Player Watch #10 Maurice Rioli Jnr

Remove this Banner Ad

If MRJ keeps improving at this rate he's going to make me look foolish. I can now (finally) see the upside. I'm starting to get excited about what this kid might be producing when he hits 50 games.
Fair few of us eating our words re Rioli
Never been happier to be wrong

If MRJ keeps improving at this rate he's going to make me look foolish. I can now (finally) see the upside. I'm starting to get excited about what this kid might be producing when he hits 50 games.
People forget me incl how far back he came from , nt junior footy would be < high school std . Plus there’s little doubt the coaches have backed him

I’ve been supportive of Hugo, Dow, Lefau etc…
and about our only youngster I didn’t back in to make the grade was Maurice Minor (I did early days but he lost me during 2023..) and he looks like being better than the lot.

A deadset bonus … I hope he realises the sky is the limit for where he can take his footy to. We desperately need a few elite players ‘from the clouds’ and he could be one of them.

It’s funny how the Rioli name in general hasn’t resulted in them being drafted higher … Cyril 12, Daniel 17, Willie 52, Maurice 51, Dean (rookie)….

They’ve all had careers that have far exceeded where they got drafted…. Just strange that recruiters haven’t seen the name and just gone ‘forget their junior stuff, it’s a Rioli, they’ll be a gun’.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I told you that they would be valuable players all last season , but you love your tractors. 🚜 😂
I will give you Miller, in fact I was very quick to point out that you rode him like sea biscuit when the rest of us couldnt see it.

MJR, I didnt write him off.

Last edited:
I always had MRJ down for his potential. Just getting fit and playing smart. Very happy he is doing what I hoped for, and perhaps better. As a junior he showed a lo of tricks.

Miller I always have said was an AFL standard KPD. Never really did it as a forward, despite having the tools. Hope he keeps improving.

Groupie_ Lukey Meehan has done a superb job conditioning Maurice this season, turned him out looking a ball of muscle. :hearteyes:

Pretty sure it was Meehan's brilliant camel resilience idea that made something click in Maurice Minor's mind. This is the thing with Meehan, always thinking outside the box, ahead of the curve, always seeing around corners.
wonder if he drives an au ltd

heard he drives a vq statesman

******* enemy. If I saw a Statesman on one of my rare AU forays onto the streets of this crazy city, I would feel compelled to try to run it off the road. Statesman, great car in theory, but Holden. Peter Brock thought some atomiser thing attached to his engine would make him go faster, tells you all you need to know Gru. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you think motivated him to get the "work in"

Who do you reckon went running laps with him at 6 in the morning on non training days ?

Adem Yze, that's who
Just thinking on it..Maurice left the club Round 24 August 2023 unfit and out of condition. He returned to the club start of training in 2024 quite fit & no midriff, looking at club photos

Credit to Maurice for that. His challenge had been off season dietary discipline.

Kudos to Yze for the extras they did.

Love that he's making me eat my words - I had him for the tip heap last year. Is evolving into a very good player right before our eyes.
MRJ or Meehan?

Sorry I read your reply and thought Meehan???

Then looked at the thread title and went 'oh is that what this thread is about?'

He clearly came back in better shape this pre-season then he did last pre-season

Not amazing shape but certainly better. As long as he continues to learn that the better he keeps his condition during the offseason the better he plays then he can have a good career
He should reach his peak fitness level by 30. Harsh but he should not be getting a game until his condition is improved.

Fair few of us eating our words re Rioli
Never been happier to be wrong
I had him as a certain delisting at the start of the year after he came back so unfit. Still has a few issues with decision making, but his offensive work is getting better every game, so I think he can work through it.

He looked completely different last game, taking marks, being proactive, if he was a racehorse I would suggest swabbing him. Hope he keeps it up, could develop into another Shai Bolton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back