Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukosius is kinda closer to Todd Marshall up forward or Whitfield type down back, he's not competitive enough in the contest.
We definitely need some competitive campaigners like the Dees (Kozi, JVR) and Pies (Maynard, McCreary) have drafted.

Which of the mids in the draft runs both ways? Smillie has the height but does he work back to help his defenders?
Sick of lazy mids who don't work back hard enough.

Logue is average.
Chom looks the goods but history dictates he does an injury next week.
W. Dawson is an unknown.
K. Dawson is average.

They simply won't do.

There needs to be a Taylor, Weitering, May etc incorporated into that mixture - elite defensive skills.

Agree wholeheartedly with the mongrel though. We are about as terrifying as spring flowers.
We probably need both a young key defender and key forward through the draft and a more mature key forward via trade or free agency to help Larkey immediately.

Not entirely sure that "unearthing a key defender should be the club's priority"

As it currently stands, I believe we have Logue, Comben, Wil Dawson and Kallan Dawson to work with moving forward. Between those 4, I think we will be fine. What we need is a bigger bodied midfielder, centre half forward and a small forward.

We also need players in general that have a bit of mongrel about them.
Good post BLU, while we've sort of addressed our needs in some areas we need promising youngsters as a backdrop so we can keep building. Our key forward area was addressed by bringing in Tyler and Finnbar, so we will be giving them time as key position players do take longer. Maybe one more, but if we couldn't attract someone in the trade period then unless someone goes crazy at the Nationals I would be looking at maybe Jasper Scaife from West Perth as roos__fanatic08 said or the player I am so big on and have been for a couple of years is Kayle Gerreyn also from West Perth who I predict to not only be the best young forward in Australia this year but depending How they play him at the nationals.

The young man easily has the talent to not only break into that top 10 at the draft but take hold and show what he can do! The problem, is he's playing ruck and having stints in the forward line and his ruck craft is improving all the time but gee wiz if at the nationals he played solo forward and they can get the ball down to him you'll see how good he is. So, so early I know, but as North supporters there is not a lot to get excited about, just yet. From the eye, all the key forwards are pretty raw which is what you would expect, some promising ones are Jack Whitlock, Jonty Faull and Jobe Shanahan who is also a big watch for the rest of the year.

The midfield does look set to me although losing Tarryn does ask the question do we go down that road again? A small forward ah yes, what are those? We are relying on Robert Hansen Jnr to an extent, I like him but he needs time and getting games into him will be a priority down the track. Again one more is the go for list balance, hate to do it but look at Port last year, two small forwards in one draft, never underestimate the role of a dangerous small forward! Finally players with a bit of mongrel about them, couldn't agree more, at the moment instead of being in the Pacific Ocean we are paddling around in the dead sea!

Pick 1 to Gold Coast for Lukosius and their first round pick (Trainor)
2 keys in areas of need.
Not bad Newbie Real Talk, but I'm afraid we're as much chance of getting Jack as we are finishing in the "eight" this year! Gold Coast have more youngsters in their academy coming through so will be offloading their picks in this draft and they won't be the only club this year to do this! Jack is going to be an important player in their structure in the next seven years so I'm pretty sure with Dimma at the helm he's staying.

Lukosius is kinda closer to Todd Marshall up forward or Whitfield type down back, he's not competitive enough in the contest.
We definitely need some competitive campaigners like the Dees (Kozi, JVR) and Pies (Maynard, McCreary) have drafted.

Which of the mids in the draft runs both ways? Smillie has the height but does he work back to help his defenders?
Sick of lazy mids who don't work back hard enough.
"Finn O'Sullivan".

As a hayfever sufferer, spring flowers are pretty terrifying!
Me to!
will priscilla chan GIF

Another excellent Colts performance from Kayle Gerreyn. He dominated his opponents in the ruck all day providing hit outs to advantage his teammates or often just grabbing the ball and driving it forwards himself. He even showed some of his potential as a key forward, chipping in with two goals.

What’s the fitness level of a guy who transitioned to cricket? I’d imagine there would be a degree of catch up for aerobic, lactic and anaerobic running
It’s pretty good, he takes a tea break 20 minutes into the first quarter, has lunch at halftime then stops for a drinks break 5 minutes into the last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another excellent Colts performance from Kayle Gerreyn. He dominated his opponents in the ruck all day providing hit outs to advantage his teammates or often just grabbing the ball and driving it forwards himself. He even showed some of his potential as a key forward, chipping in with two goals.

reminds me of Hawkins a bit

For the Sandgropers out there, his dad was Chris Gerreyn, who almost won the WAFL goalkicking one year in the mid-90s, and won a couple of flags I think.

On Gettable, Twomey has Josh Smillie, FOS or Luke Trainor as possible #1 options for us.
Wow, as I was making that video above I was thinking to myself... is there any reason why Trainor can't be pick 1? And then thought... nah its still way too soon to put him up that high.

Its just so even this year that a strong patch of form moves a guy up 10 spots or more.

Wow, as I was making that video above I was thinking to myself... is there any reason why Trainor can't be pick 1? And then thought... nah its still way too soon to put him up that high.

Its just so even this year that a strong patch of form moves a guy up 10 spots or more.
Like most of us, I appreciate your draft watching - in which regard, your thoughts on the depth of this draft relative to a weak VFL side (coburg) beating the academy?

Like most of us, I appreciate your draft watching - in which regard, your thoughts on the depth of this draft relative to a weak VFL side (coburg) beating the academy?

Collingwood VFL smashed the Wardlaw, Sheezel, Ashcroft, Cadman, Weddle, Phillipou, McKenzie, Tsatas side.

These guys barely train together and they play together as this group once in their careers.

The team result means very little, you are really just looking for individual performances vs mature bodies and a faster standard of footy.

I think the real pointy end is a bit weak, but there should be plenty of depth. I'm expecting solid AFL level players to be picked deep into the second round.

I wouldnt worry too much about how things looked against Coburg. Its a difficult challenge to bring a group of kids together and implement enough of a game plan to get something cohesive out on the park, plus half the side are midfielders that are rotating through on ball and mostly playing out of position. Its pretty common for kids to under perform in the academy side.

For me, I try and take the positives from it. If a kid has a standout game like Trainor, or last year Harley's domination of game 1, or Wardlaw the season before that... then that's a big tick in their favour, but if a kid under performs then I personally am not too concerned.

Edit: Just one more note, we havent seen anything from Draper and Lalor yet in 2024, both probable top 10, even top 5 players... and we've seen less than 1 quarter from an uninjured FOS. There's a lot to come yet from the pointy end of the draft.

Last edited:
Two big watches for me once they get back out on the park is Sam Lalor and Jonty Faull from the GWV Rebels.

Sam is a bit of a Luke Parker clone with his physicality, tackling, clearance ability and overhead marking. Real competitive beast. Played in the midfield for Geelong Grammar last week and had 2 goals to half time then swung forward and kicked another 5 in the 2nd half.

Jonty is still a weeks away from resuming from a back issue, but I really like his natural forward craft last year and his ability to get up the ground as a lead up option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back