Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just my opinion but I'm not seeing the Pick 1 hype around Finn O'Sullivan. Feel like he could be a very very good player, reminds me a lot of Mitch Duncan who I've always thought was fantastic... But he doesn't have any traits for a midfielder that stand out to me which would allow him to reach the Dangerfield, Petracca, Walsh, Daicos sort of levels.

Might be a better performer than someone like Smillie but I can't help but feel he'd be preferred for his potential upside which most would want from a Pick 1 candidate.

Anyone else of the same thoughts?

Just my opinion but I'm not seeing the Pick 1 hype around Finn O'Sullivan. Feel like he could be a very very good player, reminds me a lot of Mitch Duncan who I've always thought was fantastic... But he doesn't have any traits for a midfielder that stand out to me which would allow him to reach the Dangerfield, Petracca, Walsh, Daicos sort of levels.

Might be a better performer than someone like Smillie but I can't help but feel he'd be preferred for his potential upside which most would want from a Pick 1 candidate.

What is the potential upside of a guy who is already close to their peak physically, against a guy who's 3-4 years off from that point that's got better footballing ability?

What is the potential upside of a guy who is already close to their peak physically, against a guy who's 3-4 years off from that point that's got better footballing ability?
A quite logical way to view it, both boys very good so with improvement from other players is the potential no1 draft pick a key defender or key forward? This year is really intriguing in many ways, who finishes in the bottom four, what players stagnate, what players let rip and whoever finishes last, will they split the pick for two or three first round picks?

Immediate impact against AFL bodies. He can focus on skill development instead of the gym. Can spend more time in the AFL early vs. stuck in the VFL at times.

Immediate impact against AFL bodies. He can focus on skill development instead of the gym. Can spend more time in the AFL early vs. stuck in the VFL at times.
Fair argument, I'm generally in favour of drafting for career > immediate impact, and reckon getting bodies to AFL standard is easier than improving certain aspects of footy

Fair argument, I'm generally in favour of drafting for career > immediate impact, and reckon getting bodies to AFL standard is easier than improving certain aspects of footy
It will come down to list profile and needs. I'd say immediate impact is often under appreciated when so many kids burn out during development. Always the risk they become injured or face other issues off-field. Or they never reach the potential. Not saying development isn't important and sometimes some players need the time.

Collingwood has had a few immediate impact kids drafted recently and the development stories have been very limited.

As mentioned above, I don't think Smillie is anywhere near his peak physically. He's as powerful as anything and has a piercing kick, not just a big body like George Stevens who was a total man child.

But it's not so much about Smillie anyway, I'm just wondering what others think separates O'Sullivan from the rest of the pack?

To me he's just a wonderfully well rounded player but has no real 'weapon' he can use to rip a game apart.

To me he's just a wonderfully well rounded player but has no real 'weapon' he can use to rip a game apart.
Overhead marking, decision making for sure, could argue endurance but I don't have testing results to confirm

Another few goals from Asher eastham from Gippsland Power. A light on forward in the under 16’s champs but looks to have put on a few kg’s over the summer and is reaping the rewards with a couple goals in each games where in both he missed “easy” set shot chances to give himself a small bag of 3-4 in both games. Surely one who will be rising up afl draft boards after an impressive start to the season

Hi All did anyone happen to see the Falcons game on the weekend V Murrary ?

Like the look of a Kid Josh Sanders Mid/Fwd was wondering where/if he could be drafted?

Would mind him at the Cats (another Wells Special)

I don’t love the game plan Tasmania’s been running. Playing with few talls, all about pressure instead.

Geordie Payne looks like one who’ll be considered again. Kicked six goals now in two games.

Others that might get a look in this year are Roney, Douglas, Depaoli-Kubank and potentially Dean.

The best players are underagers, though. They’ve got Ling at the standard, Wotton developing and some emerging TSL players including one who got named in the best.

Last edited:
Just looking at Smillie you can tell he's nowhere near his physical peak.
I agree. Smillie is miles off his physical and performance peak. O’Sullivan was called early by Twomey so the usual ground swell has happened but I’m not sure by draft night if he’s top 5. Time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t love the game plan Tasmania’s been running. Playing with few talls, all about pressure instead.

Geordie Payne looks like one who’ll be considered again. Kicked six goals now in two games.

Others that might get a look in this year are Roney and potentially Dean.

The best players are underagers, though. They’ve got Douglas and Ling at the standard, Wotton developing and some emerging TSL players including one who got named in the best.

What about the hyphen?

As mentioned above, I don't think Smillie is anywhere near his peak physically. He's as powerful as anything and has a piercing kick, not just a big body like George Stevens who was a total man child.

But it's not so much about Smillie anyway, I'm just wondering what others think separates O'Sullivan from the rest of the pack?

PMBangers mentioned marking and endurance. I'll add that I reckon O'Sullivan has one of the best sidesteps I've seen, which lets him operate really well in traffic, and go from inside to out really well. His agility in general is elite from the eye test and if I remember correctly he either won or finished second in the pre-season agility testing. He's really brave with his movement. Sometimes he gets it wrong and gets absolutely buried, but I like the bravery.

I really rate his kicking most of the time. Has that lovely timing where the ball seems to explode off his boot without him seeming to need to kick the cover off it.

O’Sullivan was called early by Twomey so the usual ground swell has happened but I’m not sure by draft night if he’s top 5
Cal Twomey didnt just pull Finn's name from nowhere, and it wasn't Cal's mention of him that has him at the top of the draft boards. Finn was named the MVP of the u16 champs. He turned in some excellent performances last season as a bottom ager for the Chargers. A lot of draft watchers have had him as the pick 1 favourite from a long way out. Doesnt mean he's a monty.

PMBangers mentioned marking and endurance. I'll add that I reckon O'Sullivan has one of the best sidesteps I've seen, which lets him operate really well in traffic, and go from inside to out really well. His agility in general is elite from the eye test and if I remember correctly he either won or finished second in the pre-season agility testing. He's really brave with his movement. Sometimes he gets it wrong and gets absolutely buried, but I like the bravery.

I really rate his kicking most of the time. Has that lovely timing where the ball seems to explode off his boot without him seeming to need to kick the cover off it.

Cal Twomey didnt just pull Finn's name from nowhere, and it wasn't Cal's mention of him that has him at the top of the draft boards. Finn was named the MVP of the u16 champs. He turned in some excellent performances last season as a bottom ager for the Chargers. A lot of draft watchers have had him as the pick 1 favourite from a long way out. Doesnt mean he's a monty.

Further, plenty of these names have been followed as far back as 2017 and 2018.

Hey I’m not saying Finn can’t be #1, I just don’t think he will be. I know Finns achievements thus far have been impressive but that guarantees him nothing! And Twomey drives a lot of the hype, just listen to his weekly Gettable show he says the same things over and over about the same kids. Finn being one of them. Thats not Finn’s fault in fact he probably hates it but what happens is many just follow. Anyhow I think Smillie is a better pick at this stage.

I think a part of FOS (not even my number 1 tbh) being a better prospect atm is moreso to do with smaller midfielders becoming more impactful and important to the game from my POV. I'd argue most of the best mids currently are elite below their knees and offer a lot with their disposal.

It might be a case of the number 1 being the better fit.

Smille should be 1 on our board as he bring something completely different to our midfield. Where as WCE might go for O’Sullivan - as they have the grunt with Gibney and Reid and would also have a good replacement for Gaff.

It might be a case of the number 1 being the better fit.

Smille should be 1 on our board as he bring something completely different to our midfield. Where as WCE might go for O’Sullivan - as they have the grunt with Gibney and Reid and would also have a good replacement for Gaff.
I have zero qualms with us going O'Sullivan should we have pick 1, or Jagga Smith, even if he is not as good as O'Sullivan in the air.
Interested to see how Christian Moraes continues to go as I wouldn't put it outside of the realms of possibility for him to be right there come draft time. Draper is probably the other one (depending on how he returns from injury).

I think a part of FOS (not even my number 1 tbh) being a better prospect atm is moreso to do with smaller midfielders becoming more impactful and important to the game from my POV. I'd argue most of the best mids currently are elite below their knees and offer a lot with their disposal.
Who've you got number one?

Leonardo Lombard - He is a vfl premiership player right?
He seems to get a lot of footy and makes good decisions, he would have to be a top 10 consideration right?

Leonardo Lombard - He is a vfl premiership player right?
He seems to get a lot of footy and makes good decisions, he would have to be a top 10 consideration right?
d219f8b3a0460979d78922a8faa36aa3

Some currently have Leo going as high as pick three but most seem to acknowledge that he's at least in contention for a top 10 selection this year. It'll probably come down to how he goes in the national championships with the defending champion Allies team. I suspect he'll get to play plenty of VFL footy this year when he's not required for rep/academy games and that will obviously push his case as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back