faith Lutheran College) Key forward, 17, 197cm

“He’s the same height as Charlie (Nicholls) but he plays a bit deeper as a key forward. He’s very good on the lead, possessing really good leading patterns, and manages to get plenty of shots on goal for us. Tallan needs to tidy up his goalkicking accuracy a bit because he had eight scoring shots against North Adelaide in Round 2 and kicked 4.4. He also booted 2.3 in the next two games against Sturt and West Adelaide, so he needs to capitalise on his opportunities a bit more. But he is developing well and can also take a strong contested mark.’’ – Central Centre of Excellence and under-18s coach Kyle Jenner.

CHARLIE WEST (Woodville-West Torrens/Immanuel College) Key forward/ruck, 18, 195cm

“Charlie’s contested marking is his greatest weapon. He took 42 marks, including 20 contested, in six games as a bottom-ager at under-18 level last season, which highlights his marking ability. At his SANFL testing in February, he ran the 20m sprint in 2.9 seconds, which shows he has genuine speed for his size as well. He is the grandson of Wayne Jackson (former Eagles player and president and AFL chief executive) and is very much in contention for this year’s draft pool. He was an emergency for our league team in Round 1 but is carrying a bit of a groin injury at the moment. Charlie has massive upside.’’ – Eagles under-18 coach Shane Reardon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back